GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I rode bike home for lunch today. Got off the bike and went in and had a bite to eat. Come back out and notice the key is still on. I had left the key on for approximately 40 minutes max. It wouldn't even think about turning over. Dead as could be. I was parked next to my truck so got out my cables and jumped the bike. Rode to work about a mile. Bike started fine after work. My question is should the battery go that dead in 40 minutes? I put the multimeter on it after work and it reads ok with 11+ volts. Should I be getting ready to buy a new battery?

Also, when I took the side cover off I notice the dark trim piece has a broken top nipple. Anyone out there replaced their stock trim piece and willing to sell it? I don't want the chrome trim am kind of fond of the dark metallic gray as honda describes it.

Side cover: PROTECTOR SET, L. SIDE *NH303M*
AXIS GRAY METALLIC P/N 83710-MCA-000ZA H/C 6544092

Attachments

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I would load test the battery...is it the original? If so, change it out.
If you still have the broken piece to the side panel, it can be glued back on...

·
Registered
264 Posts
A battery with 11 volts is < 1/2 charged, it should read a min of 12.4 VDC, I would get it tested and be ready to buy a new one.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
40 minutes seems about right with the key on, your running your headlights too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, headlights on low beam and fog lights on.

I am not really sure if it IS the original battery but looking over maintenance records I don't see where either of the two original owners had the dealer replace the battery and most every thing else it appears they had the dealer do. I'll assume its the original so it is overdue for a new battery. I'll have it load tested and prepare to get another. Especially now before colder weather hits. I'll be driving it as much as possible this winter. I just really find it hard to get in the pickup to drive a mile to work anymore when I can drive one of the bikes and park much closer to the front door at work.

The broken nipple is still in the grommet. I will take it out and put the good old super glue to it!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have the original battery on my 2006 with 88,000 miles. About a year ago I left the key on and went in with some friends to eat lunch. We were there every bit of any hour, came out and the bike wouldnt even light up the headlight. We jumped it off and its been cranking perfect ever since!

I probably should replace it but hate to replace a good battery.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
If your battery was fully charged and in perfect condition at the start, two 55w headlight bulbs and say two 50w fog light bulbs plus ignition, maybe 10w, = 220w / 12 volts = 18 amps x .67 hours = at least 12.3 amp-hours gone out of 18 max available, so battery woud be at 30%. I'd say it wouldn't crank. Did I do that right?
I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
drill a hole through the middle of the broken post and put a sheetrock screw through it and into the cover before you glue it... :thumbup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Current draw

Just checked the bike for current draw when the ignition is turned on, with no fog lights and just the low beams on. The amp meter reads 12.3 amps. Add two fog lights at 50w for another 8 amps and it get ups to 20 some. At those levels your battery is pretty well dead in 40 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts