GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from work today on a country highway in VA. A bee hit the windshield vent and "smacked" my left cheek bone...stinger first!!! It stuck! I wiped it off but by the time I got home, the left side of my face was swollen. I hate bees!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
ouch!

I had one fly into my face, and thought it bounced off the edge of my helmet and out. A few miles later I saw something moving around near my cheek bone. It was still alive, and inside my helmet. Luckily I was able to get him out before he stung me. Hope the swelling goes down and isn't too painful. I've only been stung once, and didn't like it. Something to be proud of... He'll never sting another person again.

:joke: Thanks for paying it forward!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was riding in Ohio back in the 90's when a swarm of bees flew into my windshield..they were all loaded down with honey.. no bites but what a mess..honey everywhere.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yep - there are many types of flying insects that can ruin your ride! A riding buddy who used to own a Harley told me that he once had some kind of beetle fly directly into his ear canal (being that his "Harley style" 1/2 helmet did not cover his ears!) and smacked into his ear drum. He said the pain was so excruciating that he almost crashed trying to get to the side of the road. He aimed for a grassy shoulder and rolled off the bike at about 5 mph in order to get into a fetal position, and pretty much stayed that way until the EMT crew could extract the bug from his ear canal. It came out in pieces . . . :cry:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
When the windshield vent first came out Oregon had a law that you needed eye protection. A bike windshield was OK. A rider was killed because he wore no eyeglass protectin due to having a bike windshield - with a vent. The bee went through the vent and into his eye killing him instantly. I don't have a vent because I'm so short I always got a face full of wind and stuff. When I did have a vent I sandwiched a piece of door screen inbetween the parts so it prevented bugs from flying through.

I was always amazed at how these bugs could fly backwards and still hit home.

One time a group was riding through farm country and passing a bee hive one lady with wind wings directed at her got stung in the crotch. It was quite funny to watch her run into the bush to drop her pants to get at it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Glad you're okay, relatively speaking.

I was comin home from a trip to Maine and our group was south of Kennebunkport, I think, and we were just starting out. I was hot with all the gear, so I was riding with my helmet's shield up for awhile to cool down.

Finally, I put the face shield down, and a yellow jacket came down with it... in the upper left corner of the shield. :shock:

I cussed a bit, pulled the bike over as quick I could and pulled my helmet off as gently and quickly as I could. I lucked out... this time.

Haven't been stung yet... But my time's comin, I'm sure.

Glad nothing worse happened to you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I did have a vent I sandwiched a piece of door screen inbetween the parts so it prevented bugs from flying through.

Thanks for the tip!!
I even have some screen material sitting about my shop.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hate bees too !

Just be glad your face swells up.

That means the poison is staying in that specific area of your body, not getting in your blood stream and down to your lungs and heart.

My first bike did not have a windshield of any kind, and a bee crawled up my pants leg and stung me.

To make a long story short, I found out the hard way that I am allergic to bee venom.:22yikes:

Dr. at the emergency room said it was a good thing my folks got me there when they did, had about 15 minutes left on this Earth.:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:
(Never saw my dad drive that fast before).

From then on, it was fairings and windshields for me!

Found out about 3 years ago, that I outgrew that allergy from bee venom.

Still HATE BEES THOUGH!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
This is why we carry Benedryl (sp?) everywhere we go; motorcycle, boat, atv, auto. You never know when some creature is going to nail you or an allergic reaction to some unknown chemical causes problems. I have never had an allergic reaction to anything.

A couple of years ago I awoke during the nightat a hotel itching something terrible. Within twenty minutes I broke out in hives and began having trouble breathing. It was then I decided to wake the wife and she quickly gave me two Benedryl tablets and we headed for the nearest ER. To this day I have no idea what caused the reaction and I've not had another attack since. ER doctor allowed that without the immediate meds I might have been in real trouble.

Be prepared.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep - there are many types of flying insects that can ruin your ride! A riding buddy who used to own a Harley told me that he once had some kind of beetle fly directly into his ear canal (being that his "Harley style" 1/2 helmet did not cover his ears!) and smacked into his ear drum. He said the pain was so excruciating that he almost crashed trying to get to the side of the road. He aimed for a grassy shoulder and rolled off the bike at about 5 mph in order to get into a fetal position, and pretty much stayed that way until the EMT crew could extract the bug from his ear canal. It came out in pieces . . . :cry:
EMT should have just poured water in to the ear canal. Bugs float and don't swim - I think.

This happend to a friend of mine when I was a kid and the water option worked - at least in that case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Earlier this year we were riding from Mt. Vernon, Ohio to Covington, Ohio. We were riding on US36 when something hit me on the side of the head and stuck between the helmet and my head. We stopped at I 71 and I took my gloved finger and reached into the area as i felt something there and hooked out a bumblebee (on of them 4 engine jobbed ones) about the size of my thumb and flipped hit to the ground. Didn't seem too upset as it didn't sting me. Think I was lucky that day.:eek:4:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Many years ago, a big bumble bee hit me in the lower lip I was doing about 60 and I don't know what the bee was doing. Anyway, it knocked my 2 lower teeth loose, smashed my lip, and stung me to boot. That is when I found out I was allergic to be stings. Very bad day.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
633 Posts
:eek:4: On my Saturday ride I had a yellow-jacket hit my nose. I don't know how he got around the windshield, but BAM there he was. Of course I immediately pulled over and that sucker was in my left nose nostril. Fortunately, he was dead from the impact, but I had a little trouble getting him out of my nose. Had to snort him out. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Last year I caught one the same way in the throat leaving the Grand Canyon. That really sucked to say the least.
Kurt :nojoke:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Many years ago, a fellow Letter Carrier had a hornet crawl up is leg, inside his shorts. He had a hard time explaining to the Supervisor why he was undressing on this ladies front porch. :lol::lol::lol:

It took a long time before we stopped buzzing ever time we walked by him.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I did have a vent I sandwiched a piece of door screen inbetween the parts so it prevented bugs from flying through.
I second this suggestion. I had a piece of door screen in my '95 vent, put it there after having a stunned wasp come through the vent and land in my lap in Seattle. The plastic screen works great, it can be a little easier to manipulate than the aluminum screen and is just as effective. I don't have it in my '09 yet, but since we bought that bike the weather has been so hot in Texas that you couldn't ride with the vent open anyway. It it ever cools off, I will be installing the screen before I use the vent.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When one gets inside your shirt, you will find out just how quickly that the bike can 'bee' stopped!! Ask how I know.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I learned the hard way to look at the inside of my helmet before putting it on my head. Stopped for a break one time and a yellow jacket decided he liked the shade of my helmet, got me right on top of the head when I put it on.

Also this summer, I laid the helmet on the ground as I suited up for ride home from work. About 15 miles from work on the super slab, I feel something crawling around my left ear, then the sensation stopped. More miles later, I feel it again,only on the right ear this time. I found a place to stop,yanked off the lid and found an ant in the liner.

CHECK the Helmet before Installation!!!!!!!!:lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts