GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like i may need new Battery i left key on and let it go flat what.Is the choice of most i have had good luck with Westco in the past where is the best deal price wise Westco or yusca.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As long as the battery was in reasonable shape to start with and it hasn't been discharged for a prolonged period, why don't you just recharge it? A battery charger would be cheaper than a new battery (and then you'd have the fix for "the next time"). If I would have discharged my car battery I wouldn't go buy a new one. I'd jump start it and let the alternator recharge it. Don't know about jump starting a Goldwing, though.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Don't depend on the alt. to charge the battery unless you are in for a long ride. Charging with a charger and/or B. tender would be the better way to go. If it is so dead the tender won't read any current and won't charge,fool it with a second battery hooked to the first one. As soon as it starts to charge remove the good one and it will continue to charge.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BATTERY

Thanks for the suggestions I have several chargers one of which is a Battery tender Plus.I plan on trying to recharge it I have some bike batteries don't like being run flat.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Some dummy left the key turned on and my '01 battery (original) went flat last summer. So I just hooked it up to the BT jr. and within 24 hours it was charged.
Battery was still going strong in November when I stored it for winter.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Don't depend on the alt. to charge the battery unless you are in for a long ride.
I have nearly 80,000 miles on the bike, and the alternator has done just fine. Why not depend on the alternator? The Batter Tender only puts out 1 or 2 amps, the alternator about 90.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
From a dead flat battery I don't think the alternator is the way to go. A weak battery jumped started in a pinch is different. A lot of the alt. current goes to run the bike. I'm not saying it can't be done I just think the charger is a better choice if available.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Re: BATTERY

ANGUS said:
Thanks for the suggestions I have several chargers one of which is a Battery tender Plus.I plan on trying to recharge it I have some bike batteries don't like being run flat.
been there and done that TWICE :oops:
if your battery is down to 4 volts or below the battery tender probably won't work, its a built in safety thing

i would put a regular battery charger on it for about 20 minutes to get the volts up and then switch to the battery tender to finish charging

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks that is what i did I charged it with regular charger two hours then switched to battery tender Plus.I will know more in the morning looks like a nice day in the 60s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts