GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install a Tulsa belly pan. Can anyone tell me if you can still lift the wing with a motorcycle jack or do you have to remove the pan first ?

Thanks in advance for your replys

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
I never remove the belly pan (Tulsa) when I lift the bike with my Sears jack.

I think you will get the same response from others as well.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have the Tulsa belly pan and a Craftsman lift. I have no problem and never did any damage. Put the rear jack pad under the centerstand pivot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have one of the earlier belly pans and lift the bike with belly pan installed. I think some of the newer styles with louvers could be damaged if left on the bike while lifting. I love my belly pan, amazing all the dent's from road debris!

·
Registered
258 Posts
belly pan

No you do not have to remove the Tulsa bellypan to live your Wing. Did it several times when a 2 wheeler and now doing the same since triking it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I dont remove the belly pan either.......although I use a home made lift....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replys

Thanks everyone for your replys. I'm learning alot from everyone here. I forget who's post it was but when I saw the picture of the coolent puddle in his garage it sure made me nervous. He had run over a piece of plywood and was lucky that the piece of wood that entered the overflow tank stayed in the punture hold. Leak showed on the garage floor the next morning. Not what I want to find when on a trip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just to give a contrary opinion, I *did* remove my belly pan when I lifted my bike.

But that was only before I knew better :nojoke:

Leave it on!

And last but most least, if you DO take it off, make sure that when you finally get the it off the lift, and you are SO DAMN EXCITED to get back on the bike and start riding that you MAKE SURE to either: 1. Torque down the bolts which would be holding the pan on or 2. Install the belly pan.

Do NOT say to yourself "I just want to go up and down the street. I'll re-install the belly pan later" and go riding off with loose bolts.

DAMHIK :twisted:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts