GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my recent trip to Mexico, I dropped off my 2018 DCT Airbag to be ceramic coated. 10 days later when I returned to pick it up, the battery was dead.
The detailer hadn't started or played with the bike in any way, other than to polish and apply the ceramic coating.
I jumped the bike to get it started, and rode it home. The check engine light was on.
I trickle charged the battery over-night and it started the next day without issue, however, the check engine light was still on.
I rode it down to my dealer / service centre and booked it in for this Friday.
The mechanic speculated that the detailer kept the FOB too close to the bike for the week which may have caused the battery to slowly die.
When I went to leave the dealer, the check engine light did not return.
The bike's still going in on Friday so they can read the memory and find out which code tripped the check engine light.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Very interesting event.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
I'd bet the detailer was listening to the radio and forgot to turn it off.

I don't buy the fob near the bike excuse.
In riding season, we leave the fobs in the bikes when they are parked at home.

A few times it was for multiple weeks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My FOB been in cell phone pocket 10 Month., never been turned off, I did leave switch on run battery down, check engine light come stayed on until I removed battery cable and put it back on.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

I don't buy the fob near the bike excuse.
In riding season, we leave the fobs in the bikes when they are parked at home.

A few times it was for multiple weeks.

^^^^this!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

^^^^this!
When in ACC mode and listening to the radio my bike turns off after about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For what it is worth, when modules in cars, trucks, motorcycles experience a low voltage condition say usually less than 10 - 11 volts, they will often set false codes that may stay on until cleared. I see it often and only am concerned if they reset after being cleared and not during a low volt situation. Also you may or may not notice shifting that "feels" different than before and may need to do the relearn clutchpak as described in these forums. If it were mine I would just go on and ride after clearing and not worry about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments. Bike's in the shop today to read the memory. I'll post what we find.

Tony

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the bike back from the shop. The error codes that tripped the check engine light were both from the wheel sensors, indicating the wheels were rotating at different speeds. The suspicion is the ignition was accidently turned on while the wheels were being coated (and therefore rotated). This would have caused the error codes as well as the dead battery. All is well now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts