GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been spending a lot of time with the wing on my vacation and two observations came up that I thought I'd ask you guys about for some insight:

1) when shutting the bike off (in neutral) with the off knob, the bike would not shut off, but rather would shut the engine off while remaining on "on" and giving four (maybe 5?) fast beeps. Another turn shuts the bike off. It only did this a few times, and I think it was because the bike was moving ever so slightly when I was shutting it off, but that is just my speculation.

2) I was using the reverse feature (I have a manual), and after I was done backing up a bit (on a slight incline) it would not go out of reverse. I turned the bike off and on, and if I remember right it either went back to neutral. I also may have rocked it a bit back which maybe helped? Anyway it went back to neutral, but I am wondering if anyone here has had issues with being locked in reverse.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
1) when shutting the bike off (in neutral) with the off knob, the bike would not shut off, but rather would shut the engine off while remaining on "on" and giving four (maybe 5?) fast beeps. Another turn shuts the bike off. It only did this a few times, and I think it was because the bike was moving ever so slightly when I was shutting it off, but that is just my speculation.
There have been posts about owners coming out to a dead battery if they shut their bike off when NOT fully stopped. A search of the forum may provide you answers. Easy way to prevent that is to put the side stand down and lean the bike on it before turning the knob, but that's just me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been posts about owners coming out to a dead battery if they shut their bike off when NOT fully stopped. A search of the forum may provide you answers. Easy way to prevent that is to put the side stand down and lean the bike on it before turning the knob, but that's just me.
great tip! ill do that

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been spending a lot of time with the wing on my vacation and two observations came up that I thought I'd ask you guys about for some insight:

Yes, if the rear wheel is turning when its turned off, it will do as you have described.:smile2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
No wonder. I almost always center-stand my bike when I park at work or at home. It does this to me sometimes. I'll pay more attention, but I pull in, jump off, stick it on the center stand and then shut it off. Hmmmm.
I'm going to pay really close attention.

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
471 Posts
.....Yes, if the rear wheel is turning when its turned off, it will do as you have described.....

Even a little rear wheel movement, such as on the center stand or on a sloped driveway, will not let the electronics power completely off, even though the engine has been stopped by turning the ignition switch to the left.
I believe Fred H. mentioned that this is some type of "safety feature while riding" to keep you from losing the headlights if you accidentally turn the switch off.
This is why some guys turn the knob twice to the left, just to make sure everything is off.

You can easily replicate this while parking the bike. Just let the bike move a bit while you try to turn the ignition off.
Jefro.

·
Registered
471 Posts
.....I was using the reverse feature (I have a manual), and after I was done backing up a bit (on a slight incline) it would not go out of reverse. I turned the bike off and on, and if I remember right it either went back to neutral. I also may have rocked it a bit back which maybe helped? Anyway it went back to neutral, but I am wondering if anyone here has had issues with being locked in reverse......
This seems to be rather common on the 6 speeds due to cable stretch, and can be fixed by proper reverse cable actuator adjustment.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips. I didn't know the reverse was cable-actuated, seems a bit archaic to me. I don't use reverse often, but when I do use it, i really need it. The locking out spooked me and I'll have to see if the problem persists, or if it was an isolated issue.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a DCT and have noticed similar problem and have been monitoring closely. This is what happens about 1 out of ten times:

Bring bike to a stop, put bike in neutral, turn ON / OFF knob to OFF. GPS screen goes blank but headlights remain ON. Turn ON / OFF knob to OFF a second time and headlights turn OFF.

Generally I turn the ON / OFF knob to OFF before putting the bike on the sidestand so it's possible the bike might have moved forward or aft slightly while turning OFF ?? I'll start putting the bike on the sidestand or holding the brake before turning it OFF to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
stop bike, push off button, side stand down, turn bars all the way to the left, rotate knob counter clockwise twice and listen for the beep.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've experimented with turning the bike off before moving it to the center stand. So far, it seems to have been the issue. I need more data points though. LOL

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have now confirmed, to my satisfaction, that this is in fact the case.
When I came home from work last night and pulled into the garage, I jumped off the bike and tossed it on the center stand like I always do, then turned the bike off. "Beep, beep, beep..." I shut the bike down and restarted it. Same thing. I pulled the emergency brake and then shut it down. No beeping. I put it on the side stand and shut it down. No beeping. Put it back on the center stand and turned it off...."beep, beep, beep..."
I am now thoroughly convinced that the back tire spinning is causing the bike to not shut completely off.
Yay!
BTW, is that bit of information anywhere in the manual? I've read much of it over time, but not every word. I'm just curious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts