GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my bike Thursday morning and it would not turn over at all. I knew immediately it was my battery. I was going to replace it before I left for Rockies Gold next month anyway. It is the original battery in a 2015 model, so it was time. I figure I got my monies worth. I went right back in the house and ordered a new one from Amazon. It came the same day but too late to install it so I put it in Friday morning. When I was removing the old battery. I noticed a crack in the battery case about an inch long about 3/4 the way down from the top running top to bottom. Nothing is leaking out of it but it looks pretty deep. I was going to post a pic but you can't see it ( the crack)
very well so I didn't try.
Wood Material property Gas Box Packaging and labeling

·
Vendor
20,224 Posts
Went to start my bike Thursday morning and it would not turn over at all. I knew immediately it was my battery. I was going to replace it before I left for Rockies Gold next month anyway. It is the original battery in a 2015 model, so it was time. I figure I got my monies worth. I went right back in the house and ordered a new one from Amazon. It came the same day but too late to install it so I put it in Friday morning. When I was removing the old battery. I noticed a crack in the battery case about an inch long about 3/4 the way down from the top running top to bottom. Nothing is leaking out of it but it looks pretty deep. I was going to post a pic but you can't see it ( the crack)
View attachment 405845
I've never seen a crack ... so please post a picture.

Those Yuasa's have done a great job in GoldWings ... the GYZ's not as well.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I do not know which battery I have, but replaced it maybe 3 years ago, probably whatever y'all recommended here. Problem is, about a week ago, I accidentally left the key in ACC position for 3-4 days. Needless to say, the battery was flat, but it came back up on a trickle charger in a couple of days. For now, it is good as ever, but not sure how many times that can happen before the battery gives up the ghost.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I do not know which battery I have, but replaced it maybe 3 years ago, probably whatever y'all recommended here. Problem is, about a week ago, I accidentally left the key in ACC position for 3-4 days. Needless to say, the battery was flat, but it came back up on a trickle charger in a couple of days. For now, it is good as ever, but not sure how many times that can happen before the battery gives up the ghost.
If I recall correctly, on a new automotive size Lead/Acid Battery, it can be run down below 50% State of Charge (SOC) only about three times. Each time it is run below 50% SOC it changes the way the alloys (Antimony & Calcium) interact with the Lead. The older the battery is the more problematic this becomes. Even with batteries that are designed to be deep cycle (Marine, Golf Cart, etc) you don’t want to go below a 59% SOC.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
motorcycle cowboy
2013 GL1800
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
View attachment 405845
I bought the same battery for my V Star 1300 a couple of weeks ago. It was 8 years old and starting to fail.
The new battery was $150 plus tax from a local dealer.

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
I keep a battery MAINTAIN'rrr on mine , 100% of the time when not rid'nn it.......Instructions claim, that I can keep this charger on it 100% of time without over charge'nnn.............So far so good! She starts right up immeadially

Ronnie
8/6/22

·
Registered
808 Posts
Living in Alaska I have seen batterys that split over winter after going dead and freezing. None were mine, heated garage.

Reactions: Walrus
1 - 10 of 10 Posts