GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently suffered battery failure on my 2018 DCT, as recounted in the "A battery tale of woe" thread. The small town's Harley-oriented shop had a Yuasa battery that looked identical to the Wing's bad one, which I think was original, so I eagerly bought and installed it and finished my ride.

But that thread led me to examine the on-the-road replacement more carefully. It's a YTX20HL-BS, same physical dimension and color (white) as the bad one it replaced, for which I don't have a number. (The BS just means the battery's acid is "bottle supplied," added by the dealer at time of sale as a way to preserve shelf life. It's still maintenance-free.)

The Yuasa Application Guide shows the GYZ20L as standard in the 2018 Wing, but it's black and (what I think was) my stock battery was white, probably the YTX20L. In any case I now have the HL.

Does anyone see any potential problem with my continuing with this battery? Yuasa lists its application as "Gold Wing '02-'11 VTX1800C, F,N,R Retro,S". Compared to the GYZ20L, it's the same physical size, but there are a couple of electrical differences:

GYZ20L/YTX20HL: Capacity Amp-hrs (10 hrs) 20/18, Regular charge current amps 2.0/1.8, Cold-crank (0F) amps 250/310.

My non-expert thinking is that the much-larger CCA is good (that's what the H means), but that the slightly lower capacity and charging current aren't. But I think we're OK. (Finally, will I be OK using a Sears 2-amp battery charger? I don't imagine that 1.8 is an upper limit.)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Your bike should have come with a GYZ20L.
(it's what Honda uses, and it's the one listed in the manuals)
If it came with a YTX20L in it -- your dealer changed it, and Honda wouldn't likely be happy to know that)

YTZ20L is the battery Honda used on GL1800's prior to the GYZ20L.

As you've noted the -BS just means bottle supplied.
There is not a -BS version of the GYZ20L.

I do know there are some on here that use/prefer the HL battery.
Better cranking at 0F isn't a consideration for me, so given a choice when buying I'd get another GYZ20L.

If I was in your spot and had an HL installed it would live out the rest of its' life in the bike.

If your 2A charger is a straight trickle charger, do yourself a favour and get a battery maintainer if you intend to use it for connection when stored. If it's a maintainer/smart charger you're already covered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your bike should have come with a GYZ20L.
(it's what Honda uses, and it's the one listed in the manuals)
If it came with a YTX20L in it -- your dealer changed it, and Honda wouldn't likely be happy to know that)

YTZ20L is the battery Honda used on GL1800's prior to the GYZ20L.

As you've noted the -BS just means bottle supplied.
There is not a -BS version of the GYZ20L.

I do know there are some on here that use/prefer the HL battery.
Better cranking at 0F isn't a consideration for me, so given a choice when buying I'd get another GYZ20L.

If I was in your spot and had an HL installed it would live out the rest of its' life in the bike.

If your 2A charger is a straight trickle charger, do yourself a favour and get a battery maintainer if you intend to use it for connection when stored. If it's a maintainer/smart charger you're already covered.

Thanks, Farmguy. I left the bad one with that Michigan shop and will see if they have a record of its part number. Sorry to say, my local dealer's service department is a bit iffy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they installed a YTX20L. The one I took out, on the road in Michigan, was definitely white.

The little Sears DieHard is something I bought years ago. Says "Fully automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer, Float-mode monitoring for 6 and 12 volt batteries."

Appreciate the advice... I do plan to keep using the YTX20HL.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I recently suffered battery failure on my 2018 DCT, as recounted in the "A battery tale of woe" thread. The small town's Harley-oriented shop had a Yuasa battery that looked identical to the Wing's bad one, which I think was original, so I eagerly bought and installed it and finished my ride.

But that thread led me to examine the on-the-road replacement more carefully. It's a YTX20HL-BS, same physical dimension and color (white) as the bad one it replaced, for which I don't have a number. (The BS just means the battery's acid is "bottle supplied," added by the dealer at time of sale as a way to preserve shelf life. It's still maintenance-free.)

The Yuasa Application Guide shows the GYZ20L as standard in the 2018 Wing, but it's black and (what I think was) my stock battery was white, probably the YTX20L. In any case I now have the HL.

Does anyone see any potential problem with my continuing with this battery? Yuasa lists its application as "Gold Wing '02-'11 VTX1800C, F,N,R Retro,S". Compared to the GYZ20L, it's the same physical size, but there are a couple of electrical differences:

GYZ20L/YTX20HL: Capacity Amp-hrs (10 hrs) 20/18, Regular charge current amps 2.0/1.8, Cold-crank (0F) amps 250/310.

My non-expert thinking is that the much-larger CCA is good (that's what the H means), but that the slightly lower capacity and charging current aren't. But I think we're OK. (Finally, will I be OK using a Sears 2-amp battery charger? I don't imagine that 1.8 is an upper limit.)

Nothing wrong with the YTX battery, it has a better track record than the crappy GYZ that Honda has been using in the newer wings, 2018-9.
I have one waiting on the shelf in case mine takes a crap. Cross fingers.>:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For the record, my 2018 Wing WAS supplied with the correct original, the black GYZ20L battery; I just found a photo that clearly shows it.
Now I'm wondering if I was right to remember the bad one this July in Michigan had a white case. Obviously the new YTX did/does, and I was pretty anxious and nervous under the circumstances. I'll call that little shop later this morning to see if they have a record of the battery I left with them.

Edit: Nope, they don't keep records of this. Guess I'll have to assume I was wrong, and that the bad July-2019 battery was the GYZ original.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
The YTX will work fine. The GYZ is a slightly larger capacity battery, since it is a true 20 amp/hour battery, where the YTX is an 18 amp/hour battery. But the 18 amp/hour battery will work just fine on these bikes, it will just bleed down a little faster if you leave the ignition on without the bike running.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Agree to no worry about it, ride on!

prs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts