GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride with beads on my seat. I need to get one for my wife. The beads I use are the wingstuff wooden beads. I have absolutely no complaints and I won't leave home without them.

This is the one I currently have:

http://wingstuff.com/products/22902-motorcycle-oversize-beaded-seat-cover?from_search=1

Question:

On bead riders website, they have the classic (wood) and ultimate (ceramic). The ceramic is twice the price. Does anyone have any experience between the wooden and ceramic beads?

http://www.beadrider.com/shop/ultimate-beadrider-seat-front-seat-only/

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Can't help ya. I've had two sets of the inexpensive Wing Stuff beads.
Thinking about the ceramic beads.
Looking forward to others reviews.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The Ultimate will hold up better to long-term heat, moisture, etc... ceramic vs. wood. Having stated the "theoretical" (per Beadrider), the nylon stitching failed on my first Ultimate after 2 seasons. I had the pad permanently attached to the seat, and I think the hot summer sun destroyed the thread when the bike was parked. Beadrider replaced the pad for free as a customer service jesture; I picked it up from the owners house in Maryland. The replacement Ultimate pad is stored in my saddlebag when I'm not sitting on it, and after 3 years it looks like brand new!

I won't ride without it either!!! :bow:

I currently ride with beads on my seat. I need to get one for my wife. The beads I use are the wingstuff wooden beads. I have absolutely no complaints and I won't leave home without them.

This is the one I currently have:

http://wingstuff.com/products/22902-motorcycle-oversize-beaded-seat-cover?from_search=1

Question:

On bead riders website, they have the classic (wood) and ultimate (ceramic). The ceramic is twice the price. Does anyone have any experience between the wooden and ceramic beads?

http://www.beadrider.com/shop/ultimate-beadrider-seat-front-seat-only/

·
Banned
792 Posts
From what I have heard the wood beads start to peel the paint where the ceramic stay nice. I don't know from experience but I am curious what others have to say. I have been contemplating this route but opted for the sheep skin to keep things dry down there. Good to know you like them as others do to.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Gary, you said, "The replacement Ultimate pad is stored in my saddlebag when I'm not sitting on it, and after 3 years it looks like brand new!"

Do you hook them on and unhook them off each time? Or do you just lay the beads on the seat and ride?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Merely lay the Ultimate pad on the seat and ride; then just lift it off at the end of the day. It stays put... no issues. :thumbup:

Gary, you said, "The replacement Ultimate pad is stored in my saddlebag when I'm not sitting on it, and after 3 years it looks like brand new!"

Do you hook them on and unhook them off each time? Or do you just lay the beads on the seat and ride?

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
got mine at walfarts for $ 20 for a car . trimmed it down a little but it goes up over the utopia backrest and keeps my back cooler ! toasty here in fl. cheap wooden beads -2 yrs old - good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
I currently have the ceramic beads and they still look brand new after three years. The wooden beads are somewhat softer which is noticeable on long days. On long days I will periodically remove the beads and sit on the stock seat trying to do that appropriate to the ambient temperature. I have used beads for four years and have never had a problem with slipping at all, I just lay the beads down and sit on them. I only use the beads on hot days.

·
Banned
792 Posts
well i bit the bullet and ordered the ceramic, i will post my thoughts after i get some miles on them.
Thought these were for your wife. You gonna take the new ones and give her the old wooden things? :shrug: I would.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought these were for your wife. You gonna take the new ones and give her the old wooden things? :shrug: I would.
i cant have unmatched beads.....what would people think:)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've had the wooden bead rider seat cover for 5 years...It has saved me many days of Diaper rash.....I love them.... YES,,, they were black painted... and the paint is wearing off... who gives a crap...!!.. they keep MY butt real comfortable on a 7 hour day....!!

I'd buy then again if I ever had to... (I don't care that they are losing paint)... They make my butt feel good...

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i put about 600 miles on the ceramic beads (ultimate bead rider) and I am impressed. the ceramic seem to be a bit smoother and cooler. However, i was also comfortable on the wooden beads too.

the ceramic does fit my wing better, i think i got the 13x14. Probably other than the fit and finish (ceramic fit better and look better) , i really cant tell that much difference other than the ceramic seem "smoother"

·
Banned
792 Posts
well i put about 600 miles on the ceramic beads (ultimate bead rider) and I am impressed. the ceramic seem to be a bit smoother and cooler. However, i was also comfortable on the wooden beads too.

the ceramic does fit my wing better, i think i got the 13x14. Probably other than the fit and finish (ceramic fit better and look better) , i really cant tell that much difference other than the ceramic seem "smoother"
From what I see they come in 12 x 12, 13 x 13, 14 x 14 or 15 x 15. I am still on the fence regarding these and I never know what is the best size to order regarding any of the seat gadgets. I have been giving my Alaska Leather Butt Pad a try over the weekend and it is nice as well but I wonder if the beads are better on the hot days.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I see they come in 12 x 12, 13 x 13, 14 x 14 or 15 x 15. I am still on the fence regarding these and I never know what is the best size to order regarding any of the seat gadgets. I have been giving my Alaska Leather Butt Pad a try over the weekend and it is nice as well but I wonder if the beads are better on the hot days.

must have been 14x14, i use my alaskan butt pad when it is cool outside. on long rides i will put my abp ob the beads for 100 miles or so to change leg positions for a while

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ceramic beads

I've been using the ceramics for about 4 years and they go on in April and stay on til Dec. I use some 1/2" ROK straps with quick releases for removing for storing when parked somewhere questionable.
Copy of IMG_0968.JPG Copy of IMG_0969.JPG
It's the only way I can get some air moving around the backside. They are waterproof, but I have had to re-tie a couple of the monofilament knots.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
got mine at walfarts for $ 20 for a car . trimmed it down a little but it goes up over the utopia backrest and keeps my back cooler ! toasty here in fl. cheap wooden beads -2 yrs old - good luck
Next time I see you I'll take a look at yours. I like the idea of going over the utopia as that has always been a hot spot for me.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts

We didn't know you were married Kevin, never seen her on any rides, what up with dat.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been using the ceramics for about 4 years and they go on in April and stay on til Dec. I use some 1/2" ROK straps with quick releases for removing for storing when parked somewhere questionable.
View attachment 54481 View attachment 54482
It's the only way I can get some air moving around the backside. They are waterproof, but I have had to re-tie a couple of the monofilament knots.
If you park your bike in the sun for a short period of time, do they get Hot? I have wooden beads and love them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts