GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just picked up a Battlax BT-45 tire for the front tire replacement. Does this tire matter to run normal rotation or reverse? Just curious if any way is better over the other.
Currently have an MPA normal rotation, has 4,000 miles, cupping, and a serious flat spot. Front end wobbles like crazy.

Always keep front tire at 41 psi. Had 2 Hydroedge back tires installed recently. They both run about 26-28 PSI.

Any help appreciated, or if I'm good to go. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Either way seems to work.

Depending who is posting to defend their rotation choice

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I'm running mine normal rotation. 13,500 miles so far and it looks like it may have another 10K left in it. Very pleased.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I run both of mine in reverse but if I had it to do over I'd just run in the normal direction. Would probably shed water a whole lot better for one thing but since I have rarely ridden in the rain, and won't if I can avoid it, I'm not too concerned. If I ever get in a hard rain I'll probably be more cautious considering.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My first "rear" tire on the front of a trike was and is a Battlax BT-45. I decided to mount it rolling in reverse, and nothing has happened to cause me to regret that decision. The tire may have done as well rolling forward ... I don't know. I have almost 10,000 miles on the tire now, and I just measured the tread depth to see how much was left. I've used about 4 tenths of the available tread depth to this point, in other words just less than half. So I expect to get good mileage from the tire. Considering the roads that I ride on, I think the tire has done really well. Like wb9uze, I don't ride in much rain ... don't have the chance! .... but I also tend to find a place to rest when it's raining, or if I can't, I slow way down. What rain I have experienced has not been any kind of problem. My tire shows no sign of cupping, and no other signs of early demise. I have been very satisfied with it, and I have no reason not to change the rotation next time around. Unless something happens to change my mind, I'm settled!

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Mine went on in reverse rotation because of a couple articles published, explaining the logic of doing so, at the time. These articles were published by tire companies.
Of course, as usual, with everything there are usually those that know more than the experts so it becomes gospel after a few posts that it makes no difference and it's OK to run a rear tire in proper rotation when mounted on the front.
These articles explained the forces applied to a rear tire when mounted on the rear in proper rotation where closely duplicated when run in reverse rotation mounted on the front of a trike.
There was no mention of tire mileage differences according to rotation used. None said that you were going to experience any dramatic differences in "anything" by using normal rotation. They simply reported it was better to run a rear tire in reverse rotation when mounted on the front.
These articles make no suggestion of orientation when used on the front of a 2 wheeled bike.
>Michelin motorcycle tire support: "We recommend installing the Pilot Activi mounted in the reverse direction"
>Motor Trike recommends putting a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front, with reverse rotation @ 41# of air.
Those are but, 2 statements included in many articles concerning this subject when a "Bing" search is made!
There are those that have reported these companies no longer make such recommendations. I find no evidence of that. Maybe someone can post a link where one of these companies have "reversed" their opinions on reverse rotation of a rear tire when mounted on the front

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Here is what Metzler said a few years ago....

From Metzler 's website . http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...l/default.page See #20

20. Arrow = The arrow indicates the rotation direction of the tyre accordingly to its fitting position (front or rear). In case a rear tyre is fitted on a front wheel, the tyre has to be fitted reverse to the rotating direction indicated on the sidewall. Fitment of front tyres on rear wheel is not permitted.

Here is a the updated website......

tires up front : http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...q/default.page Rear tyres can be mounted at front wheels?When producing tires, the top cap is heated with an angle bump on the carcass. To prevent the detachment of the assembled edges the tire has to be mounted (concerning the main stress: acceleration force at the rear wheel or brake force at the front wheel) corresponding to the respective declaration. Therefore the declaration of the driving direction at the tires´ sidewall is a very important safety regard and has to be noticed absolute. It is not allowed to mount front tires at rear wheels or vice versa.

The reverse rotation makes sense to me based on this explanation and the force on the front tire coming from braking, but I have run my BT45's in both directions and have found no difference.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/products/technology/readingasidewall/default.page

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/products/technology/faq/default.page

Kurt

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have run two BT45s. One on a 1500 and the one I am now running on my 1800. I mounted the 1500 in normal rotation and the 1800 is reversed. I can tell no difference. The normal rotation got over 20,000 and was changed early. The one I am now running seems that it will get about the same. I do notice some slight cupping on the one I am now running but I don't think it will affect it's life.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm not at all sure how much difference it makes.

I called Bridgestone, said I needed a technical guy. He recommended reverse, sounded like he knew what he was talking about. So that's what I did.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A related question

Have any trike owners had a dealer refuse to install a rear tire on the front?

I contacted a dealer who had previously installed a rear tire on my Motortrike front wheel to get a quote for a new BT45 installed. The young person I talked to informed me that they no longer install rear tires on the front of any motorcycle. I was at work and did not have time to persue the issue with the tire shop manager.

My trike dealer will do the install, but wants $250 + tax for a BT45 and its installation. This is about $90 higher than last year. So I decided on a do-it-yourself install. Ordered a BT45 from Ronayers.com, $115 delivered; ordered two additional tire irons and four rim shields from Motion Pro; and splurged on a static tire balancer and Drag Specialties scissor jack from No-Mar Enterprises. Other than the tire balancer and jack, I invested about $60 for tools and supplies to do my own tire changes. How many of you do your own tire changes?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

I contacted a dealer who had previously installed a rear tire on my Motortrike front wheel to get a quote for a new BT45 installed. The young person I talked to informed me that they no longer install rear tires on the front of any motorcycle. I was at work and did not have time to persue the issue with the tire shop manager.

My trike dealer will do the install, but wants $250 + tax for a BT45 and its installation. This is about $90 higher than last year. So I decided on a do-it-yourself install. Ordered a BT45 from Ronayers.com, $115 delivered; ordered two additional tire irons and four rim shields from Motion Pro; and splurged on a static tire balancer and Drag Specialties scissor jack from No-Mar Enterprises. Other than the tire balancer and jack, I invested about $60 for tools and supplies to do my own tire changes. How many of you do your own tire changes?
I change my own Mike. Not so sure now it is cost effective except in your case not a lot of money invested and those tools should get the job done. Might take a little more time but what the heck. I had a dealer mount a rear tire on my VTX1800C and he charged me $60 and I provided the tire and took the wheel to him. Since I bought my No-Mar changer I've found a couple of places that will mount and balance one for $15 to $25 depending on size. Go for it. You don't have to normally change one that often anyway unless you like to accelerate fast or burn rubber. IMO, $250 plus tax is pretty high. Probably charging at least $160 in labor. That's a tat more than I'd care to pay for pulling a front wheel but to each his own.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bt45

27K miles on my BT45, same on a couple Chinese rears. Almost waited too long, but toyhauler needed $2000 in tires first.
Put Cooper CS 4's on rear, beaded.
Bought new BT45 from DirectLine for $118, but when credit card bill came, they charged me $140. Will call them tomorrow.
My local MC tire changer charged me $15. I beaded it myself. Can't wait to get it on and check our "new" ride. Ride safely.

·
Registered
175 Posts
troubles with my BT45

I have a Hannigan trike conversion its two years old, last year I installed the Battlax bt45 tire in reverse in front. I have about 3000 miles on it and it has severe cupping it sounds like i am running with off road truck tires! I have heard nothing but good about these tires did I just get a bad one? I keep it inflated to 41 psi. earyler this year I noticed i had a bad fork seal on one side, which I had repaired would that have caused the tire to cup?

Clear skies, Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
After Action Report

As usual the first time is a learning experience. After removing the wheel I set it on four 12" lengths of wood 4"x 4" to keep the brake rotors safe and went to work. I used a large c-clamp to break the bead and it takes a bit more compression than anticipated, but got it done. The Motion Pro rim shields worked well during removal. I used two Motion Pro 16" tire irons and one generic iron I already had. The generic iron was used to anchor the bead while using the MP irons to lever the tire bead over the wheel rim. Used a bit of sprayed on Windex as a lubricant. Once the first bead was off the wheel the other bead did not take much to get it off. Removal was fairly easy.

The installation was a bit more work and was initially very frustrating because of incorrect procedure on my part. First, lubing the wheel top edge and tire bead with slicone lube made it easy to get the first bead over the wheel rim. I was able to get the first bead over the rim by hand pressure only. The work comes in getting the second bead completely over the rim. The key to getting the second bead in place is to keep the tire beads in the center well of the wheel-they naturally want to seat on the wheel's bead seat area. After initial failures, I realized what the probem was and rectified it by using wood blocks to keep the tire bead away from the wheel bead seat. I used four blocks to keep the first bead off the wheel and four blocks on the second bead as I worked the bead on using three irons--one iron to anchor the bead in place. The rim shields, when wet with the tire lube, were frustrating to use as the tire irons kept slipping on the shields when levering the tire over the rim. Howver, with a third hand on the anchoring iron, and using patience and levering small incriments of tire over the rim, I was able to get it done. No-Mar sells tire irons especially made for the Goldwing wheels. They're a bit pricey, but after may experience with the slippery rim shields, I'm going to invest in a set of them for future tire changes.

The BT45 was mounted in reverse rotation, as recommended by Motor Trike. My previous MPAs were mounted in normal rotation, and I wanted to try the reverse rotation for comparison.

I used the No-Mar static tire balancer and it worked as advertised. After installing the wheel on the bike, I installed 8 oz. of Ride-On tire sealant and took it for a spin to verify I got it right. After a few miles of moderate speed to disperse the tire sealant the ride smoothed out to a very smooth ride--no out of balance--with speeds ranging from 25 to 75 mph.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My trike has two rear Dunlops that are radial. Do I have to use a radial on the front?
Nope. Unless I've totally lost my mind the 2 BT-45 Battlax's I run on the front are biased tires. I think the same applies to the Michelin Activ's but not positive on that.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Both BT 45 and the Michelin are bias ply...I think that's why they last so long...

·
Registered
50 Posts
forgive me if i missed it, but with the bt45 for a front tire are you using the stock size? 130/70/18? or changing it out? thx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts