GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting this to give people a heads up. Replaced the battery in my 2012 Level 2 back in August and really haven't needed to plug in the battery tender until recently. First time I plugged it in the amber light flashed so I left it alone and went in the house thinking it would turn green as usual. An hour later, still flashing so I now knew something was up. Bike started OK so I left it for the next day to investigate. Plugged the tender into the other bike and all was well so I next plugged my heated gear in thinking that maybe the leads weren't hooked up. (local shop did the battery r&r) Heated gear worked OK so off came the side cover, all looked well. Pulled the fuse, looked OK, checked with a multimeter to be sure, it was fine. Pulled the battery tender lead off and OHM'd it out. Negative side was fine, positive side showed open. Near as I can tell visually is that the receptacle in the SAE plug broke and the contacts may have been pushed into the housing, too far to make contact with the plug. I had a brand new spare lead so I hooked that up and all is well. Never saw this before and I'd estimate this had been plugged and unplugged several hundred times so I just wanted to share in case anyone else has well worn battery tender equipment. Cheers!

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I see many 5th gens with tender leads intended for a car. The different between a car lead and a m/c is the size of the whole for the batteries connector bolt. If the battery's bolt hole is loose, it is the wrong size.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The small SAE connectors aren't meant for much current. My guess would be that your heated gear draws enough current that it stressed the connector and caused the problem. They make some higher current versions of those connectors but they can be harder to find. The cheap ones usually have small gage wire on them, look for ones with larger gage wire.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The small SAE connectors aren't meant for much current. My guess would be that your heated gear draws enough current that it stressed the connector and caused the problem. They make some higher current versions of those connectors but they can be harder to find. The cheap ones usually have small gage wire on them, look for ones with larger gage wire.
Thanks Fred! I use separate harnesses for both, I'm guessing that with the number of times I have plugged/unplugged the Tender over the years it simply wore out.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Always take care to plug and unplug by grasping the connector and NOT the wires. I use the connections supplied by Deltran on cycles, trucks, and equipment.

prs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts