GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more time than I thought so while I am doing Colorado mountain passes I was thinking about doing the Beartooth Hwy and Chief Joseph Hwy.
Is late August and 1st week of September to late to go there?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have made a trip out that way every year for the last 6 years. Also been a great weather.
Bear tooth Hwy and Chief Joseph great rides.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Late August or early September should be the perfect time to ride the Beartooth. Just keep an eye on the weather report. At that elevation, and for that matter in Colorado too, you can run into snow any day of the year. One time we rode in a blizzard near Walden on the 4th of July.

Not trying to scare you, because snow in the high country is rare in the summer. Just want you to be aware it can and does happen sometimes.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I've ridden those roads 4 times. They are some on my favorite roads to ride. . Beautiful scenery. Good luck and enjoy. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
2nd week of August 2010 . . . about 3" of snow and then freezing rain.
Certainly not common, but one should definitely watch the weather and ride prepared.
That said, it's well worth it, and is not to be missed!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Rode both during the second week of September last Fall. The weather was perfect. :thumbup:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have more time than I thought so while I am doing Colorado mountain passes I was thinking about doing the Beartooth Hwy and Chief Joseph Hwy.
Is late August and 1st week of September to late to go there?
Your timing on riding TO Beartooth should be OK, it should not be TOO late in the year.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another great ride, probably our favorite is highway 12 out of Lewiston over Lolo pass to Missoula. I've done Beartooth a few times and have really enjoyed the ride. You should be fine that time of year but like everyone has advised, be ready for anything. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If youre planning on getting a little frisky on Chief Joseph Byway I would suggest riding in the morning before the tar snakes heat up and get slippery!

·
Registered
334 Posts
If youre planning on getting a little frisky on Chief Joseph Byway I would suggest riding in the morning before the tar snakes heat up and get slippery!
Yes...agreed...but when I rode Chief Joseph, it was in the morning in July and those tar snakes were unreal. They were neither wet nor hot and I had my back wheel come around at least 8-10 inches on several corners. It was puckering to say the least. I don't know what the deal is there, must be the composition of the material but they are scary. Never encountered this anywhere else.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes...agreed...but when I rode Chief Joseph, it was in the morning in July and those tar snakes were unreal. They were neither wet nor hot and I had my back wheel come around at least 8-10 inches on several corners. It was puckering to say the least. I don't know what the deal is there, must be the composition of the material but they are scary. Never encountered this anywhere else.
IMHO, 9 out of 10 times, this can be attributed to the crew putting the tar down. Either the tar was not heated properly, or the nozzle operator simply applied way too much tar per inch, or both. When that tar lies mostly in a heap on top of the surrounding asphalt (or concrete), it is prone to moving around a bit, or feeling somewhat 'squirrelly' under lateral pressure such as when cornering.

Tar snakes are hit & miss in my area....they are either laid in correctly and pose nearly no threat to vehicles cornering, or they have been misapplied and are horrible to ride upon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts