GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrapping-up some of the details: hotel reservations, IBA-recommended witnesses, last minute safety improvements (belly pan and Murphskit oil filter sleeve) to the Wing for my next IBA qualification: BunBurner Gold.

Spokane, WA to Tremonton, UT -- via Billings, Cheyenne (thank you Wyoming sub-board posters!), and Salt Lake City. I-90, I-25, I-80 and I-15/215 in/near SLC.

1530 miles. Will get good and rested by arriving a day early in Spokane, leave in the dark of the morning, and ride like crazy until the next morning.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/BBG1500-daylight-Langley

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good luck on your ride. Hope it is enjoyable!! I'm going to do a 50CC over the holiday and then stay a few days in San Diego with family. Then going to take my sister from San Diego to Tampa, Florida (Only a lot more relaxed trip on the way back across the country). I'm hoping to take back roads back to Indiana from Florida and stop through Robbinsville or Murphy, NC (Ride the Dragon) on the way home. Take care and have a safe ride!! You have some gorgeous country in your route!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Ms. K. A. "Daylight" Langley,

Good luck doing your BBG. You picked a great area to ride through.

I will do my BBG next Tuesday.....riding gods willing......as well as the first of the 4 equinox/solstice SS1000 rides. Probably to Omaha, Nebraska and back.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I've previously ridden I-90 to Billings (at which I headed ENE along I-94) in conjunction with my first IB, and, 2 years ago, rode through western WY (via Yellowstone to Evanston) as part of a "Just for the Halibut" 3-day weekend ride.

I love this part of the country! Both of my parents were originally from eastern Montana, although Dad's family moved (a few years later) to SW Wyoming.

Won't add any new states to my 'map', but it'll add some to the "highlighted, roads-ridden" map in my cube at work!

Kris

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wrapping-up some of the details: hotel reservations, IBA-recommended witnesses, last minute safety improvements (belly pan and Murphskit oil filter sleeve) to the Wing for my next IBA qualification: BunBurner Gold.

Spokane, WA to Tremonton, UT -- via Billings, Cheyenne (thank you Wyoming sub-board posters!), and Salt Lake City. I-90, I-25, I-80 and I-15/215 in/near SLC.

1530 miles. Will get good and rested by arriving a day early in Spokane, leave in the dark of the morning, and ride like crazy until the next morning.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/BBG1500-daylight-Langley

Sweet.

Looks like a great ride!

BTW, there's a "Link" link in the upper right hand corner of the page, just above the map - http://goo.gl/maps/UQ5B

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Good luck. Have a safe ride. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
3,571 Posts

http://preview.tinyurl.com/BBG1500-daylight-Langleyhttp://preview.tinyurl.com/BBG1500-daylight-Langley
Sounds like you have a good plan. Here's wishing you a safe and successful BBG. I'll be looking for the ride report.

Glen

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keeping fingers crossed. Weather forecast has been bouncing between crummy and "ehh. not great" for the turnaround point in Cheyenne.

At least the 10-day forecast no longer has "Thunderstorm" (at least, for today)... I don't have my "flux capacitor" and "time circuits" accessories ready yet. Although, a hit from 1.21 gigawatts would still cause a trail of fire down Interstate 80. :eek:4:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good luck with the ride.
Lots of rest ahead of time and lots of fluids during.
Keep us informed.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Keeping fingers crossed. Weather forecast has been bouncing between crummy and "ehh. not great" for the turnaround point in Cheyenne.

At least the 10-day forecast no longer has "Thunderstorm" (at least, for today)... I don't have my "flux capacitor" and "time circuits" accessories ready yet. Although, a hit from 1.21 gigawatts would still cause a trail of fire down Interstate 80. :eek:4:

Lee Trevino, a famous golf tour pro, once said "during a thunderstorm a person should carry a 1 iron because even God can't hit a 1 iron."

I had to scrub my summer solstice 1000 and BBG combined on June 21st because of the gigantic storm system centered around Michigan. Rain does not faze me, but large HAIL is different and not good for man nor machine. I will do my BBG in a couple of weeks and forget about an equinox/solstice certificate.

Best wishes for a successful ride.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck with the ride.
Lots of rest ahead of time and lots of fluids during.
Keep us informed.
Thanks! Good idea! I built-in a 2-night stay (1 full night, plus the night before depature) to rest at my ride starting point about 300 mles from home. Will have my extra socks, change of shirts and knickers in my rucksack (mil style) with the 100oz fluid bladder. Will ride out with my First Gear armored riding pants - just to save time if the drizzle starts up.

I'll drop a quck post when I get to the BBG end point - and after I rest-up before heading to my SS2000 end point in Western MT.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ride complete at 0130hrs (MDT).

Will still need to send in the paperwork to IBA, but maps.google and GPS indictae that I rode enough miles within 22hrs (+/-) to get the ride certified by IBA.1530 (+/-) or so according to the Garmin. The bike's odo underreports by about 27-28 miles/thousand (as compared to GPS) miles ridden, an came up with 1501 from departure from the motel.

Will do ride report after I get home. Still in SLC area, and this Blackberry isn't THAT conducive to posting messages.

Riding through a high desert thunderstorm, after dark, makes for an interesting climax to an LD ride, however.

Have a couple of new pet peeves, too! LOL

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Ms. K'ster A'ster "Daylight'ster" Langley'ster:

Congrats and a big WAYTAGO'STER TO YOU!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I recommend that you post a new thread when you announce your success and tell us your ride report.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recommend that you post a new thread when you announce your success and tell us your ride report.

Will do!

Since it "only" required another 500 miles of riding within 24 hours, yesterday - and I had to head for home (nearly 800 to 1000 miles, depending upon route take) anyway - I went for a Saddlesore 2000 to supplement the BBG. Anticipated this, so havd the start of ride and end of ride paperwork for the SS2000 with me.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Will do!

Since it "only" required another 500 miles of riding within 24 hours, yesterday - and I had to head for home (nearly 800 to 1000 miles, depending upon route take) anyway - I went for a Saddlesore 2000 to supplement the BBG. Anticipated this, so havd the start of ride and end of ride paperwork for the SS2000 with me.

Very cool. I am going to do the same thing.:thumbup::thumbup:

Gramps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts