GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 goldwing sat for a year with no battery tender. Battery measured 6 volts open circuit. I charged the battery for 5 days with a 2 amp charger. When I checked the voltage of the battery open circuit after 5 days it read only 10 volts. My charger is good I checked it by charging another battery. The battery charger current meter indicated 2 amps current draw with the other battery but with the motorcycle battery it only indicated 100 milliamps. I also checked everything with my fluke meter current draw and voltage of battery charger and battery everything ok. So motorcycle battery looks like it needs replacement. Anything else to check?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nope, I think the 5 year old battery is done. Time to move on, if you plan on not riding it for a year again best put a battery tender on it.:roll:

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Yep. Check prices on new battery. I like the way DLP ships them.

prs

·
Registered
267 Posts
time to get a new one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:roll:
I say that your old battery has about bit the dust mainly because of letting it set for a year or so as you said.

Now if you game for a little experiment, remove the battery from the bike and hook up a light to it and let the battery draw down to about nothing.

Then put a 6 or 8 or 10 amp car charger on it for about 10-15 minutes then check the battery voltage to see what is there. If it appears to be coming up then I'd go maybe another 10 minutes or so to get it around 10 volts. Then put a battery tender type of maintainer on it and see it it will bring the battery up to about 12.6 volts +. This procedure "might" knock off some/enough of the sulfation that has accumulated because of the battery setting for a year.

HOWEVER....BE CAREFUL as you could explode the battery by using a larger amp car charger. On the other hand...I've seen this work sometime. If the battery won't come up to the 12 volts or won't keep the 12 volts while back in the bike.....you definitely need a new one. Good Luck!

:?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ant,

Forget all the craziness and get a new Yuasa YTX20HL-BS.

You will be happy. Your bike will be happy. The world will be a better place!...LOL

Don't forget to recycle!

Bulldog

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since its 5 years old I bought a new one at pep boys. I have a battery tender and a 2/10 amp battery charger. Added in the acid then charged up the new one at 2 amps for 6 hrs 45 min per instructions then load tested it with a battery load tester. The new one passes all tests. I don't believe the old original battery was made better than the new one as some are saying. Also all batteries are made by 2 manufacturers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a FYI for anyone putting a new battery in their wing. The initial charge should be done at 10amps to a full charge. After that you can charge it at 2 amps or with a battery tender. Don't ask me why it is this way but it is, chargeing at the lower rate decreases battery life.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The instructions with the battery specifically say not to fast charge it at 10 amps. I will follow the instructions. When the acid is added in there is an initial charge in the battery so 10 amp charging is unnecessary. 2 amps at 6.75 hrs is 13.5 amp hours battery rated at 18 amp hrs 4.5 amp hrs is initial charge.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Ant,

Forget all the craziness and get a new Yuasa YTX20HL-BS.

You will be happy. Your bike will be happy. The world will be a better place!...LOL

Don't forget to recycle!

Bulldog
5 years old time for a new battery
Yuaasa is da brand to get

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Even a battery at 4 years is questionable. I use a tender whenever I plan on not riding for any length of time. The CB1000 is also on a tender. Better to plug in, unplug and turn the key and go then to take a chance of not starting because of lack of use.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Since its 5 years old I bought a new one at pep boys. I have a battery tender and a 2/10 amp battery charger. Added in the acid then charged up the new one at 2 amps for 6 hrs 45 min per instructions then load tested it with a battery load tester. The new one passes all tests. I don't believe the old original battery was made better than the new one as some are saying. Also all batteries are made by 2 manufacturers.
That is unfortunately a tag line that the mass retailers use to convince buyers that their house brand battery is made by the same company that their OEM battery is made by. Unfortunately, it is false, yet everyone buys into it.

There are over 200 battery manufacturers in the US. (actual mfrs, not retailers). I don't know the exact number, but dozens of them make lead acid batteries for the automotive/ motorcycle industry.

Even if a battery is built in the same plant as your OEM, specifications and quality vary wildly. It all depends on the price point that a particular retailer is trying to hit. The mfr can build whatever the retailer wants. they just adjust the quality of the materials to match the price.

Don't every think that a product is the same as an OEM product with just a different label. These claims by retailers is just a huge scam. If it doesn't have the OEM label, it isn't the same battery. It might actually be better than OEM, but that is unlikely if it is cheaper.

I stay away from house brand labels with most products, whether it be Best Buy, Auto Zone, Pep boys. You have absolutely no way of knowing who was in charge of spec'ing the product from the manufacturer. (Retailers do not have the expertise or engineering knowledge to do it.)

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Same one year warranty as yuasa.
I consider battery warranties to be about as worthless as tire warranties. I would expect even the cheapest battery to last one year. Mfr's know how badly customers abuse batteries. Even the highest quality battery is just as susceptible to abuse as a cheap one. That is why mfr's can't offer lengthy warranties.

When a battery is rebranded, the mfr's reputation is hidden and protected. If a battery develops a bad rap, just re-label it and re-market it. The worst part about private label batteries is that retailers often change suppliers from one year to the next based on who gives them the best price. But they all get the same label.

A well known brand like Yuasa can't hide. They have to put out a quality product to survive.

My bike is 10 years old and the Yuasa battery has only been replaced once. When I replaced it after 4 years, it was out of GP. The battery still worked fine. My second battery is now 6 years old. I will probably replace it this winter, also just out of GP. Your Yuasa battery lasted 5 years, and only died because you admittedly abused it. You can't ask for much more than that out of a battery.

You may have bought a good battery from Pep Boys. There is no way to know. I hope you get long service from it. It is just my own personal preference to buy nothing but name brand batteries because I know who made it. My only goal in my previous post was to help people read through the retailer BS and at least know what they are buying. If you still decide it's the best choice, that's fine.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
My five year old Westco is dying. I can only get 80% charge on it which is sufficient to keep it running with a tender. There is a Shorai sitting in the basement ready to go but I'm squeezing the last volt outta the Westco. Now, if the Shorai is going to last twice as long as a 'normal' battery then I will probably get 10 years out of it.

I am, however, firmly convinced that batteries get "addicted" to tenders. Once you start to use one, you then must use one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The pep boys battery was not cheap but reasonably priced. I have had several pep boys automotive batteries in my cars over the years and they all gave good service. None failed prematurely. I also had die hard,bosch,exide etc didnt notice any difference. If the pep boys motorcycle battery lasts 3 or 4 years I am satisfied. I have a battery tender for it. I have an old car and it would sit for a year without being driven with the battery connected. I did not charge the battery for a year as well. Each year I would go out and charge it for 2 or 3 days and the battery would be fine (did this for 5 years straight). Car would crank fine and start. So I thought I could do the same with the bike obviousley no it must be charged periodically or the battery will fail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts