GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a battery tender, When I hook up my battery tender it started on red meaning it's charging. , Then The Red & Green lights alternate & flash off/on,
Is it defective? o_O I have it hooked up correctly

·
Registered
816 Posts
This is from the Battery Tender manual:
STATUS INDICATING LIGHT: If the light is not lit, then the battery is not properly connected and/or the charger is not plugged into AC power. The following describes light operation:
- RED LIGHT FLASHING – The red light flashing indicates that the battery charger has AC power available and that the microprocessor is functioning properly. If the red light continues to flash, then either the battery voltage is too low (less than 3 volts) or the output alligator clips or ring terminals are not connected correctly.
- RED LIGHT ON STEADY – Whenever the red light is on steady, a battery is connected properly and the charger is charging the battery. The red light will remain on until the charger completes the charging stage.
- GREEN LIGHT FLASHING –When the green light is flashing, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used if necessary. Whenever possible, leave the battery on charge until the green light is solid.
- GREEN LIGHT ON STEADY –When the green light burns steady, the charge is complete and the battery can be returned to service if necessary. It can also stay connected to maintain the battery for an indefinite period of time.

And here is the manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
If it were me, I'd check the battery voltage with a quality digital voltmeter.

Then, connect the Battery Tender to the battery and plug in the battery tender to a 120VAC socket and test the voltage at the battery again.

If there is a large disparity between what you are reading and what you think it should be reading, email the folks at Deltran and give them your findings. I've contacted them before and they got back to me in 48 hours.
Or, you can call them and see if they have an answer for you over the phone.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Bought a battery tender, When I hook up my battery tender it started on red meaning it's charging. , Then The Red & Green lights alternate & flash off/on,
Is it defective? o_O I have it hooked up correctly

What would be helpful, is to know what kind of battery tender you have. Others are assuming you have the Deltran tender, or a variation of it. Which is why the owners manual doesn't specify exactly what alternating Red/Green flashing means.

Please let us know exactly what you have, and we can be of better help.

Hope this helps.....
Doc

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
This is from the Battery Tender manual:
STATUS INDICATING LIGHT: If the light is not lit, then the battery is not properly connected and/or the charger is not plugged into AC power. The following describes light operation:
- RED LIGHT FLASHING – The red light flashing indicates that the battery charger has AC power available and that the microprocessor is functioning properly. If the red light continues to flash, then either the battery voltage is too low (less than 3 volts) or the output alligator clips or ring terminals are not connected correctly.
- RED LIGHT ON STEADY – Whenever the red light is on steady, a battery is connected properly and the charger is charging the battery. The red light will remain on until the charger completes the charging stage.
  • GREEN LIGHT FLASHING –When the green light is flashing, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used if necessary. Whenever possible, leave the battery on charge until the green light is solid.
  • GREEN LIGHT ON STEADY –When the green light burns steady, the charge is complete and the battery can be returned to service if necessary. It can also stay connected to maintain the battery for an indefinite period of time.
And here is the manual:
Thank you, cause you just answered a question that I had..(also)...It can also stay connected to maintain the battery for an indefinite period of time.. (I wondered about that/I didn't want to OVER charge my battery) so I have been disconnecting charger from power sorce... (y)

Ronnie

Reactions: jtdunc

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Agreed - need to know what brand and model of device you have, as even within manufacturers it's different.

For instance, if it's a Deltran Battery Tender Plus, the alternating lights mean you have a poor connection or the battery is bad. If it's a Deltran Battery Tender Jr., according to Internet lore it could mean reversed polarity, a bad connection, or the capacitor in the unit is bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yep, need more info on the unit model/brand in question.
If you use the bike even as seldom as once a month and have no parasitic draw (other than the clock) there is no need to leave a "tender" on the battery. If the battery won't hold normal charge for that length of time, its on its way to failure already and/or you have a charging system issue. Using a tender, or "having to use a tender" on anything used regularity is covering for something that needs replacement/repair.
My Wing, as well as several snowmobiles/lawn and construction equipment/camper/boats/extra vehicles/etc and many extra batteries sit over six months between uses. Random charging every few months or so is sufficient and keeps them ready to go. I can rotate a couple "smart" chargers and tenders thru the fleet and not worry about remembering to disconnect them, but a day each on the tender is all they should need. Always leaving a tender hooked up to a battery has not shown me to extend its life despite what the claims are.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's a deltran battery tender plus
Did you do any voltage measurements? It should help you to figure out what is happening if do some troubleshooting.
Besides, we are nosy and are curious how it's going.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Deltrans made three different Battery Tender Plus models. I looked at the manuals for each one and the only one that had a sequence of alternate red & green flashing matches the owner's manual pictured above in Post #9.

·
Registered
776 Posts
For no other reason other than curiosity and thread hijacking I post this. I never wondered about the name Deltrans until I rode by this building in the Deland Airport Industrial Park in Deland FL. No manufacturing is done here anymore but R & D and USA offices are located here at the original site of Deland Transformer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just keep it plugged in when not riding!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just in case you missed it, see post #9.

Or, to summarize, you either had it plugged in for over 72 hours and the battery failed to fully charge. OR, if less than 72 hours on the charger, the battery is defective.

Most auto stores will test a battery for free. Have the battery tested by them, and you'll know for sure.

The other recommendation was that perhaps you didn't have a good connection between the tender and the battery, causing bad charging. Double check your connections, make sure they are clean and tight, and try again.

Unfortunately, I'm "assuming" the battery is bad....

Hope this helps, along with all the above responses. And yes, please keep us updated.

Doc

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Is the battery completely dead? If not, will it start the bike?

If the battery is completely dead, the tender may not be able to sense polarity and may go into a fault mode. In this case, the battery might need to be replaced or it's possible it could be recharged. I typically hook jumper cables to the battery using a known good battery. I then hook up the battery tender. The good battery gives enough voltage to allow the tender to work and sometimes can allow uou to resurrect a dead battery.

Back to the original question, if the battery is good and will start the bike, then you know it's not the battery. If so, you may have a bad tender or you may have a problem with a connection.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts