GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a battery charger/tender on my bike battery (out of the bike) and now have a similar battery from my lawn tractor to maintain over the winter. My idea was to hook up BOTH batteries in series and clip on the tender.

Does this make any sense, and will it work?... Do I hook them together from + to + and - to -...?

Anyone else do this?... Is this the right way to do it..??

Thanx for the advice....

Mountainman :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have two tenders I bought at wally world for $17 each! They work the same as the expensive Battery tenders of twice the price :!: :D I don't think you can hook them up in the manner that you descibed. They make one that charges more than one battery . Look at www.cyclegadgets.com

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would not hook them in series i.e., + to -. In that configuration the voltages of the battery are added together, i.e., 24 volts. You would be asking a 12 volt charger to maintain 24 volts...not gonna work.

Wire them in parallel, i.e., + to + and - to -. That way the voltage remains 12 volts. You now have a 12 volt battery with the capacity of both batteries. Example...if you had two 12 volt batteries with a capacity of 20 amp. hrs each. By wiring them in parallel you would have a 12 volt battery pack with 40 amp hr capacity.

G

·
Not a good idea. A battery maintainer senses the voltage of a battery and electronically adjusts its charge rate.

If it is connected to two batteries (in parallel) it will not know which battery needs charging. Further, the charging capacity of a battery maintainer may not be adequate to keep two batteries up to snuff.

KISS principle applies here. Why chance it? Get another charger.

Schumacher Battery Companion. $17.44 at Wally World.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IBTrike.....What happens when I hook it up to my car batt that has cells twice as big as a motorcycle batt ?

Its fine to hook them parallel

·
Registered
76 Posts
piggy Why take a chance of one of the batteries being bad a ruining the other one? Wally world $17.44 :!:

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
battery tender/charger on 2 batteries..??

I currently am using a "battery tender" to charge & maintain three watercraft batteries in parallel.
Before anyone comments negatively about how one battery may become overcharged undercharged etc.
This is now the third season with theses batteries being charged together in parallel.
That these batteries are continuously pounded during their service. That there is not any indication that they will not work for the fourth season of watercraft fun.
So I would say go for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Been there, done that, don't work. I ended up with three tenders to keep all the batteries happy during the winter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes it does work. When hooking batteries in parallel the voltage will equlize, the charger will sense the voltage off both batteries as they are the same if hooked together for a while (Parallel), the batteries will equalize, when the charger kicks on the charging current willl be divided between both batteries. If one of the batteries were to have a bad cell it would also discharge the good battery to the same level as the bad battery. Hope this makes sense to you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I called the manufacturer of Battery Tender I think it was Deltrin,a few years ago and was told to hook multiple batteries in parallel and it worked great for me.(I had four bikes at the time).But don't take my word for it,Give them a call and get the real scoop......Jim

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
I've never had to use a battery tender during the winter, if I'm not going to use the bike for a while, I make sure it is fully charged, take it off, and bring it into my house where it stays warm and charged. If your battery won't sit inside off of a tender or charger for a couple months, then it is probably going to give you trouble anyway. I've done this with mower and auto batteries for years. A lead acid battery, gel or not, should hold a charge for a few months, if not, then it's internal resistance has dropped indicating a weak cell. If you leave it on the bike, then the remote trunk circuit, clock, and radio preset circuits will run it down eventually. :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for all the great advice guys... I really appreciate it.

Up here in the Great White North, I'm putting the Bike and the lawn tractor to bed for a minimum of 5 months... No riding from Nov to April.

That's why I need a tender on the battery...

I'm gonna hook up the 2 of them in parallel as a bunch of you have suggested.. Thanx again....

Mountainman.... :p

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Mountainman,
If you are going to leave the batteries on the "charger/tender" (your words from your initial post)
be sure it's not just a charger or even a "trickle charger". You want a maintainer
that will "float charge" the batteries to a certain level and not continually
keep pumping charge current into them after they are at peak charge.
If you are not using a "float charger" or charge "maintainer"
you will want to either put a timer on the circuit or only charge them
every so often or the constant charging will cook the moisture out of the cells
and damage the batteries. This is true for small batteries like mower
and cycle batteries even if you were using a "trickle charger" providing
less than an amp of charge current.

Believe it or not, Harbor Freight (yeah their stuff is cheap) has a "float Charger"
for about 12 bucks that goes on sale for 6 or 7 every now and then.
You can order them off their web site or get them at their retail stores.
It looks like a black wall wart but has battery clips and a LED indicator light so you know it's connected.
Nothing fancy but I've used at least 6 of them for several years and have only had one go bad.
They have kept several batteries on show vehicles in good shape while
they have been sitting in the vehicles for 3 or 4 months at a time without problems.
They have kept two mower batteries up through the winters and two motorcycle batteries in good shape as well.
They keep the emergency batteries for Ham radio topped off without boiling the moisture out of them.
Sales pitch over....
Good luck with your project. :)
DC

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Just bought a Black and Decker 2 amp float mode battery maintainer at Walmart for $17.44. It has connectors that you leave on the battery, and a plug to connect the tender when needed.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I just sent my Battery Tender Plus in to Deltran for repair, I suspect it never did work but that is a long story. Short version, I've only used it on two batteries in the 2.5 years I've had it and it didn't charge either one. First one I thought the battery had gone bad, second one was just a couple weeks ago so I put a volt meter on it and it wasn't putting out anything.

So anyway the point is that they want $9.95 handling and it cost me $7 something to ship it so I could have just gone to Wally World, (which I really try not to do), or Harbor Freight, (got one pretty close to me), and not messed with Deltran. Think I may run into Harbor Freight and pick up a couple of their float chargers.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
weengers said:
I just sent my Battery Tender Plus in to Deltran for repair, I suspect it never did work but that is a long story. Short version, I've only used it on two batteries in the 2.5 years I've had it and it didn't charge either one. First one I thought the battery had gone bad, second one was just a couple weeks ago so I put a volt meter on it and it wasn't putting out anything.

So anyway the point is that they want $9.95 handling and it cost me $7 something to ship it so I could have just gone to Wally World, (which I really try not to do), or Harbor Freight, (got one pretty close to me), and not messed with Deltran. Think I may run into Harbor Freight and pick up a couple of their float chargers.
Go get em Weengers, I was just at the Harbor today and they are on sale for 4.95 (so of course I picked up another spare. Somebody always needs one at a bad time).
DC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts