GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between Rotella T 15w40 and Regular Rotella 15w40. Kept seeing this on the board. Wanted to know before I go to WW. This is Dino right. Thanks:shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The T is the newer improved, JASO certified formula. They took out a little ash but it has been used by many for millions of miles. Stop overthinking it and find what you like and go with it. Both are dino. I don't think you can even find the old formula round here. The T synthetic is also JASO certified, but is in the 5W-40 variety and some just can't get over that.

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I don't know, Rotella-T has been around since before motorcycle standards were ever even thought of. I was using Shell Rotella-T back in 1989 in the diesel truck in 15w40. Rotella and Rotella-T is exactly the same. I suppose just some verbage leaves out the T part, but it works fine either way as there is no difference. Of course standards have changed over the years. Back in 1989 we were in the SG whatever and now SM whatever. Different additives, but it's been known as Rotella-T or just Rotella interchangably for all these years.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it me , I had the first 2 oil changes at the dealer. Cost was $45 each time. Yesterday I did my own oil change. Total cost was $17. Rotella and filter from WW. By using the 15w40 Rotella. It seems as if the wing shifts smoother, Or is it me. LOL. :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Shell Rotella

Is it me , I had the first 2 oil changes at the dealer. Cost was $45 each time. Yesterday I did my own oil change. Total cost was $17. Rotella and filter from WW. By using the 15w40 Rotella. It seems as if the wing shifts smoother, Or is it me. LOL. :thumbup:
:agree:It ain't you....My results were exactly the same.
I have tried several different oils in the wing and the 15w-40 Rotella is what seems to make the transmission shift the best.

·
Registered
811 Posts
:agree:It ain't you....My results were exactly the same.
I have tried several different oils in the wing and the 15w-40 Rotella is what seems to make the transmission shift the best.
:agree:
Me too ! I use the Rotella T 15w-40, and OEM filter. I change both at 3 - 4,000 mile intervals. I also find the difference in shifting is much smoother than with the Honda GN4 oil. It is more efficient to do my own changes, plus I save a few bucks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be changing my oil for now on. It was FUN. LOL. "One Thing". I forgot to put the crush washer back on. Will go on next time.:excited:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good Oil, Good Price at wally world pick it up when its on sale.:agree:

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I'll say it too. I started out using the Rotella 15W-40 in my sport bikes and was pleased with how smooth they shifted. When I got the wing I continued to use it. Then they came out with the T6 full synthetic, 5W-40. I tried it for two oil changes to make sure I wasn't imagining things, the bike didn't feel as smooth and definitely shifted harded and clunkier. I switched back to the 15W-40 and the smoooooth is back. I also use it in my F-350 turbo diesel.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts