GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a battery today, AGM Duracell Ultra Battery, it comes with brass spacers.
I had to put this new battery in because the PO didn't install the spacers, by not putting them in the terminal bolt bottoms out and gets jammed in. The bolt broke of when removing.

The battery I replaced was only 6mo old.

Don't forget those spacers.:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm excellent suggestion.thank you, cause I just changed out my battery two weeks ago ,and I can't remember any spacers added...although my battery was a Yasusa brand not a Duracell

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Have several add on cables that act as spacers. Actually had to get longer bolts to accommodate them.

Reactions: carolinarider10

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually added two extra ground wires, one to the main ground under the tank and the other to the cylinder head. So didn't need the spacer.
The one to head I added because the existing wire one had corrosion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct battery for bike = no spacers required.
You have a valid point,

but with a Rebel Yell and I'll never be any good, :wink2:

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
Installed a battery today, AGM Duracell Ultra Battery, it comes with brass spacers.
I had to put this new battery in because the PO didn't install the spacers, by not putting them in the terminal bolt bottoms out and gets jammed in. The bolt broke of when removing.

The battery I replaced was only 6mo old.

Don't forget those spacers.:wink2:
Good idea. For whatever reason, many use that battery, and there are 2 problems with it. First, for a 5th gen the posts are incorrect. Second, I believe the amp/hr rating is incorrect. For 2001-2009, Honda requires a 18amp/hr battery.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That little red plastic holder with the spacers tells me, as if I didn't already know, that your battery is made in the USA by East Penn Mfg. Same battery as a Deka and several auto parts store private labels as well such as Napa. The spacer may make it incorrect for some, but it doesn't create a problem. I've been using these batteries on my wings for years with no negative effects because of the spacers. The spacers are not a deal breaker. A very good quality, dependable, and long lasting battery.

Reactions: rtbmrgl

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That little red plastic holder with the spacers tells me, as if I didn't already know, that your battery is made in the USA by East Penn Mfg. Same battery as a Deka and several auto parts store private labels as well such as Napa. The spacer may make it incorrect for some, but it doesn't create a problem. I've been using these batteries on my wings for years with no negative effects because of the spacers. The spacers are not a deal breaker. A very good quality, dependable, and long lasting battery.
Thanks for replying, that's interesting, good to know. Sams club sells the same battery with one year warranty, Batteries Plus has two years, which is where I bought it.

Your probably thinking, does this doesn't know what he's talking about, how can you believe a guy that ends a sentence with a preposition, like the sentence before.:wink2:

:capwin:

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Yuasa's are us made as well.

"Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing powersports batteries in the United States to uncompromisingly high standards since 1979.
We are the largest American manufacturer and distributor of batteries for motorcycles, snowmobiles, scooters, all terrain vehicles, side by sides and personal watercraft."

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/about/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

"Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing powersports batteries in the United States to uncompromisingly high standards since 1979.
We are the largest American manufacturer and distributor of batteries for motorcycles, snowmobiles, scooters, all terrain vehicles, side by sides and personal watercraft."

Yep your right, I've used them for years.

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts

In the world of batteries their quality also seams unmatched. But quality often comes with a higher price, and to some price is far more important.

For me, reliability is paramount. Sometime as a solo bike I tour in areas where I might not have cell phone service for days. So I not only use a Yuasa battery, but I replace mine every 2-3 years like Honda recommends.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
In the world of batteries their quality also seams unmatched. But quality often comes with a higher price, and to some price is far more important.

For me, reliability is paramount. Sometime as a solo bike I tour in areas where I might not have cell phone service for days. So I not only use a Yuasa battery, but I replace mine every 2-3 years like Honda recommends.

Greg, I have the same opinion as you on batteries. We spend a lot of money on bikes. There is also a lot that "can" go wrong with them...at the strangest times. Some of the things that can go wrong always seem to happen in the middle of "NOWHERE". LOL! And manufacturers on some parts of the bikes tend to use "less than the finest quality parts" to keep production costs down. When it comes to batteries, this is one of the few places we as riders get to choose what kind of quality goes on our bike. And it doesn't cost that much extra either.

Conclusion: Don't skimp on battery costs. The tow service eats up all you tried to save...and then some.
NOTE: I'm not made of money either. But I have learned the hard way on battery replacement.

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
Conclusion: Don't skimp on battery costs. The tow service eats up all you tried to save...and then some.
NOTE: I'm not made of money either. But I have learned the hard way on battery replacement.
Here is what some don't consider. Many of the threads started here on this forum are corrected by making sure the battery connections are clean and tight. To me that means that 5th gens have problems with their battery connections. Often I see batteries that have posts with poor contact areas. Many of these aftermarket batteries, are intended to fit many bikes, and to fit "many models," the manufacture positions the long side of the rectangular post from side-to-side.

Our Wings are less likely to have battery contact problems if the rectangular battery connections' long-sides sit front-to-rear. The Yuasa battery's long-sides sits front-to-rear. Then there are the types shown in the OP. For best contact with those, the post requires a spacer. The more spacers, and washers, and accessory wires, that stack up on a battery connections, the more likely problems will occur.

There is one more situation that occurs. Some will choose the Yuasa battery that ends in HD. Those correct posts, and they are facing the correct way, but the posts are not positioned correctly in the plastic case to fit our cables. Many are attracted to that battery because it has high cranking power, and many to make that battery work have too somehow mutilate the cable ends. For me, a GoldWing should never be mutilated to make something fit. A person who does that type of workmanship is usually called a "hack." I don't know about others, but I would never want to be called a hack.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good point Greg about the spacers, maybe a slightly shorter bolt so the terminal sits flat against the battery post.

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
Good point Greg about the spacers, maybe a slightly shorter bolt so the terminal sits flat against the battery post.
Unfortunately, that's probably not a good solution for the battery shown in the original post. Most likely the bolt hole in the post sits too low, and if one looks at the contact surface between the cable and the post, once the bolt begins to tighten they'd see that the bottom edge to the cable actually starts to hit the battery case, and the top edge hits the post. Basically the cables' surface sits at an angle ... instead of flat against the post. Therefore, it's another situation where the cable is not making full contact to the post. It is better to use the spacer.

There are aftermarket batteries that fit 2001-2008s 5th gens, they have correct posts, the post face the correct way, it also has the correct Amp/hr, and probably sell for less money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts