GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is no better than a bike that has been set up with Progressive or RaceTech Springs front and rear and Preloaded for your weight, Anti Dive Disabled and swap out 4 or so ounces of the fluid for thicker weight.

Now you ask why am I saying this?

4 or so years ago I bought into the Hype about Traxxion, I knew better myself. I had used Racetech Products to set up Race Bikes for years and new what to do to correct the Wings Shortcomings to how I ride it. Now don't get me wrong, the factory Suspension will and does work wonderfully for many folks and that is cool!

So one day I decided to splurge, called my Buddy and Fellow Member here Galute, and told him I was headed to Georgia to hang out with WimpyHonda, Tenn Charlie and do a Traxxion Job. As Galute shattered my plans with his comment of "Don't waste your money Rick". He went on to explain how he wished he had never spent a Dime with them and wished he had his old suspension back off of another Buddy's of his and mines bike, back on his. He had simply dropped in a set of Progressive Front Springs, took out four ounces of fluid for four ounces of thicker fluid, pre loaded the springs with a spacer for his weight. Put a Progressive Spring on the rear shock, filled up the actuator and preloaded it also with a spacer. Rode the bike for awhile and he made the same mistake I made by opting for Traxxion. He then put the Progressive Equipment on Gail's Bike and had learned at that time that 99,999 out of 100,000 Goldwing Riders could not tell you the Difference.

So we skip ahead a few months. I stupidly go on ahead with my plans on Traxxion. Little did I know at the time WHAT A STUPID MISTAKE THAT WAS! I should have listened to my Friend Galute. Traxxion did a good job, it helped the bike immensely. BUT and a BIG BIG BUT, no where did it do any better of a job than that system that Galute had first put in his bike using Progressive Parts. And how did I not listen to Galute?? I ask myself that every time I set up Goldwing with either RaceTech or Progressive Suspension Parts in my Shop for other Goldwing Riders and Trike Riders!

I am jumping ahead of myself here, so I go to WimpyHondas and hang out, got to Traxxion and get the Full Monty, even Wimpyhonda told me I was wasting my money, and he is a Retired Honda Mechanic and had worked for Honda for years and years! Hmmmmmm?? I am telling off that I did one BIG ASS mistake here huh? I should have typed this experience years ago when it was transpiring, to save some guys some money and headaches with Traxxion.

I am still jumping ahead of myself. So I get a call from Galute about four months later, he and few other Board Members here take off for Alaska, well Gail, one of the members gets sick and needs his bike brought back to Oklahoma. I fly up and ride his Wing back from Alaska, and this is when I found out how nice Gail's bike rode, handled etc etc. I remembered Galute telling me he put his old Progressive Stuff on Gail's bike, so there I was headed down the Alaska Highway on a bike all the way to Oklahoma and was both pissed and happy. Now why pissed and happy at the same time? Well it was realizing I had wasted $2500 on my Wing when I could have spent $300 and had 99% of the same Suspension on my Wing. I was riding Gail's with the Progressive set up and had I just took the time and went by Gail's house on the way to WimpyHondas and rode his Wing in the Twisties of Arkansas, I would have never installed the Traxxion, I would have just went and hung out with WimpyHonda and rode the fine roads of Tenn, Georgia and Kentucky like we did and been Richer for it.

And one last thing, my rear Traxxion lasted Two Years, blew out and had to be rebuilt at my expense. Listen up here guys, don't WASTE YOUR MONEY on Traxxion, either Call Galute and have him explain how to set up your bike, or call me. It is a Simple Process using either Racetech or Progressive Springs and again I state, not 99,999 out of 100,000 can tell the difference. I should have taken my Wing back and had Traxxion put mine back to stock, but all the hassle and I am not that way to pay then try to back out. I did enjoy it, but will never do another one, as a matter of fact I have another Wing and in all reality there is no discernible difference. Thanks Galute for the info years ago, and I wished I had listened. See ya, Rick

So all you Traxxion Lovers, have at it!!

One thing I did learn at Traxxion the day I was there, most Wings leave there undersprung. They ask you your weight and if you carry a Passenger or Trailer, they do not add in any of the Accessories you have installed. Like I stated, I have set up Race Bikes and know that every ounce counts. I weighed every piece of add on anything that I had installed, from the CB, CB Antenna to the Butler Mug and I mean everything and it Totally Surprised me how much weight we strap on these Bikes. So when I was asked how I rode, be it with a Passenger and or Trailer and I responded I wanted the Heaviest Springs you have, mark me down as 500lbs and a Passenger and Trailer and I got a look of bewilderment! LOL But I got what I wanted, a set up that was way heavier than they would have installed and it worked for me.

And I know your sitting in Pennsylvania reading this Galute, and laughing! Oh had I only listened to you, had I only just built it myself! See ya Soon!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Rick, You DO KNOW that you did not have to select the highest option that Traxxion sells didnt you? They also sell just the heavier Traxxion fork springs, the heavier Traxxion rear springs, metal line to the actuator and will even let you use a Honda take-off rear shock. Similar to what you get from Progessive, ect. and about the same price. Im not sure it is fair to throw Traxxion under the bus because you chose the most expensive option available. I did not choose the full Monty and I am completely happy with my much cheaper Traxxion system. You can also order the springs ..just like progressive and install them yourself. Others are completely happy with the Full Monty, I didnt want to spend that much but wanted my suspension rebuilt.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick, You DO KNOW that you did not have to select the highest option that Traxxion sells didnt you? They also sell just the heavier Traxxion fork springs, the heavier Traxxion rear springs, metal line to the actuator and will even let you use a Honda take-off rear shock. Similar to what you get from Progessive, ect. and about the same price. Im not sure it is fair to throw Traxxion under the bus because you chose the most expensive option available. I did not choose the full Monty and I am completely happy with my much cheaper Traxxion system. You can also order the springs ..just like progressive and install them yourself. Others are completely happy with the Full Monty, I didnt want to spend that much but wanted my suspension rebuilt.

I started this Thread, not about the Money I spent, but to save guys from making the same mistake I made by not listening to others that have walked the path before me. It is not about my Money, I could write a Check and Buy Traxxion if it were for sale. It is not tossing Traxxion under the Bus, but just my experience and to save some fellow Rider his money that would be better put to use elsewhere. Oh and there was no mention from anyone at Traxxion about more economical packages!

This is all I will type to defend my post. It is what it is. Take the Advice or Toss it out with the Bath Water! I am going riding.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I thought I saw a post from the board sponsor that you should not be using this board to diss other vendors. Now I don't agree with that because how would you now what vendors/dealers to avoid. Just want to level the playing field.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, and I won't argue that you can't achieve similar results using other methods. However, the nice thing about the Traxxion system is that is a complete system with damper cartridges in both fork legs that have the compression and rebound damping rates properly dialed in to precisely match the Traxxion spring rates. This takes out all the guess work trying to figure out the right amount of pre-load you need on the springs, fork oil viscosity rates and fork oil level adjustments. You can spend a lifetime trying to properly "dial in" a suspension. All the work has been done for you on the Traxxion system. Also, the Traxxion system is the only one I know of that replaces the left damper rod fork with a more modern damper cartridge, like Honda should have put in it from the beginning (in my opinion).

Another item worth mentioning that I don't think anyone else makes, is the billet triple clamp Traxxion now makes. You would be amazed how much of an improvement just this one item makes on the responsiveness and stability of the bike.

I understand that the Traxxion system costs more than some of the other alternatives out there, and you'll have to make your own decision whether it is worth it to you or not. One way you can save some money on it, is to just buy the parts do the install yourself, and if you are planing to go the Race Tech or Progressive route, you're probably going to have to do those yourself anyway.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I started this Thread, not about the Money I spent, but to save guys from making the same mistake I made by not listening to others that have walked the path before me. It is not about my Money, I could write a Check and Buy Traxxion if it were for sale. It is not tossing Traxxion under the Bus, but just my experience and to save some fellow Rider his money that would be better put to use elsewhere. Oh and there was no mention from anyone at Traxxion about more economical packages!

This is all I will type to defend my post. It is what it is. Take the Advice or Toss it out with the Bath Water! I am going riding.

Im not attacking your post, but just wanted to let you know Traxxion also offers other options. I would put the Traxxion springs up against any other vendors spring (probably no better or no worse). I decided I did not want a PROGRESSIVE (type not brand) spring because I am heavy and my wife rides alot with me and I pull a trailer. I was concerned the the Progressive part of the spring (weaker) would not do me much good. I was afraid that the weight of the bike and me would use up the weaker portion (for softer ride) and leave me a shorter use, firmer ride. Im not an engineer, so I may be off base in that thinking. I dont know about the rear shock because I had them use a trike take-off instead (saved about $400). The Traxxion site shows all the different parts available, its like a menu, you can take what you want and leave the rest. I have some friends that went with the full monty and for the type of riding they do, I think they wasted a pile of money. They could have just upgraded the springs and forks and save alot. Now for you guys that scrub plastic on curves, I can see where the full monte with the cartridges may help. I cant speak from experience on that.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Did you ask for your bike to be returned to stock? If so, did Traxxion refuse? Or do you just like to bitch?

·
Registered
927 Posts
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, and I won't argue that you can't achieve similar results using other methods. However, the nice thing about the Traxxion system is that is a complete system with damper cartridges in both fork legs that have the compression and rebound damping rates properly dialed in to precisely match the Traxxion spring rates. This takes out all the guess work trying to figure out the right amount of pre-load you need on the springs, fork oil viscosity rates and fork oil level adjustments. You can spend a lifetime trying to properly "dial in" a suspension. All the work has been done for you on the Traxxion system. Also, the Traxxion system is the only one I know of that replaces the left damper rod fork with a more modern damper cartridge, like Honda should have put in it from the beginning (in my opinion).

Another item worth mentioning that I don't think anyone else makes, is the billet triple clamp Traxxion now makes. You would be amazed how much of an improvement just this one item makes on the responsiveness and stability of the bike.

I understand that the Traxxion system costs more than some of the other alternatives out there, and you'll have to make your own decision whether it is worth it to you or not. One way you can save some money on it, is to just buy the parts do the install yourself, and if you are planing to go the Race Tech or Progressive route, you're probably going to have to do those yourself anyway.
Generally I agree, with minor differences.

I think single rate springs, either Racetech or Traxxion, are significantly better than the dual rate Progressives, which use up most all of their soft rate in sag, putting you on a rate that's harder than the linear rate over even small bumps. The cost difference is minimal.

You don't have to do RaceTech work yourself, their are many qualified shops, and Racetech itself does the work at an excellent price, you just have to pull the forks and send them in. If you want, they'll pick the spring rate, preload, fork oil, etc., at the same cost. You do need to make some decisions about what additional modifications to include or not.

So Traxxion becomes a good, if pricy, solution for someone who wants a pro to make all the decisions.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Did you ask for your bike to be returned to stock? If so, did Traxxion refuse? Or do you just like to bitch?

I see you missed this part (in bold) :shrug:

And one last thing, my rear Traxxion lasted Two Years, blew out and had to be rebuilt at my expense. Listen up here guys, don't WASTE YOUR MONEY on Traxxion, either Call Galute and have him explain how to set up your bike, or call me. It is a Simple Process using either Racetech or Progressive Springs and again I state, not 99,999 out of 100,000 can tell the difference. I should have taken my Wing back and had Traxxion put mine back to stock, but all the hassle and I am not that way to pay then try to back out. I did enjoy it, but will never do another one, as a matter of fact I have another Wing and in all reality there is no discernible difference. Thanks Galute for the info years ago, and I wished I had listened. See ya, Rick

Fact is there have been others who has posted their opinion on Traxxion after they bought it.
Not everyone is all hunky dory about what they paid good money for.That's not my opinion it's theirs!

Why aren't they allowed to post their own Opinion,instead of you or anyone else accusing them of "Bitching"..:eek:4:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Well, there it is folks. RICK MAYS #1 suspension expert!
Don't "waste" your money on Traxxion!
Most Goldwings will be undersprung!
"I" can buy Traxxion if I wanted to!
And Nobody here is good enough to feel the difference!
That's obviously due to the fact he knows each and everyone of us.:roll:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I stopped and got a dozen donuts this morning, I have ate five of them.

May need an extra bit of spring by evening. Lol!

Now in all this suspension stuff, I have asked before, but what causes the lower fork tube to wear??

Good bushings, all tight, but when you take the fork apart to service them, there sits a lower fork tube with a ridge worn into it......eh??

Is that from going around corners too fast?? Or does dawdling cause that??

Just curious as I have to replace the lower left fork tube, has a big ridge worn into it.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Just my thoughts. I would not replace the OEM suspension when it is new, but I know that after 78,000 miles of hauling my big butt all over the country by OEM suspension was shot and components needed to be replaced. I went with TRAXXION and have been very pleased. It did not cost that much more than having it done by Honda and the result was greatly improved over the 78,000 mile suspension. I have been pleased.

·
Registered
791 Posts
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, and I won't argue that you can't achieve similar results using other methods. However, the nice thing about the Traxxion system is that is a complete system with damper cartridges in both fork legs that have the compression and rebound damping rates properly dialed in to precisely match the Traxxion spring rates. This takes out all the guess work trying to figure out the right amount of pre-load you need on the springs, fork oil viscosity rates and fork oil level adjustments. You can spend a lifetime trying to properly "dial in" a suspension. All the work has been done for you on the Traxxion system.
Your last statement might be true if all the variables, pre load, compression damping, and rebound damping were externally adjustable. Otherwise you are getting what someone else thinks is best for your riding style. The advantage of using Race Tech components is you can adjust them to your taste. The disadvantage of the Race Tech system is you have to take the forks apart to make many of the adjustments. Some are easy like changing pre load or oil weight. Some take more time, like changing valve shim stacks or emulator settings.

Pete

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Now in all this suspension stuff, I have asked before, but what causes the lower fork tube to wear??

Good bushings, all tight, but when you take the fork apart to service them, there sits a lower fork tube with a ridge worn into it......eh??

Just curious as I have to replace the lower left fork tube, has a big ridge worn into it.
Ruffles made your fork tube that way-don't cha know?.:thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Your last statement "All the work has been done for you on the Traxxion system." might be true if all the variables, pre load, compression damping, and rebound damping were externally adjustable. Otherwise you are getting what someone else thinks is best for your riding style. The advantage of using Race Tech components is you can adjust them to your taste. The disadvantage of the Race Tech system is you have to take the forks apart to make many of the adjustments. Some are easy like changing pre load or oil weight. Some take more time, like changing valve shim stacks or emulator settings.

Pete
It's weird. I choose RaceTech, and wind up defending Traxxion. Traxxion owners will usually be very happy with the improvement of the original setup provided to them, and have no need for changes, or even understand what the possibilities would be. For them, all the work has been done. Those of us who want to fiddle, don't buy Traxxion.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I think late hard breaking into the corners is the cause..
..the tube is trying to go up and down while it's flexed in the middle.

It is designed to go up and down with mostly just gravitational forces acting on it.
When you ask it to go up and down with additional inertial forces acting on it
(bent in the middle), it's going to wear groves on the inside.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
nothing new here..
..many of us have been saying the same thing for years.

look, for most, it is this simple:
..if you know you're going to run your truck overloaded most of the time,
you don't gut it and put fifty grand worth of NASCAR racing suspension under it..
.. you just put some bigger springs on it.

Dennis

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's weird. I choose RaceTech, and wind up defending Traxxion. Traxxion owners will usually be very happy with the improvement of the original setup provided to them, and have no need for changes, or even understand what the possibilities would be. For them, all the work has been done. Those of us who want to fiddle, don't buy Traxxion.
I'm not dissing Traxxion. They provide a service. Just the statement that what you receive will be ideal for you. It would be if could fine tune it yourself.

Pete

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
Your last statement might be true if all the variables, pre load, compression damping, and rebound damping were externally adjustable. Otherwise you are getting what someone else thinks is best for your riding style. The advantage of using Race Tech components is you can adjust them to your taste. The disadvantage of the Race Tech system is you have to take the forks apart to make many of the adjustments. Some are easy like changing pre load or oil weight. Some take more time, like changing valve shim stacks or emulator settings.

Pete
If you get the adjustable fork caps, the rebound damping and pre-load are externally adjustable. Though to tell you the truth, I've never needed to make one change to mine, as it was perfectly adjusted when I got the forks back from Traxxion.

I could say the same thing for the $1,200 Ohlins shock I got for my Concours. Though it has every possible adjustment on it, I didn't have to change a single thing on it. It was set up perfectly from the factory, so I just bolted it on and rode it. Was it expensive? You betcha, but it is the sweetest shock I've ever ridden on too. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.