GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these speakers? I was thinking about them for my 05 GL1800. Looks like they sell an amp as well, but I was just looking up upgrade current OEM speakers without going through the cost and trouble of adding an amp. Just curious what others have found with them, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tried them? No... But Bazooka does make pretty good speakers. However, they seem a bit pricey in comparison to the Polk speakers that most people here are using.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tried them? No... But Bazooka does make pretty good speakers. However, they seem a bit pricey in comparison to the Polk speakers that most people here are using.
I have not compared prices to the Bazookas but, I just finished installing 4 Polk DB501 speakers in my '03. I only had 2 before and, I just had the audio upgrade done by LarryM.

I have not taken on a ride yet but the sound is very nice so far! :thumbup:

Andy

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The Polk speakers provide a little more depth in the sound but dramatically reduce the output. I pulled out four brand new OEM speakers and replaced with Polk. Sounds good sitting in the shop but lacks punch out of the road. If you listened to your music at a volume setting of 15-16 with OEMs, you will need 21-22 for about the same output. After a test ride, I went home and fished my OEMs back out of the trash can. When driving the Polks off my iPod or XM off my Zumo, I can drive the bikes stereo a little harder and get more volume. Obviously, the bike's XM input signal is weak.

At 75-80 mph, I'll gladly sacrafice a little quality for quantity. Can't hear the subtle cybol hiss while flapping through the wind on the slab anyway. All things being equal, the OEMs aren't too bad until worn out. I used Sony front/Alpine rear in my '03 Wing with good success and only assumed the Polks would be an comparable upgrade, for me. I will say that if most of my riding was casual-paced on state highways, I think I'd really enjoy the Polks as they do have a richer sound. Although I have several sources feeding my headset, I prefer the music over the external speakers.

Z

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input, guys--interesting to say the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts