GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the side vents fresh air only or are they picking up heat from the engine?

I am looking not to add heat when riding.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Side vents

The side vents are designed to be fresh air but they do pick up engine heat. I keep mine closed year 'round because the amount of engine heat coming thru in the winter doesn't offset the amount of cold air coming thru and in the summer, I don't want the extra heat either.
Jim

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
In theroy they were meant to allow the warm enging heat to flow through them that enters from the front.But not much if any heat/air flows through them.

You can leave them closed if you like.it doesn'ty effect a thing on the bike.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They make a good conversation piece for me. A lot of friends who don't ride ask me what the vents are. I like seeing their faces when I tell them the vents are for A/C.

:p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
They make a good conversation piece for me. A lot of friends who don't ride ask me what the vents are. I like seeing their faces when I tell them the vents are for A/C.

:p

shhhhhhh!! My freinds think they are a/c vents too :lol:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I think a part of that design was to prevent a low pressure cell behind the fairing which would cause exhausted radiator heat to be sucked around the corner and into that area where your shins are. It doesn't require alot of air movement to equalize the pressures (similar to what the wind shield vent did for the later model Wings).

I plugged my duct off and did away with the vent...only to re-open the duct and re-route it for pressure equalization later.

YMMV

Z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts