GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I had the opportunity to join a couple of close buddies who helped to organize a ride for some out-of-town visitors.

During the ride, one of the visitors lost control of his bike in a turn, and went down pretty hard. He crossed over the opposing lane and tumble-rolled off the bike, while the bike itself endoed and flipped, landing at the top of a steep down-hill slope.

The rider himself sustained only minor scrapes and bruises, but the rental Harley was completely totaled. Thinking of all that could have happened, he is fortunate to be alive, and we were all grateful that no other bike or on-coming vehicle was involved.

His accident was 100% rider error... likely due to lack of riding experience, and mis-reading the turn.

Anyway the point I want to make is this... For safety sake, know the people you ride with, and if you don't know their riding ability, give an extra measure of distance between you and them.

Fortunately everyone in our group, will live to ride another day, but if the outcome had been different, it could have been a real tragedy.

Ride safe,
Greg

·
Registered
153 Posts
The thing that I notice most about inexperienced riders is they don't lean enough when they hit turns. They probably don't think they have to or are afraid they will fall.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I once rode with a group and one guy was very inexperienced. He kept trying to ride the curves without leaning. Finally he wound up hitting a guard rail on a curve. He got pretty busted up with a few broken bones. I saw how he was riding and I stayed way back.

It is always best to observe how your fellow riders are handling their bikes.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
That's one of the reasons I do not do group rides. Much too dangerous and not at all enjoyable for me. To each his own. I'll stick to riding solo with my girlfriend on the back at times. That way I'm the boss and I don't worry about rider skills other than my own.:thumbup:

Ride safe all.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
640 Posts
Reminds me of a poker run I was in at a GWRRA campout several years ago in Texarkana, Texas. There were 50 or so Goldwings and 2 sports bikes with loud pipes. I felt like something would happen as it just was too many bikes in one bunch, so I managed to get to be the next to last bike in the ride. We were going down a small 2 lane road in southern Arkansas and the two sports bikes were 3 bikes ahead of me, leaving a Wing on my right side and me along the center stripe. All the wings had gone by the same spot, but as the 2 sport bikes with the louder pipes went by, a deer jumped up and ran out in front of the wing in the right lane just ahead of me. They were riding two up on the wing with leather gear and helmets. The bike struck the deer mid center and just stopped, the rear came up about 90 degree's and threw both riders off in front of it, the bike then did like a bucking bull and twisted to the right and flipped over several times before coming to a rest. I braked into the oncoming lane along with the drag behind be. Luckly no one was coming and the whole line was only doing about 50 mph. Driver ended up with road rash on hands and his wife ended up with broken collarbone, and right arm if I remember correctly. Bike was a total. I decided then never to ride in big groups and always try to ride drag or close to it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's one of the reasons I do not do group rides. Much too dangerous and not at all enjoyable for me. To each his own. I'll stick to riding solo with my girlfriend on the back at times.
I hear what you're saying, but it brings up another issue...

On one solo ride I went on, I strayed "off the beaten path" and rode on an old mountain road I used to go on years earlier. Over the years the road had deteriorated, with large potholes and sections of soft sand. Well I rounded a turn going only about 20mph and went down in some very soft sand. Thought I had busted my leg (but didn't)... and out of cell phone range. Fortunatly I was able to upright the bike and get back home, but I learned a very important lesson... Never ride alone when going into remote areas!

Probably common sense for most of you folks, but it was important news to me at the time.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Greg

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am a fairly new rider and the very 1st I learned was to ride in my comfort zone, Dont care if I am to slow pass me and I will catch up later,I try to stay in back if people are in a hurry which most of the time seems stupid to me,Why are some people in such a hurry to go nowhere.Everybody had to be newbie at somr time in their life!

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
When our club rides, we always have a road captain, which rides up front. We ride staggered with a tail-gunner at the end. Front and back usually has a cb so they can coordinate the ride . The tail gunner usually pulls to the side if there is a car that wants to pass and it is safe to do so. That way everyone moves over at the same time. Makes it easier, but if you have a gold wing and can't at least do the speed limit, you might want to ride by yourself. I still like to ride with as few as possible.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I enjoy a spirited ride from time to time...but I don't feel comfortable
shot gunning from every light and stop sign, 0-90 mph in 3.9 seconds...
it is sooo silly sometimes..not to mention fuel economy goes out the window.... I enjoy a nice ride 5-10 mph over at the most...with 3-4 guys
I know...

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
If I ride with others of unknown skill level I choose to be tailgunner observe and give 'em plenty of room. After you watch them for a while see the lines they choose and how well they handle a bike overall then you can always tighten up.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
When you see an 1800 zipping along in the mountains, it's not that they're "in a hurry". They're riding the bike for enjoyment, not transportation.

Some folks just enjoy the satisfaction of traversing a curvy mountain road with some spirit and to do so smoothly and well.

I'll never forget the first time I rode with Yellow Wolf. Right before the 8 or so bikes left he gathered us around and say basically that riding the mountains is a "very testosterone driven sport".....but, to just ride your own ride, within your comfort level, and don't worry about what others are doing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Although I have been riding over 35 years on different kinds of bikes (last one being a vtx 1800) I have found the Wing is a totally different ride. I love everything about it but I have found I am having to learn to ride this bike differently. Low speeds mostly but it takes a lot of practice for me to handle this bike and with Wife on back starting and stopping on hills is really tricky........

·
Registered
475 Posts
I do not ride with groups, it just adds to the stuff you already have to watch out for. I will ride with 1 or two that I know, know how to ride.:beer3:

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
I am opposed to riding in large groups and long ago we quit riding with GWRRA because of it. There are a surprising number of riders out there that actually should not be on a motorcycle. I see it everytime on our Patriot Guard rides locally here. I feel that since I don't have the right or the ability to change the way others ride I do the next best thing......avoid it whenever possible. Nothing ruins a ride quicker than watching the results of a foolish accident.

S

·
0 Posts
Last group ride I did the average speeds were over 100 and then the helicopter and rescue trucks showed up. So I went home.

That was my last group ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get A SPOT

I hear what you're saying, but it brings up another issue...

On one solo ride I went on, I strayed "off the beaten path" and rode on an old mountain road I used to go on years earlier. Over the years the road had deteriorated, with large potholes and sections of soft sand. Well I rounded a turn going only about 20mph and went down in some very soft sand. Thought I had busted my leg (but didn't)... and out of cell phone range. Fortunatly I was able to upright the bike and get back home, but I learned a very important lesson... Never ride alone when going into remote areas!

Probably common sense for most of you folks, but it was important news to me at the time.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Greg
Great advice. To increase your chances of survival, there are devices and services out there to make yourself "findable" and where you can send for help. The "SPOT" is one such device. It is a satellite messenger use can use to send for help, even 911, if you need it. Check it out at www.findmespot.com. You can even track your tavels on Goggle Maps with the device.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
While I tend not to join in group rides I see nothing wrong with others who do.

My experience in group rides is no one rides to the limitations of the least experienced rider(s). Many times those riders feel they must keep up with the leaders rather than ride their own ride and that is where the dangers arrise. If experienced group riders would take the time to adjust their riding to the less skilled riders, pay attention to their riding patterns, and at the next break maybe highlight some methods that would help them gain confidence I think many lone riders would be more comfortable in group techniques.

I remember a few years ago on a trek at the hoot following a lady rider and her male companion and she was having difficulty in the curves. What I noticed is she was looking down in the curves instead of looking through the curves. At the first opportunity when they pulled over to let riders behind them pass, I took a few minutes to stop and state what I had been observing. I made it a friendly suggestion and said she might want to try it a few times to see how she felt going through curves that way. I don't know if she tried it or not - but I felt that I had done my part to help another rider feel more comfortable riding and possibly a safer rider.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Reminds me of a poker run I was in at a GWRRA campout several years ago in Texarkana, Texas. There were 50 or so Goldwings and 2 sports bikes with loud pipes. I felt like something would happen as it just was too many bikes in one bunch, so I managed to get to be the next to last bike in the ride. We were going down a small 2 lane road in southern Arkansas and the two sports bikes were 3 bikes ahead of me, leaving a Wing on my right side and me along the center stripe. All the wings had gone by the same spot, but as the 2 sport bikes with the louder pipes went by, a deer jumped up and ran out in front of the wing in the right lane just ahead of me. They were riding two up on the wing with leather gear and helmets. The bike struck the deer mid center and just stopped, the rear came up about 90 degree's and threw both riders off in front of it, the bike then did like a bucking bull and twisted to the right and flipped over several times before coming to a rest. I braked into the oncoming lane along with the drag behind be. Luckly no one was coming and the whole line was only doing about 50 mph. Driver ended up with road rash on hands and his wife ended up with broken collarbone, and right arm if I remember correctly. Bike was a total. I decided then never to ride in big groups and always try to ride drag or close to it.
Not trying to stir anything up, but what does a deer jumping out in front of a bike have to do with riding in a group? You seem to imply that the loud pipes on the sport bikes caused the deer to jump into traffic. I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I have a story going back 27 years ago where a good friend of mine and I were out and hooked up with 7 other bikes who thought they were real hot shoes. The entire story is too long to tell, although it is quite a story.

The final result is that of the seven, three of them crashed - one ended up in the middle of a river! It was an extremely bizzar story that I still remember like it was yesterday.

I too vowed to never ride with strangers again.

R

·
0 Posts
I have a story going back 27 years ago where a good friend of mine and I were out and hooked up with 7 other bikes who thought they were real hot shoes. The entire story is too long to tell, although it is quite a story.

The final result is that of the seven, three of them crashed - one ended up in the middle of a river! It was an extremely bizzar story that I still remember like it was yesterday.

I too vowed to never ride with strangers again.
Well tell it, I like bizarre story's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts