GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
They seem to work most of the time, not 100% of the time!

It all depends what you are trying to cover up.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Fred H. said:
The cheapest solution is to simply keep at least one hand on the bars at all times. :a13:
Wish that was the answer for mine! :x

I've had the "weenie wobble" with hands off on a couple of the 18's. To me that is a non issue. Put a hand on the bars. :twisted: The weenie wobble will usually go way with light pressure.

·
Registered
906 Posts
all balls stoped my wiggle and still have the stock lops on it tracks like its on rails LOVE IT EVEN BETTER NOW!!!!TRAXXION NEXT

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My bike came with BS tires and began to wobble hands free (even a bit hands on) as the tires were almost down to the wear bars. I ordered new tires and AllBalls. In the mean time I greased the OE bearings and reset them to 3# pull test pre-load. The wobble on those OE tires went away; at first. Then it re-appeared toward the end a 300 mile ride, but the rear tire was showing a lot of cords -- wear bars were slightly below the surface when we started the day trip. The New Avon tires smoothed her right out again and I put the new bearing set in my too box for furture use. That was four sets of tires ago and the wobbles only show-up at the end of tire life, if at all. Ready for tires again before too long. I checked my OE head bearings today and the pull test is still very close to 3# and smooth function, so I guess I will put off the AllBalls even longer.

prs

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Red said:
Fred H. said:
The cheapest solution is to simply keep at least one hand on the bars at all times. :a13:

I've had the "weenie wobble" with hands off on a couple of the 18's. To me that is a non issue. Put a hand on the bars. :twisted: The weenie wobble will usually go way with light pressure.
Hey Red, I think I figured it out.
You gotta strap that tail to the trunk so it don't flop around in the wind. :lol:
I hope they cure your wobble Red, but if they don't,
I hope Max at Traxxion gets a chance to work on it.
Sure would be nice if someone "in-the-business" of suspensions
could lay this GL1800 wobble thing to rest.
I had no wobble on the 02 until the bridgestone tire got about 10k on it
and then I noticed a slight wobble. I have no wobble on the new 07.
It has the Traxxion system and a fork brace
Did not have the brace when I tried the 35-45 deceleration without hands...no wobble.
Has the original Honda bearings...so far.
Won't change them unless a wobble develops to warrant the change.
I keep thinking about Max's earlier post....
about having seen thousands of bikes, and all sorts of tires,
and only the GL1800 seems to have so many instances of "wobble".
That may or may not be fact, but it sure is relevant.
DC

·
Registered
786 Posts
Fred H. said:
I had a medium wobble. Seemed to depend on tire pressure, road surface, etc..
I still would feel it (slightly) with both hands on the bars. All bars eliminated that (& with hands off) 90% of the time. Also a more secure low speed parking lot feel for me. BUT, I also found my stock bearing lock nut finger tight.

In my opinion... VERY worth changing to All-Balls. Hands on or off. It bugged me!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
My bike came with BS tires and began to wobble hands free (even a bit hands on) as the tires were almost down to the wear bars. I ordered new tires and AllBalls. In the mean time I greased the OE bearings and reset them to 3# pull test pre-load. The wobble on those OE tires went away; at first. Then it re-appeared toward the end a 300 mile ride, but the rear tire was showing a lot of cords -- wear bars were slightly below the surface when we started the day trip. The New Avon tires smoothed her right out again and I put the new bearing set in my too box for furture use. That was four sets of tires ago and the wobbles only show-up at the end of tire life, if at all. Ready for tires again before too long. I checked my OE head bearings today and the pull test is still very close to 3# and smooth function, so I guess I will put off the AllBalls even longer.

prs
I think you have the solution. Regular attention to maintainence. It is not only what is in the manual, you have to be aware of anything that needs to be adjusted or tightened even if the manual does not mention it. I think most wobble problems could be solved without the need for after market bearings.

Q

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think Honda uses the cheapest ball bearing they can use and it is an upgrade and improvement to switch to the tapered bearings.

In the Fred Harmon DVD's he mentioned Honda hadn't even greased his stock bearings.

I am changing mine this winter and have not had a problem with wobble. The tapered bearings are a much more substantial part and should last and work better. IMHO

Bisides it is fun to work and improve upon your bike. If I just let Big Red sit there every winter he gets lonely.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The wobble isn't caused by the steering head bearings but by the design of the front end. Honda chose to put ball bearings in the 1800 steering head because they provide better road feel than roller bearings (I understand they are used in all sport bikes).

So changing them is only masking the wobble not curing it.

I too have the wobble but didn't notice it until a friend pointed it out to me.
So I agree with Fred Harmon that keeping your hands on the bars at all times is the cheapest solution.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Red said:
Fred H. said:

well spoken :!:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts