GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I read a couple excellent threads about batteries and came away with questions:

1) Looked in Direct Line for a battery and found that there are "choices". Which is optimum battery to buy considering cranking amps/warranty and, of course cost.

2) This is probably stupid: If I buy a 12 volt power outlet and hook it up in the left storage pocket, will I be able to plug my battery saver into it?

3) There are a lot of variables here, but: My bike is a 2008 with about 17,000 miles on it. Should I put a new battery in it before taking a big run? (I ride a 650 Burgman to work and to town 10 months out of the year in Pennsylvania, just so the roads aren't frozen and it isn't "pouring". So, go easy on the "shiner" remarks.)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Without a doubt, the Yuasa is a very good battery. It will be shipped to you dry accompanied by a fluid pack. Once you fill the battery per the instructions, you will need to charge the battery prior to installation. I believe the Yuasa has a 6 month warranty.

As you live in PA, you might consider a DEKA ETX20L. This is also a premium battery, is made in East Penn and is ready for installation right off the shelf. They carry a 1 year warranty.

Keeping a battery on a "tender" will certainly extend it's life.

Good Luck

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just replaced my battery and here is what I considered when I purchased, the bike was a 2007 with just over 20,000 miles when the battery started acting up letting me know it was on its way out soon. I could have bought a more expensive battery with a promise, hope and dream of longer life, but in reality, I'll forget about that 4 years down the road. I ended up getting a battery from a local vendor that had a god price on the factory yuasa battery, I think I paid 70-80 dollars. So if I assume 80 bucks for sake of keeping it simple 80/4 is only $20 per year, I'm good with that. Sure the promise of a longer life is nice, but the cost is more and as long as it works well I see no reason to upgrade to the best of the best and empty my wallet more. Also, if you have a batterybug to monitor the battery I hear it doesn't work well with the lithium style batteries. On that note, I suggest a battery bug style monitor to keep track of things and give you a warning before your stuck on the road (reminds me, I still need to order one myself).

On to question 2- yes you can put the plug in the left storage pocket and plug your tender in there, the only catch it, the plug has to be directly connected to the battery (through a fuse of course). If you use the acc plug designed for the plug in that spot, you won't have a connection to the battery when the bike is off so it won't work like that. I have a battery tender plug in my left passenger storage pocket that I use, I can also use it to plug in a power port while riding and charge my cell phone or anything else she wants it for. Really doesn't get much use in that capacity, but its there if I want it.

Should you replace the battery before a big run- hard to tell. Has the bike been showing signs of a degraded battery lately? How often do you use the tender? How often do you ride?

I think the big problem with my battery was two deployments I had. Sure, it was on the tender for those, but the bike wasn't started as often as it should have been and it was not ridden at all. So in a 2 year time frame it sat for 14 months, that can't be good for the battery.

·
Registered
437 Posts
battery life

you probably have a couple years left from your battery, I have a small shop and sell batteries, the wing batteries average about 5years, I replace with the yuasa same as oem, I figure 5year lifespan and great preformance and reasonable cost as good reasons to stick with the oem, I just replaced mine in my 06 about 2months ago, their our other choices but I don't think you really need to improve over the oem battery

·
Registered
116 Posts
Battery

All said and done, I get mine at Wal Mart and pay about $80 and they last 3 to 4 years with the bike sleeping from November to April on a battery tender here in NH.
I am sure there are better batteries around, but I never had any problems with the ones I buy, so why change. :thumbup:

Rosy
From NH

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't know how popular they are in the rest of the country but here in Western PA I always had good luck with Interstate brand batteries in my other motorcycles. In fact, the local Kawasaki dealer stocks them instead of Yuasa brand.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Agree with Transformer, the Deka is an excellent quality battery. I have been using them for many years in my vehicles, lawn tractor and motorcycles with no issues. The one currently in my Wing was purchased in April 2003 and still cranking strong. You can calculate the age. My battery tender plus is always connected when the bike is at rest in the garage.

You can also purchase the "Big Crank" ETX20L from Battery Mart. It is a Deka battery sold under a different name. The Westco SVR is also a Deka battery.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
My bike was put into service on 04/21/06, and the original battery is still going strong.
I don't use a tender, but I do remove it for winter storage.
When it is time to replace it, I'll go OEM.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My bike was put into service on 04/21/06, and the original battery is still going strong.
I'm with you on that one. Bought my '06 on 06 July 2006. 106,000 on the stock battery and still going strong. I'm a firm believer that sitting batteries kill themselves over time...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here in Ca. batteries from Wally mart (no guarantee) and Motorcycle shop (3 mo. guarantee) are very close to same price. Went to Batteries Plus cheaper by a few bucks but 3 yr. guarantee no questions asked no recite needed.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The OEM battery has been in the bike since 11/05 when I bought it new.

I hooked up the quick disconnect for the Battery Tender and let it hang in the air vent of the left side cover with enough slack in the wires, so I can pull it out to hook it up..

I have a plug in the garage, next to where I park the Bike, and hook it up after almost every ride. (Generally we only ride on the weekends)

I had a Honda Rebel & a Nighthawk with Yuasa Batteries, and had to replace the Batteries in them yearly, even using the Tender ??

But, when the one in the Wing finally dies, I will go back with an OEM Battery based on how good this one has been.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Don't know how popular they are in the rest of the country but here in Western PA I always had good luck with Interstate brand batteries in my other motorcycles. In fact, the local Kawasaki dealer stocks them instead of Yuasa brand.

Interstate's are made by Yuasa.

If you're near East Penn (Deka), check on a blem. I just purchased one. The price will floor you. I will not publish it out the respect for the retailers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. This is the first I've signed on for a few days.

I'm trying to stay on the "predictive" maintenance side of the battery.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Does not sound like time for replacement
Instead get a Honda Volt meter
Replace with OEM when time

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
My OEM battery has been in service since Nov of 2002 and still is going strong.
Yuasa makes quality battery's that are made in the USA....can't see buying the new tech Chinese made battery that cost 3 times the money when Yuasa makes battery's in the USA that do the job and can last like in my case 9 years.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:agree: The battery in my 06 is original. I keep it on a Battery Tender in the winter and will run it until it gets sick. I carry a lightweight bike jumper cable (that I made with small alligator clips and automotive hookup wire) for that eventuality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts