GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the Battery Tender Plus. When I put it on my 1800, 06 for the first time the red light (charge) was on for about 10 minutes and then the green blinking light was on for about 5 hours before the light was solid green. Next morning I took the bike out for about 20 minutes. Hooked up the Battery Tender , after the ride, and went through the same proceedure. My question is, Is this typical? It seems as though the light should be solid green earlier if the battery had just been fully charged.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Normal,

The tender does a test each time you hook it up. Read the back panel on the charger and this will explain it a bit to you, what the lights mean.

Bulldog

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dog. I will take a look at the literture. Probably should have done that first. I have an Weston Accumate that I use on another bike and that immediately turns green, most of the time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Battery tender

Just different strokes for different brands. Battery tender is a good reliable piece of equipment in my opinion. Just plug it in and forget it. Tom

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've been using a "battery tender" for years with no problems...spring comes, detach the battery from the tender and install in the bike, and it starts right up...ride safe...

Scott

J

·
0 Posts
Cabernet Red 06 wrote:

I've been using a "battery tender" for years with no problems...spring comes, detach the battery from the tender and install in the bike, and it starts right up...ride safe...
Why do you remove the battery from the bike? I am not being cute just really curious.

John

I

·
0 Posts
No need to remove the battery from the bike, unless you don't have power to where the bike is stored.

These battery tenders come with a polarized cable and plug that you can hook to your battery permanently, and access it without removing any panels. All you need is power to plug in the battery tender and you are good to go with a good battery charge for weeks/months.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
855 Posts
jniles said:
Cabernet Red 06 wrote:

Why do you remove the battery from the bike? I am not being cute just really curious.

John
John:

...I'm going to presume I know the answer to your question about
Scott removing the battery from the bike; he lives in Barrie,
Ontario - cold; I'm about 2 plus hours south - still cold; while
Scott has an attached garage - I don't; my garage is de-tached;
...many people, as myself, simply feel more comfortable removing
the battery from the bike/boat/rv etc and keeping it in the
basement for storage/maintanence - that's all
...as for myself, without having an electrical hook-up in the
garage, I'd have to run an extension cord to the garage
throughout the winter, which I just don't want to do so I remove
my batteries and keep them in the basement for maintenance

..attache garage or detached garage, it simply preference - there's
one older honda 750 owner who lives a few blocks from me who
leaves his bike outside yearround; rain; snow; sleet; hail, sunshine
..doesn't matter - no cover - its just there, year round

...Ken

·
Registered
911 Posts
as Ken said.....COLD....where I live, we sometimes get -20 to -30 degree celcius days thru the winter, and even though the bike is in my attached, insulated, non heated garage, I feel better knowing the battery is in the house where it's warm and it won't freeze....ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your battery freezing. :D As long as it's charged fully.

Specific Gravity of Electrolyte
Freezing Point (degrees F)

........1.265- 1.280 FULL CHARGE
........-75 F...-60C

.......-35 F...-37C

....... -17 F...-27C

.......+5 F....-15C

......+18 F....-7.7C

......+27 F....-2.7

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I have tunnel vision and really cold weather never entered my mind. We may see below zero F every couple of years or then maybe not. I know your Canadian winters and I understand just was not thinking. We can usually ride every month here in north central OK, as at least a few days will almost always be at least freezing to well above. I'm still thinking about a Battery Tender simply because I run mine down playing with the electronics in the garage.

I

·
0 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
I wouldn't worry about your battery freezing. :D As long as it's charged fully.

Specific Gravity of Electrolyte
Freezing Point (degrees F)

........1.265- 1.280 FULL CHARGE
........-75 F...-60C

.......-35 F...-37C

....... -17 F...-27C

.......+5 F....-15C

......+18 F....-7.7C

......+27 F....-2.7
Right on my man! :lol:

And the BatteryTender (or equivalent) will keep it charged no matter how cold it gets.

Ride safe.

Rde

G

·
0 Posts
In the trunk a person has the option of putting in a lighted mirror. I have no use for a lighted mirror so I placed a cigarette lighter socket in the place of the lighted mirror. Then I just plug my battery tender into it over the winter and make sure the green light on the tender is visable in the garage. Every morning that green light catches my eye when backing out for my trip to work. Simple.... Easy..... and it Works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts