GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have let the bike sit too long due to the fact its been like wicked cold in colorado for seeminly forever. I want to get a battery tender to avioid this problem and have 2 questions. One is what is the best model? Two what is the best way to mount it etc.

Thanks as Always

Coop

·
Registered
911 Posts
battery tender

Hi...I have 2 batteries to take care of in the winter...and both batteries are taken out of the bikes for the winter (not everyone removes their batteries)...I have a battery tender plus and a battery tender junior...I believe they both do the same job...no complaints...I simply attach the supplied alligator clips, then plug tender into power...they also come with cables that attach permanently to the battery which is more convenient if you don't remove the battery from your bike...good luck...buy one and you won't regret it...here in Ontario right now, we finally have a bunch of snow, so we won't be riding for a little while...hopefully by the end of March/early APRIL....ride safe.....

Scott

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I have both a Battery Tender Jr. and its replacement from Ridenow.com. Both work the same way and I've had no problems with either. About $18 plus shipping.

Both have cables which attach permantely to the installed battery so you can just plug/unplug when moving or riding the bike.

Both also have indicator lights which show charging/maintenance mode and both have reversed polarity protection.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I got the Shumacher (sp?) from Walmart. Also about 20 bucks or so. It is charger and maintainer also. Hooked up the harness to the battery for the quick connect. It comes with it along with some alligator clips.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I have used the Yuasa version of the tender and it works well. Usually did not need it in the past, but definitely this year. I have pigtails on both the Wing and the FJR and swap between the two bikes.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Attach the pigtail to the battery, and then tuck it between the battery cover's black plastic cover. the back part flap. Just dont start the bike when connected LOL.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've got the Wal-mart Charger/maintainer also. Use them on the boat, tractor, and both mine and the wife's motorcycle. Have never had a problem with any of them.
At $17.99 they are a bargain. Battery tender brand is 3 times that much.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the Battery Tender and ran the Quick Connect up and placed it in the right rear pocket. it's out of the way out of sight and easy to get to 8)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK that all being said

I was wondering given the short leads that are available to route the cable do any of you people have a good pic or description of how to best route this so I can just plug it in when needed?

Thanks

Coop

I

·
0 Posts
Turbine surgeon said:
I've got the Wal-mart Charger/maintainer also. Use them on the boat, tractor, and both mine and the wife's motorcycle. Have never had a problem with any of them.
At $17.99 they are a bargain. Battery tender brand is 3 times that much.....
Bingo. Right on. The Schumacher $17.99 battery maintainer at Walmart is every bit as good as the Battery Tender unit. Comes with all necessary cables and connectors and a good warranty. Schumacher makes nothing but battery chargers, and is quality stuff.

"Battery Tender" brand is good quality also, (maybe even made by Schumacher...who knows) but way overpriced.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have three Battery Tenders in service in the garage. The Battery Tender Plus is on the Goldwing. The Battery Tender Junior is on the ZRX. And the older Battery Tender is on the CRF250X.
It is my belief that motorcycle batteries last longer when they are always on a charger when the motorcycles sit idle.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have a Battery Tender Plus which I have to charge 9 batteries during the winter "too many toys". Just put some quick disconnects on the batteries. I never take the batteries out of any of the items that I have to charge. You can get a Battery Tender Plus for $39 bucks. I have had mine for over 10 years now and it has been dropped countless times without ever breaking. Your money spend it where you want.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Ihave a battery tender plus on both bikes 24/ 7 when they are not ridden,they serve me well,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I will try this again

Does anyone have a good way to attach the leads so that the cord isnt banging all over the bike so I can attach the cable that comes with it permenetly?

Thanks

Coop

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Coop, put a zip tie around something and then don't pull it all the way tight. Then just slide the end of the quick connect into the zip tie and that will hold it until you need to use it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Stu Oltman evaluated these units a few years ago in Wing World. If I remember correctly I think he rated the Yuasa no. 1, the Battery Tender Plus no. 2 and the Schumacher no. 3. There are differences.
The Battery Tender Jr. is not the same as the Battery Tender Plus. The former is a 3 step charger while the latter is a 4 step charger. I couldn't find any more detailed information on Deltran's web site. All I know is that the Battery Tender Plus is a better unit for your battery.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: OK I will try this again

coopula said:
Does anyone have a good way to attach the leads so that the cord isnt banging all over the bike so I can attach the cable that comes with it permenetly?

Thanks

Coop
I route mine through the opening in the left side battery cover. When not in use I tuck it inside the cover. It stays there until I need it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts