GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are leaving this week to drive the Beartooth Pass. I have read many postings here and it sounds marvelous. I am curious if it is "better" to ride it from west to east? or east to west?

If time permits we may do it both directions, but would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
beartooth

I would definately do it both ways, and don't forget Chief Joseph too. I hope you have heated gear. Forcast, I think, is calling for cold.

Richard

·
Registered
99 Posts
My favorite way is from Red Lodge to Cooke City, I ride the tight twisties uphill better than downhill, so that is better for me, but either way is fantastic. Stop at the rest area just down from the top and take some spectacular pictures. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just did Chief Joseph last week, and it was wonderful!

If you do it, be aware Tar Snakes... there's a couple miles of really bad ones, the worst I've ever encountered actually.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well I only did Beartooth from Chief Joesph from Cody. It is an absolute great ride. I'm sure both ways are the best. I really liked Chief Joesph to Beartooth to Red Lodge.

·
Registered
905 Posts
either way is awsome .. forget trying to make time on the "twisties" .. relax and enjoy the scenery .. it's (imho) the best road in America !
Also .. bring peanuts .. the monstrous "chipmunks" at the rest stops will love you and you get a kick out of them too.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Just did Chief Joseph last week, and it was wonderful!

If you do it, be aware Tar Snakes... there's a couple miles of really bad ones, the worst I've ever encountered actually.
:agree:to both statements. I was just glad it wasn't a warmer day.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beartooth

A lot of great responses, thanks to all of you folks.

Sounds like we will probably ride it both directions so we don't miss anything.

Considering heading North to Glacier once we are finished at the Beartooth Pass.

Hope to be on the hill on Sunday and Monday. :excited:

Chuck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would definately do it both ways, and don't forget Chief Joseph too. I hope you have heated gear. Forcast, I think, is calling for cold.

Richard

Definitely agreed! If you have time do both, both ways! While the Beartooth Highway is IMO the most scenic highway in the country, the Chief Josheph was absolutely breath taking as well! Have fun and be safe!

Also, don't forget about the Wild Bill Musuem in Cody, WY. You'll really enjoy this, especially if your a history buff!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The video is from Cooke City to Red Lodge the end of June this year; if you have time do it both ways, it looks different going each way.

You might want to stop at Top O the World for a break and pick up a trinket.

As another poster said, you want to do Chief Joseph as well it is spectacular.

We really like staying in Cooke City; there are only 3 ways to get there, through Yellowstone (NE Gate, the least used gate), the Beartooth or Chief Joseph. Because of the terrain, there is not a lot of traffic in Cooke City and you will see an occasional bison, wolf or something else just as exotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp26PoPHMhw

This late in September, be sure to check the weather, it can be fine down below and turn really bad on the hill.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
video

Thanks for video Bingle. Kinda surreal to see the snowplow sticks with snow too. No snow near the road late last Sept when I was there. From the video, the snow banks seemed to make it less exposed than it seemed to me at the time. I had left my camera battery charger at RG10 and the spare camera battery had died on the way up. (They mailed it to me after I got home) So I really appreciate seeing it again.

Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts