GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of using the power socket on the right side to connect my battery tender. Also thinking of using this to also connect the heated vest.
Pros or cons please? Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
This is a question - not the answer. Is the power connection on the right side (assume you mean behind the right fairing pocket) part of the auxillary circuit? If so, doesn't the key have to be turned to "on" or "acc" for the outlet to be hot? Would this be undesirable for use as a battery tender connection?

G

·
0 Posts
This is a question - not the answer. Is the power connection on the right side (assume you mean behind the right fairing pocket) part of the auxillary circuit? If so, doesn't the key have to be turned to "on" or "acc" for the outlet to be hot? Would this be undesirable for use as a battery tender connection?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right side power socket

Forgot to mention that I also intended to wire it hot at all times

Thanks for pointing that out

·
Registered
810 Posts
Idea for your Batter Tender

I'm not sure why you want to use that power connector, but let me throw out another idea.

I wired right to the battery, as they suggested. I like this idea as well because I want to make sure I don't overheat any of the thin Honda wiringing.

I then pulled the seat, soldered an extension into my connection cable, and brought it up from underneath and into the right side passenger storage compartment.

I love this method because the cable is out where I can get to it, for charging or battery access, and yet when not needed it's tucked up neatly into that compartment.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just plug into my wifes connection for the Gerbings Jacket. It's wired hot all the time and I did not need an extra connection.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm real lazy and did it the easiest way possible ... wired directly to the battery (to protect the wiring as other have stated) .... and the pigtail is tucked under the battery cover where I can just reach it thru the hole in the cover. I pull it out, plug it in ... and away we go. When I go to ride, I just unplug and tuck the pigtail back into the hole/opening
Like I said, lazy ... and simplistic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went another route. I wired it directly to the battery then ran it into the left saddlebag by way of the mounting hole with the rubber plug on the back wall of the bag. I then attach the plug to the back wall of the bag with velcro when not in use.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Battery Charger

I, too just used the stock harness and hooked it up to the battery. When I park it, I just lift up on the bottom of the side panel and let the harness fall out from underneath and hook 'er up. Takes maybe 15 seconds.

Kenny
Silver '02
(With the new welds)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well I wired direct to the batt and ran the pigtail up the the left habd passenger grip and used a black tie to attach it to the handle. One has to be looking hard to see it.

G

·
0 Posts
As you can see, there are many options! I installed a BMW outlet right under, and slightly to the right of, the headlight adjustment control on the left fairing. That's where my heated clothing plugs into. The wires for my heated vest exit the vest on the left, so that's where I put the outlet. I can also use this as an extra DC outlet, to power an air compressor, or whatever. (The permanent heat controller is installed on the right fairing, with the dial and LED on the panel where the heated grip control would be.)

I will install a separate battery tender plug, wired to EC's electrical power plate [similar to direct wire to battery] which will be accessed near the battery, as others have mentioned. With the EC connection for the battery tender, the juice only flows when the ignition is off, to protect the bike's wiring.

BTW, using EC's electrical power plate and ground block allow you to add accessories, without constantly adding wires to the battery or accessory terminals. I find this tidy. Here's a link. Not related. No interest in EC. Just like the product.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power distribution/power_distribution.htm

·
Registered
74 Posts
Battery Tender

Ornage Crush,
I'm lazier. Mine's hooked to the battery too but I zip-tied the pig tail to the left rear crash bar. I don't even need to fish it out from behind the cover.

:D

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
LOL, Uncle Harry ..... I just didn't want mine out there where I might damage it (or where it could be seen, either) 8)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I mounted mine like orangecrush did and use the pig tail to hook my Gerbing linner to when I ride. Works great and is very easy to get at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts