GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be the last one of the season, but it'll be a doozy!

Vancouver-area, British Columbia to TIJUANA, Mexico, and BACK

in 72 hours or less.

Will be getting some rest the night of Labor Day, getting up at around 3 AM on the 7th, then pointing the bike south.

Will get to the LA area just after midnight on the 8th, sleep for 5 or so hours, then head for the Otay Mesa border crossing in Tijuana. There's an am/pm gas station/convenience market marketing PEMEX gasoline just a short distance from the border crossing.

Will turn-around and head back up the coast to San Luis Obispo for the night. Get a good night's sleep, then head back up Hwy 101 to SF.

I'll try to get a glam shot of the bike there at the north-side vista point for the Golden Gate Bridge, then head back over to I-5 for the remainder of the ride.

Wish me luck, folks!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Best wishes and keep the rubber on the road. Good Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I know that ya don't need any advice so I will say "good Luck" and "may the wind be at your back".:p

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
" ...and may the wind at your back never be your own!" :22yikes:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Canada (Langley, B.C.to be precise). Resting-up for tomorrow's ride before going and getting some a few last-minute supplies.... and, if I can find one (since it is a holiday), a British Columbia/Canada-themed key-chain to add to the key ring.

(Every state that I ride in, now province, I try to get a patch and a 'state/province'-type key chain to add to the ring. Sort of a good-luck charm, and a way to remind myself of the adventures ridden)

UPDATE: No joy on the keychain hunt. Did have a bit of a panic when I heard a "pop" as a cage passed-by on the surface street. Checked my tires just in case, but no aneurisms (sp?) and still holding pressure.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sat down in the lobby for a late 'motel brekkie' (coffee and juice). Of the three families (a woman with her two children, a young man and his wife -- and their grandfather, and myself by myself), all three are US citizens, all three are of military families: USAF and USMC (me), US Army (the man and his wife), and USAF (the woman..whose husband is active duty USAF)

Kinda funny to have three sets of US citizens in this one, pretty empty otherwise, Travelodge....and all having some connection to the U.S. military.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reporting from Sacratomato (LOL), CA

Left BC about 3:45 this AM. Am taking a second rest break. Temps have been in the high 90s/low 100s since noon'ish, so I needed to get out of thee jacket and helmet while traffic winds down here on the south side of Sacramento.

Was running a little ahead of schedule, so will eat that time to rest, cool down, and get horizontal.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Reporting from Sacratomato (LOL), CA

Left BC about 3:45 this AM. Am taking a second rest break. Temps have been in the high 90s/low 100s since noon'ish, so I needed to get out of thee jacket and helmet while traffic winds down here on the south side of Sacramento.

Was running a little ahead of schedule, so will eat that time to rest, cool down, and get horizontal.
I had those temps when I left Oceanside three weeks ago and hit 110 in Quartzsite. Drink lots of water. I'm enjoying my grandsons in Wisconsin. Head out tomorrow for the UP Michigan then down to PA for Flight 93 memorial service. Then up to NH and ME.
Praying for you. My son got out of the Marines @ 3 yrs ago. Thanks for serving. Ride safe, go girl!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Kris.just passed though here.She needed a low beam bulb. I tossed in two for her and now she has a spare.about a 15 minute rest stop,and back on the road..lol

Good luck Kris and be safe on the rest of your trip.:bow:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In San Luis Obispo (1/2 way between LA and SF, on Highway 101) for the night.

Long hot day. Still caught traffic in LA (405), so long slog from Culver City area to San Fernando Valley.

Slapped a little bacon grease on the fat girl, and did some lane splitting when I felt that I could. Was jealous of the sporty riders who could finagle their way between cars. But, if I were riding a sporty, I realized quickly, I wouldn't be riding in LA on a Iron Butt! LOL

Thanks, again, to a 'good guy' (you know who you are!)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

UPDATE:

Safe in Vancouver, BC. Made it here with 3 hours to spare (69 hours +/- a couple).

Now comes putting the paperwork together, and sending the check in to IBA for the certification review.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
UPDATE:

Safe in Vancouver, BC. Made it here with 3 hours to spare (69 hours +/- a couple).

Now comes putting the paperwork together, and sending the check in to IBA for the certification review.

Now that rates a great big
WAY TO GO!:bow:

Now get some more well earned sleep. :p

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that rates a great big
WAY TO GO!:bow:

Now get some more well earned sleep. :p

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sleep? Sleep? What is this "sleep"?

I did get a chance, on the way back up the coast, to ride by the neighborhood that my family lived in when I was little (ages 5 - 12).

Parked for a few moments and stared at the house we had lived in -- having moved there the day after Dad had retired from the Air Force -- with a sense of nostalgia, and then rode the block+half to the elementary school I attended.

The kids were just getting out.

I looked at them, shook my head, and marvelled that I had once looked like that (generally), and it been me -- so many years ago (I recall one day when the teacher took us out to the play field, and showed us how long the future [Boeing] SST was going to be -- which dates this period of time) -- clutching my books and walking home after school. That, or riding my hand-me-down Schwinn Sting-Ray bike (each "owner" gave it its own paint color -- so that when a scratch in the paint happened, there were several colors exposed.)

I stayed overnight in San Luis Obispo, CA -- where I went to college. Got in about 7:45 PM, and went out to get some dinner after I checked into the hotel.

Freshman orientation starts next week, but students had (apparently) started to drift back to town. In the restaurant (buffet style), I sat near a group of 5 or 6 students.

Once again, I marvelled that it had been that long: Jimmy Carter hadn't won the Presidential election, yet, since I had arrived for freshman orientation week.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2976 miles of Insanity...or across Vancouver, BC -- the hard way

Day 1:

Langley to Los Angeles: http://g.co/maps/4sjhr 0400 Tuesday to 0045 Wednesday.
1282 miles

Day 2:

Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo: http://g.co/maps/94a8s 0729 to 1945 Wednesday
503 miles

Day 3:

San Luis Obispo to Vancouver: http://g.co/maps/59n9g 0345 Thursday to 0035 Friday
1176 miles

It's actually a bit longer than that. Google maps doesn't like 'shortening' the link when the 'normal' link has too many waypoints/stops.

UPDATE:

The paperwork is complete (transcribed chicken-scratches from on-the-road log to 'readable', maps, check, etc.), and going to IBA today

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paperwork at IBA

Sorry that I haven't done a ride report... silliness at work is stressing me out. Something about "the second round of layoffs here in the office, which will result in a net reduction of 18.2% of the staff, since Jan '11"

But, I've got a sticker for my QuickTank ready -- the paperwork arrived at IBA's PO Box this morning!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts