GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my battery is 8 months old, i cant leave the bike sit for more than a couple days and its dead, when i jump the bike, theres lots of spark, normal or short?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not sure what you mean,

But a brand new battery can be bad.

Either the battery is bad or you have a direct short to ground draining it .

A normal bike can sit for a couple months and fire right up.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Do you have any devices that you installed that may be left on? If your battery is fully charged it should not produce a large spark when you put jumper cables to it. First put a DC volt meter across your battery terminals when the motorcycle is running. The voltage should read 13.5 volts or higher. This is an indicator that your alternator is charging the battery correctly. If you own an in line DC amp meter put it in series with your battery and measure the amp draw when the motorcycle is off. The current should be in the milliamp range or less. If it is drawing a higher amount of current you have to check to find out what is causing the excess current draw. If the amp draw is low when the motorcycle is off remove your battery and bring your battery to an auto supply house and have them load test your battery.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Any time there is current flow, you're going to see a spark. The larger and brighter the spark, the more current is flowing. If the battery was dead or very discharged, it's normal to see a spark.

Why it was low or discharged is another question. Both of my 1800's can sit for several weeks and start reliably.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
If the sparks are at the battery cable, then tighten them suckers with a 10mm socket. That's your huckleberry.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Best watch those sparks, not good around a battery, it might blow up.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Review the proper procedure for jumping a vehicle, especially the proper sequence for connecting and disconnecting the jumper cables.

I believe the last connection is ground on the vehicle giving the jump and is the first disconnected, so that if there are sparks they are away from the battery getting the charge.

Pair of safety goggles is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Very true on the cables. Had a car battery blow on me. (young and stupid - frozen) :eek:4:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts