GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that just joined the Forum a couple of days ago and has not learned how to post and ask questions ,so I am asking for him. He has a 1997 Trike that goes dead when he rides it . It went dead yesterday and after a jump made it home. Purchased a new battery and installed . It started up just fine but when he went for a short ride of about 4 miles ,it went dead again and he had to get a jump again to get home. When he first put the new battery in ,it started as normal . He then disconnected the battery to test the alternator and the bike ran just fine but died shortly after he started his ride. He has checked the battery connections and everything is good. Could this problem still be the alternator or another problem ?

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I have a friend that just joined the Forum a couple of days ago and has not learned how to post and ask questions ,so I am asking for him. He has a 1997 Trike that goes dead when he rides it . It went dead yesterday and after a jump made it home. Purchased a new battery and installed . It started up just fine but when he went for a short ride of about 4 miles ,it went dead again and he had to get a jump again to get home. When he first put the new battery in ,it started as normal . He then disconnected the battery to test the alternator and the bike ran just fine but died shortly after he started his ride. He has checked the battery connections and everything is good. Could this problem still be the alternator or another problem ?
I have no knowledge of 4th gen Wings. However, I do have experience with battery, charging, and starting systems. His issue can be either of those systems. After he verifies that he has a good battery, yes I did read he has a new one, but that only means that he has a new one. It does not mean that the new battery is good. After he has his battery tested, he will then need to test the charging system.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
He needs to put a voltmeter on the battery posts and see what the voltage is when he revs the engine to 2000 rpms. If it’s below 13V, his alternator is not charging correctly. This could be a blown fuse or the alternator. Tell him to check the cables and clean them really good where they contact and mount to the battery first.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Agree with all the above about ‘a good battery’ and testing the running voltage of the bike. Another item to consider is that there is a heavy draw on the battery from an electrical component failing. That would be what I’d check into after confirming that it is charging and a battery holds a charge.
Had a trike towed to me from Duluth one Sunday when I had a visit from my brother. I found the wiring incorrectly routed and worn through near the trike frame portion. I had to give them my spare 1500 alternator to get back to the twin cities. Never did get that alt back. LOL, it was towed to me by an 1800 2 wheeler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts