GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also, "Things I wish I new before I drove big bird".

Bought some Shinhopples cleaner/polish for the wheels. After four applications on the right side rear, I gave up and did the front wheel with better results. Never saw diapers look so black. Another rookie mistake for someone who has been away from MC for 35+ years.

If I new the problems wheel cleaning can be, at least in Northern states, I'd have treated the wheels before leaving SC last November. My bad for letting them go so long. Another 30 push-ups. I can see how some owners have their wheels sent out for chrome, etc. Once we settle in SW Utah, I'll probably do the same. No salt out there.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
One of the things I'm glad I did when I picked up my new Wing was to trailer it home. I did that because it was weekend and I hadn't transferred my insurance over to the new baby.
It turned out to be a good move as I spent an hour checking things over because I wouldn't take it on the road without insurance and found the oil level too low (it needed almost 2 litres), tire pressures were down to 10psi front and 15psi back.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
found the oil level too low (it needed almost 2 litres), tire pressures were down to 10psi front and 15psi back.

What a great reason to make a 360 right back to your dealer you bought it from and raise hell.

These no excuse for delivering a ride like that and make sure they know it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Also, "Things I wish I new before I drove big bird".

Bought some Shinhopples cleaner/polish for the wheels. After four applications on the right side rear, I gave up and did the front wheel with better results. Never saw diapers look so black. Another rookie mistake for someone who has been away from MC for 35+ years.

If I new the problems wheel cleaning can be, at least in Northern states, I'd have treated the wheels before leaving SC last November. My bad for letting them go so long. Another 30 push-ups. I can see how some owners have their wheels sent out for chrome, etc. Once we settle in SW Utah, I'll probably do the same. No salt out there.
Maybe no salt but they do use some kind of road treatment which is red in color when they get snow. I've seen many vehicles around the St. George area after they get an infrequent snowfall and the sides of the cars and trucks have a reddish/brown color to it. So it certainly can't be good for the wheels on the GL either. Maybe they pull that red mixture from the surrounding hills?

·
Registered
728 Posts
What a great reason to make a 360 right back to your dealer you bought it from and raise hell.

Dude, if you do a 360 you'll be facing the same direction...Try a 180 and that'll get you turned around to head back to the dealer...:joke:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Now THAT IS FUNNY!

Do a 360 and head back to the dealer? I JUST SNORTED COKE UP MY NOSE! YOU DA MAN! I will make sure NOT to follow you! hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
271 Posts
On pick-up night., it wa sdark and cold. I thought the darn thing didn't have any brakes!

It was probably coating on the new rotors, bacause all was fine two days later. ...but I would have liked to have know that!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My advice would be before you leave the dealership, double check the registration paperwork and make they got your ADDRESS AND NAME SPELLED CORRECT on the title application (don't ask).
Do you know a fella by the name of Fred Harman ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts