GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an 18/19 been using a beaded seat? I, like many, have been unhappy with the stock seat and plan to do (probably a Seth Laam) an upgrade in November after the riding season and before my annual Superbowl Key West trip. But between now and then I'm just trying to get comfortable on this seat. I DO have an airhawk and use it on occasion as a "change up" on one leg in a riding day. At 5-8 I don't particularly care for the 'lift' I get with the air hawk, but it does provide some comfort improvement.

I'm wondering if a beaded seat must also provide some benefit. Has anyone else used a beaded seat with positive results?

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Search old posts by FredH, he has used the beads for a long time and I think he did comment regarding use of them with his 2018; either here or on YouTube.

prs

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use one but more for air flow to keep my butt dry than seat comfort. What really helped make the stock seat comfortable for me was adding a back rest.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have used the beads for many years on almost all my bikes. When I got my 18 Goldwing I had to wait several months for my Russell Day Long appointment and used the beads I already had on the new Wing. They enhance comfort greatly when it is hot by allowing air circulation. They do little to nothing to make up for an uncomfortable seat. You simply will be less uncomfortable when its hot because you do not have the added irritation of sweating. I use the beads on my Wing even with the Russell seat when its hot. They are on the bike most all summer. When the air turns cool you will be taking them off quickly as they will get your bottom feeling pretty frosty.

I have friends who have tried the beads but just cannot get comfortable sitting on them no matter how much they tried. They do feel different and take a little getting used to. IMHO its well worth getting used to the feel of the beads on the seat but you need a comfortable seat to start with.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No. 1 accessory I couldn't do without. I'm very hot natured and live in ****, I mean Florida. As stated above I don't know if it makes the seat more comfortable, but it is more comfortable not having a wet back side. So therefore it is more comfortable. An added benefit is that it keeps you from sitting in a pool when it rains.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What brand do those that use them recommend?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If properly inflated, the Air Hawk should not raise your seating position. When not sitting on it, the Air Hawk should feel mostly deflated. You add just enough air to keep the lowest parts of your butt In contact with the seat, but enough air so that the outer rim of your butt shares the pressure. Also, when you shift your weight, the Air relocates so that you continue to spread the pressure over a maximum amount of surface.
For me, the Air Hawk is the best comfort solution

·
Registered
406 Posts
What brand do those that use them recommend?
I like the Beadrider beads. The wooden beads are my choice as they do not retain heat as the ceramic ones do. With the ceramic beads if you do not cover them when in direct sun they will get very hot and take a long time to cool. exactly what you are tying to avoid. they do last much longer but just not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Used beads since 08. Go to Walmart, buy the car set of beads and cut it down to your bike seat. Cheap, but it really works.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use BeadRider Ultimate (ceramic) out in the SoCal high desert area and I don't have an issue with it at all. I have left the bike parked out in the sun for hours and never had an issue with "hot beads", my black vinyl seats are hot, the beads are fine...JMHO

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the Beadrider beads. The wooden beads are my choice as they do not retain heat as the ceramic ones do. With the ceramic beads if you do not cover them when in direct sun they will get very hot and take a long time to cool. exactly what you are tying to avoid. they do last much longer but just not worth it in my opinion.
I have used BeadRider in wood and ceramic. The wood beads retain no heat but Fade over time. I've had a set of Ceramic beads for 4 years now and they look brand new.

A heat soaked seat left in the sun can be very uncomfortable for several minutes after sitting on it (not to mention there is no air flow between you and the seat). With the wood beads you will feel almost no heat when you sit on a heat soaked seat. With the ceramic beads you will feel some warmth but not like the seat itself and what little heat you do feel dissipates rapidly.

We have ridden thousands of miles on both wood and ceramic beads. Personally I prefer the ceramic because they are effective and look like new for years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use these; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YXC919/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I paid $10 for two of them delivered. They are now $16.25 for two sets delivered.
About four weeks ago I road 1044 miles in just under 20 hours doing a combination Iron Butt and Tour of Heroes around Arizona. I was completely comfortable and satisfied on the entire trip.
Last year I used them on my 3,500 mile trip and loved them. They have held up well.
I do generally remove them in the winter months, but then I don't drive 1,000 miles in a day during the winter...usually.
YMMV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts