GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the coast of Connecticut where the winters are usually mild. My 02 is garaged and I usually put only a few hundred miles on it Nov-March. This year is exceptional I was crusing yesterday. Should I just charge the battery with my Minn Kota charger as needed or spring for a new battery tender from Hal?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i've used em for years

I've used the battery tender for years, about 59.00 retail.
Walmart sells the same thing for 17 bucks and change, bought 2 recently works great. Look near the car batterys.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Which Walmart brand is like the BatteryTender? I need to get one for my nieghbors car. She has an old Jaguar that sits alot since her husband died of cancer recently. Does it have the permament plug?

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may want to check out Harbor Freight. They have a float charger #42292-1VGA on sale for $7.49. I have two of these and they have never failed me. Rember it is not a regular charger. It is made to keep a full charge once the battery is charged. It has an auto shut off. If they are not on sale just wait a little while. I caught mine on sale $5.99 once.

I took a harness for the Battery Tender and put on my battery placing the the connector in the cut out on the battery cover. I then went to the auto parts store and bought a cable with the same style connectors on both ends. I cut the cable in half and soldered it as replacement for the battery clips. I took the other half of the cable and converted the other charger but left the clips on it also so it is a dual hook up.

It is nice and easy to just plug it in and leave it. No covers to take off.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Black & Decker "Smart Battery Charger" Model VEC080BD. It has an automatic float mode battery maintainer. They are located by the batteries in the automotive section at wal mart. Only $17 and change.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice feature on the Black & Decker is it has a 2 amp setting to use as a charger or 1 amp for float charge....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
tascottaf said:
I have the Black & Decker "Smart Battery Charger" Model VEC080BD. It has an automatic float mode battery maintainer. They are located by the batteries in the automotive section at wal mart. Only $17 and change.
Yep... Iwas supposed to get one of those from Santa....but he got the wrong thing!! I'm going to exchange it tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I bought 2 Harbor Freight float chargers @ $4.99 ea. 2 weeks ago for what it cost me to send my Battery Tender Plus in, ($9.95), for replacement. Actually I bought three of the Harbor Freights but for comparison purposes. If the Battery Tender dies again I don't think I will bother with sending it in again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Like Old Grumpy and weengers, I use the Harbor Freight float chargers.
Have used them for years and only had one go bad iternally and quit working.
Have them on seven batteries now.
They were on sale for 5 bucks last week.
DC

·
Registered
660 Posts
Toyo said:
Which Walmart brand is like the BatteryTender? I need to get one for my nieghbors car. She has an old Jaguar that sits alot since her husband died of cancer recently. Does it have the permament plug?
Wal-Mart carries a battery tender-like device made by Schumacher. I've used it for years for my 1100 Aero. Works great!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
All of the Black and Decker, Husky, etc charges are made from Vector. I bought one for work and I have had to return them 3 times. This is just my experience. I belive Shumacher is a better brand than the others. My Battery Tender works like a charm. Its the old addage. You get what you pay for. If they can sale a battery charger for $5.00 think about what cheap qaulity parts they must use to get that cost down? Not trying to start a flame, just my thinking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the Walmart charger also. Works well for me. It is a battery companion 1.5 amp slow charge with float mode monitor made by Schumacher. Comes with the adapter that hooks to the battery terminals and standard clamps, cant remember the cost but worth the price.
John

·
Registered
855 Posts
Interstate Battery Maintainer

...I wanted to purchase the Yuasa charger but with shipping/duties
to Ontario, Canada it just made the end price unacceptable

...came across a battery maintainer a couple months back
sold through Interstate Batteries and under the brand
name Interstate Battery; bought two of them
for $55 each in Ontario - 1 for the bike and 1 for the fishing boat

...it is a 1.5 amp with 5 settings the same as the Yuasa brand
however, it also has a toggle switch for both a 12v and 6v setting

...it is also made by Yuasa for Interstate Battery and sells for
$49.99 US; the web site is

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/esto ... Group&js=1

...and the reference is CHG0012 - 12V 1.5AMP BATTERY CHARGER - Battery Charger

---regards....Ken

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think at some point, you have to remember what you're attempting to do...keep a battery charge up. I don't doubt that the Battery Tender is the best there is and I'm just throwing in my $.02...I don't mean to flame anyone either...I mean it's just a battery charger. Not like it's a crush washer or something...

I have a 6/12v 2 amp charger that I bought at Wal-Mart 10 years ago for less than $10 that has done duty on the 6v Triumph, the Harley (original battery) and the Wing (also original). Maybe I'm just living right...

I just have to ask myself if I want to pay $50 to save a $70 battery that I SHOULD :oops: replace every 5 years anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts