GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some tire beads at Flying J, on sale, 9 oz for $4.99, and had them put in my car tires thinking they would keep my tires in balance for the life of the tread but the car shook like crazy.

Now I'm wondering why the beads can get such good press from the MC riders that are using them and yet work so bad my car?

Is there such a thing as "defective" beads or are some bead makers better than other bead makers?

Is a bead a bead? :shrug:

Has any one else tried beads in their car tires? :confused:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It's called "snake oil".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Beads are designed for higher profile tires, if you have low profile tire (like most passenger cars today) they will not work very well. You need space between the tire tread and the rim to work

·
Registered
94 Posts
From the Dynabead website:

If your tires have an Aspect ratio of 65 or below, we do not list these tire types as we classify them as "low-profile". Low profile tires often need lateral balance correction that can only be rectified with the use of standard wheel weights applied to both the inside and outside rim.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Beads are designed for higher profile tires, if you have low profile tire (like most passenger cars today) they will not work very well. You need space between the tire tread and the rim to work

If your tires have an Aspect ratio of 65 or below, we do not list these tire types as we classify them as "low-profile". Low profile tires often need lateral balance correction that can only be rectified with the use of standard wheel weights applied to both the inside and outside rim.
:agree::agree:

It's called "snake oil".
And, I dis-agree ^

·
Registered
336 Posts
This part makes no sense at all
then this

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecf

1st the wing has a 180/60/16 (less that the 65 aspect ratio)
2nd most darksiders run a 195/55/16 (even less that the perfered aspect ratio)

:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can't explain it, but I owned a Volvo road truck with 11R22.5 low profile tires on it .I tried beads in the steer tires in 1998, took them out after about one week, threw them away and had my tires spin balanced. When I first heard about Dyna Beads I thought yeah snake oil, but after a reliable friend of mine said they really worked I tried them and they really work on the wing at least on mine. After talking to the Bridgestone tire rep at wing ding I don't know if I will run them next set or not. He told me it wasn't just Bridgestone but all tire manufacturers will not warrant a tire that has had anything foreign put on the inside of it including Dyna Beads.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Don't know if the beads work or not, but a lot of guy's on here seem to have good luck with them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Proper amounts are required per tire size. Work great in all my vehicles no problems.:agree:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Peteswing, do you remember the brand name of the beads you are using?

I called the manufacturer of the beads I used to see how much weight I should put in each tire and was told they didn't have a chart for car wheels just for trucks. He guessed 2 oz per tire.

Who knows, maybe there's a difference between truck beads and car beads? The only difference I can see is the beads I had were larger than Dyna Beads.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Riiiiight - cause the trucking industry is immune to BS gimmicks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Riiiiight - cause the trucking industry is immune to BS gimmicks.
srobak. Your clearly in the minority on this one.

I run them in my full sized 3/4T pickup and they made a noticeable difference. It still rides like a truck but on the super slab it's smoother than ever. The wife even noticed the better ride as a passenger and she didn't know I added the beads. Some pretty bad snake oil indeed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts