GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing how many salesmen were demonstrating my Wing's stereo in the dealership showroom or the previous owners 4 months of ownership without using a battery tender... When I turn my ignition key on, the volt meter beeps (low voltage) and shows 11.2 volts. My Wing starts right, but takes 6-8 seconds of running on high idle warm up before the volt meter shows it's 13.8 volts. Also. I get home from a ride, let the Wing cool down 2-3 hours and then plug in my Battery Tender. The Battery Tender goes into charge mode (red light) for about and hour or so before the green light on the BT comes on? Does this sound like my battery is not going to last too much longer?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It's normal for your volt meter to show a charge after about 20 seconds after start up. My battery tender behaves the same wayas your's. When you turn your your key, you are turning on your headlight, fuel pump and other electrical devices. Your battery should be about 13 volts with out a load on it. (key off)

·
Registered
292 Posts
ZEFR said:
Not knowing how many salesmen were demonstrating my Wing's stereo in the dealership showroom or the previous owners 4 months of ownership without using a battery tender... When I turn my ignition key on, the volt meter beeps (low voltage) and shows 11.2 volts. My Wing starts right, but takes 6-8 seconds of running on high idle warm up before the volt meter shows it's 13.8 volts. Also. I get home from a ride, let the Wing cool down 2-3 hours and then plug in my Battery Tender. The Battery Tender goes into charge mode (red light) for about and hour or so before the green light on the BT comes on? Does this sound like my battery is not going to last too much longer?
My bike came with a weak battery.
Dealer replaced if for free after 6 months

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Art H. said:
.... Your battery should be about 13 volts with out a load on it. (key off)
12.7 or 12.8 volts is reasonable for a fully charged battery on the Wing.

Also, make sure your voltmeter is accurate. My alternator is usually 14.2 to 14.4 volts when the battery is already fully charged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts