GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running Michelin on the rear and getting a new Bridgestone Driveguard RF this week.

I’m going to go double dark and replace the front with a Battlax BT45. I’ve seen posts regarding mounting this tire to run backwards against the marked rotation direction. My question is — Why?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering , too(will be double dark at my next front tire change). I was told, because of traction, but I would also like the real answer, from the guys who live it.

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
I run mine the way the arrow says usually get 33,000 + out of them . Keep 41 lbs air and i use beads .

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am on the second BT45, and got 30,000 out of the first one. I mounted both so the treads faced as they should, per the factory. No idea why anyone would suggest running it backwards. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. LOL

·
Registered
775 Posts
And the answer is: When used as a rear tire, it is designed for acceleration forces. When used as a front tire, it can be reversed for use in braking forces. This info actually came from Bridgestone several years ago and posted on another wing site.
That said, I don't believe this to be critical for the way most ride a Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
And the answer is: When used as a rear tire, it is designed for acceleration forces. When used as a front tire, it can be reversed for use in braking forces. This info actually came from Bridgestone several years ago and posted on another wing site.
That said, I don't believe this to be critical for the way most ride a Goldwing.
This is the way I had it explained to me also, but with today's tire construction methods I don't believe it to be necessary. I prefer to mount it in the proper rotational direction for the best possible water evacuation.
2¢ worth, hope you enjoy the double dark:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've run them both direction. No difference that I could tell. I swapped the one I have on there currently from forward to reverse at 5,000 miles to try to somewhat reverse the wear that causes buzzy in corners. I don't think reversing at 5,000 helped. Tire is a paint shaker in slow turns. I'll be glad to get rid of it and was glad to get rid of the first one as well. Figured if reversal would get rid of buzz the tire would be a good choice. They do last a long time, but not worth it again for me running either direction.
May be Colorado roads, they don't work favorably here for sure.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering , too(will be double dark at my next front tire change). I was told, because of traction, but I would also like the real answer, from the guys who live it.
I just put another bt 45 on the front of my Wing, this may be the third or forth one, i like them and have mounted them with in each direction with no difference that i can tell. the new tire and the one that it replaced were mounted with the arrow showing proper direction. works foe me and i don't even give it a thought. Dave44

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've run them both direction. No difference that I could tell. I swapped the one I have on there currently from forward to reverse at 5,000 miles to try to somewhat reverse the wear that causes buzzy in corners. I don't think reversing at 5,000 helped. Tire is a paint shaker in slow turns. I'll be glad to get rid of it and was glad to get rid of the first one as well. Figured if reversal would get rid of buzz the tire would be a good choice. They do last a long time, but not worth it again for me running either direction.
May be Colorado roads, they don't work favorably here for sure.
Are you sure it was a BT45, and not a Chinese counterfeit? LOL

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've gone through two of them, and both got real buzzy. The first one at 10,000 miles it was rediculous going in slow corners. The front fender would rattle to beat heck to the point I thought I possibly had something really messed up, but it was just the tire. I reversed direction, and the corner buzz was better, but had a constant vibration going straight down the highway, so no good at that point. I already had another mounted on another wheel, so figured I would not let it go 10,000 miles without swapping direction, so at 5,000 swapped to reverse. Now it's got 11,000 on it. I don't think swapping direction helped any. It buzzes and the front fender vibrates to beat heck just like the first one. I can look at the tread and see why. The same places on the tread that wore low running forward direction continue to wear low even after reversing direction. I was hoping to reverse the wear and wear the high spots on the tread by reversing the rotation, but no real benefit that way.
The tire does last good though, at 11,000 miles I still have more tread depth than a brand new 709.
I have a new 709 mounted on another wheel that I am really looking forward to getting back on the front along with a new Yokohama runflat. The Yokohama has worked great for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran a Battlax BT45 on a 1500 a few years ago. I mounted it backwards, because it's supposed to be quieter. It started to run bad quickly, and just got worse. I did love the Taxi-tire for the rear.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As I understand and was explained before it is due to the direction of force on the tire when braking or accelerating. Has to do with the direction the cord is wrapped. So in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that you could put enough force on it to make the cords slip over themselves running backwards would make the belt/cord tighten onto itself as would hard acceleration when used as a back tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts