GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm piggybacking on a post I saw on this site. Keep your sarcasm and any other BS to yourself. I'm stooopid, I'm not a wrench, I know nothing. OK, got that out of the way for the 'smart' guys on here.

I've been using a "Deltran Battery Tender" on all my bikes for the past soon to be 30 years. I've never had a problem. 30 years of this. My question....'KISS'.... what is the difference, if there is one, between a battery 'tender' and a battery 'maintainer ?' Never heard of a battery 'maintainer' until reading a post in here ( this site ) today. My 2 week '18 Wing is hooked up to a "Deltran Battery Tender" right now.

Can this be bad in ANY way ?? And why ??

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
You have a maintainer.

Battery Tender is a brand of battery maintainer. (kinda like sea-doo is a brand of jet ski)

'Trickle charger' is the other type of charging device.
They have no 'smarts' and will continue to output to battery even if it is charged.
This will overcharge the battery, resulting in internal damage.

Maintainers such as yours are made to you can hook it up and not worry about overcharge during the storage season.

Our bikes have been hooked to Battery Tenders since November.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a maintainer.

Battery Tender is a brand of battery maintainer. (kinda like sea-doo is a brand of jet ski)

'Trickle charger' is the other type of charging device.
They have no 'smarts' and will continue to output to battery even if it is charged.
This will overcharge the battery, resulting in internal damage.

Maintainers such as yours are made to you can hook it up and not worry about overcharge during the storage season.

Our bikes have been hooked to Battery Tenders since November.
A lesson to all. What a great reply from Farmguy. Thank you !! Nice to know I don't have to worry about my new ride somehow being different ( as far as charging goes ) than every other bike I've ever owned. Like you said Farmguy, I have a 'smart' charger. Maybe I'm not so stooopid. :wink2::wink2::wink2:

Thanks again !!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts