GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I rode up to Blairsville ,Ga. on Sat. to get a Muffy Mountain Burger (great Burger) and to ride some twisties. If you know the area hwy 60 through Suches is a great ride. I had to go to Carrolton, Ga. to watch my son's college football game (Univ. of West Ga.). He plays Sousa in the band. So to avoid Atlanta traffic I rode over to Rome, Ga. and down to Carrollton. I felt something smack my Helmet and didn't think nothing of it then about 5 min later I felt something buzzing and crawling around my left side of my helmet. Needless to say after I got Red stopped and ripped off my helmet I found the bee and off he flew. I have read about the stings and possible ear exploration those things do. So I got lucky!! All in all it was a great ride, with a little adventure thrown in.

Drumz:doorag:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Sure glad that thing didn't sting you, or get inside your ear. Sounds like you had a great ride otherwise. That is a nice part of the country for riding.

·
Registered
134 Posts
bee in my boot

I know how you feel...a couple of months ago I was riding down a neighborhood street (not my neighborhood) and started feeling a burning on my shin. I pulled over and there was a bee in my boot, digging into my leg!! :shock: I have no idea how he got under my velcro'd pants and velcro'd motorcycle boots. Devlish little things.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Glad you're OK. It can be dangerous if you get stung on the head.

:nojoke:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When I was a kid, a buddy and I was exploring an old abandoned house. We were riding dirt bikes. When we went to get back on the bikes I put my helmet on and either scooped one up in the motion or he was in my helmet before I put it on. It got the crap stung out of the back of my head by a big black and yellow bumblebee. I'll never forget the pain.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow! Your fortunate! I had a bee go up my jacket sleave into my shirt about 6 weeks ago and IT WAS STINGING! You talk about a guy coming to a quick stop and naked (from the waist up anyway) at the same time!! That was ME!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow! Your fortunate! I had a bee go up my jacket sleave into my shirt about 6 weeks ago and IT WAS STINGING! You talk about a guy coming to a quick stop and naked (from the waist up anyway) at the same time!! That was ME!!
Now there is a mental picture I could have done without! A guy, any guy , stripping down in a big hurry on the side of the highway! YIKES !:eek:4:

My father had a similar problem years ago when I was a teen. We had gone for a family country drive in the RV, nice day, windows done type of day, when this bee flew in the window, landed right on dads lap, well zipper to be exact. . . He didn't really think, just reached out and snacked the bee. . . needless to say, the bee didn't HAVE to sting dad, he kind of stung himself! lol Never will forget THAT day !

·
Registered
678 Posts
I was checking pocket gopher traps with my moped when I was about 14, a mile from home, and a bee got in my helmet and stung me. I couldn't get the stinger out and had to ride home (after checking the rest of the traps) and had to ride home at 30 mph before I could get the stinger out. My eyes swelled almost all the way shut, but I was fine after the next day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bee

My worst ever was about 20 years ago....HUMMINGBIRD into right cheek at 65MPH. Now, I aint what you'd call a small guy at 6'5" and 260, but that little dude nearly knocked me unconcious! The carcass ended up between my cheek and helmet liner, so although I didn't see it coming, I definitely AM sure of what it was that hit me! EEEWWW!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I keep a product called "AFter Bite" in my trunk for just that type of thing. Lucky me I have gotten stung many times. After Bite is shaped like a highlighter pen and contains a mixture of ammonia and mink oil. The bee venom is acidic and is easily nutralized by the ammonia. The mink oil helpd it stay on the wound site. I get the After Bite at Walgreens. As a teenager we always had a bottle of Little Bo Peep ammonia and a old washcloth in the garage. When you got stung you wet the wascloth and just held it on the wound site. As a beat cop I always carried a After Bite and used it at least twice a year for myself or partners. You still need to get the stinger out if one is left behind but you will be amazed how quickley the ammonia works. So far I havent had one in my helmet but once actually got stung on the inside of my mouth when one crawled in my pop can. I could not use the after bite on that one so I just sucked on ice all morning.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My father had a similar problem years ago when I was a teen. We had gone for a family country drive in the RV, nice day, windows done type of day, when this bee flew in the window, landed right on dads lap, well zipper to be exact. . . He didn't really think, just reached out and snacked the bee. . . needless to say, the bee didn't HAVE to sting dad, he kind of stung himself! lol Never will forget THAT day ![/QUOTE]

That's what you would say put the real meaning to a ball buster. Right?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
While I have never had the displeasure of being stung while riding, a riding aquaintance got nailed last year.

We were rolling down some county road, with Sunflower fields on either side of us......prime bee country.

Anyway, he is wearing shorts......had one go up the leg of his shorts, and start crawling around down around the twins....think he got stung too.

He came screeching to a stop, and had his drawers down around his knees within seconds......glad nobody came along and saw him exposed for all the world to see !!

·
Registered
654 Posts
been there, done that.

Returning from DC a few month ago I saw a wasp clip the windscreen on the bike. Shortly thereafter, I saw the little bugger walking around on the inside edge of my helmet. Thankfully I was able to swipe him out before he started going deeper into the helmet and I kept riding home.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Never personally been stung while on the bike, however a friend was not so fortunate. Last year he was riding in the late afternoon down a country road when a wasp lodged between his helmet and his head. In his haste to try and remove his helmet and stop the stinging he lost control of his scoot, went down over an embankment and through a fence before coming to rest in a field. A passer-by saw the incident, stopped and came to his rescue, helping him get his bike back up on the road and provide him some assistance. Fortunately, neither he nor his bike were seriously hurt. It cracked me up the way he replayed this incident, but I am certain there was no humor to be found at the time.

·
Registered
999 Posts
BEE thankful, a bee only stings once. Now a Yellow Jacket, that's a stinging machine.

I've been keeping bees a couple of years now. Been stung a hundred times and I still hate it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My team had a parade detail early one Sunday morning. We were standing in the middle of the street nursing our cups of DD coffee when one of the guys suddenly drops his cup, starts screaming, opens his pants and drops them to the ground. A bee had crawled up the inside of his pants and was stinging him in the upper part of his leg on the inner thigh. His day was ruined but we all had a great laugh.

·
Registered
366 Posts
BEE thankful, a bee only stings once. Now a Yellow Jacket, that's a stinging machine.

I had a yellow jacket get inside my T-shirt once. He stung me 7 times across my chest. Had to get the benadryl out for that one.
Also had a wasp or yellow jacket hit me right at the crack where the helmet meets the head. He went right into the helmet and stung me on the way in. I was going about 65 at the time and got stopped in record time and whipped the helmet off. Luckily he only stung me once. He may have been stunned by the impact.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Had a wasp get into my helmet a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately the impact with my face and slightly opened shield stunned it. Just when I was sure he was dead I noticed him crawling up the chin bar...then the real excitement started...no sting just a wee bit of panic:eek:4:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Years ago when I was riding my old Yamaha Venture down Skyline Drive I had a wasp fly close to my full face helmet. It was hot and I was riding with my face shield open. I think to myself, man that was close. I close my face shield. As I'm riding I think I think I can hear some buzzing. Suddenly the wasp pops out and is flying in my face. The wasp had been trapped in my helmet. I instinctively start swatting at my face and nearly drive off the road. I'm resigned to the fact that this wasp is going to sting me in the eye. My face shield is not quite closed and thank God this wasp flies out through the opening. I pulled off as soon as possible and caught my breath/calmed down. Hard to believe the things that could end your life.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts