GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question - I have noticed my fans kick on more often than they used to, even before the summer heat wave. Sometimes the temperature gauge climbs a little, never in the red zone though, the fans kick on and do their job.

My question for those who may have experience with belly pans - does your engine seem to run hotter with them on ? My belly pan is the 2 piece, luvered type.

Thanks in advance. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
Dave

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
No difference whatsoever. I do not see where it should make any difference as the engine is not air cooled and is dependent upon the radiators for it's cooling. There have been claims of overheating from belly pans, but highly unlikely. My fans have been on more this summer also, but even the cooler days are hotter than normal. I would ride on....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Live in Houston and during the summer according to my handy dandy temperature gun my Goldwing runs about 10 to 15 degrees hotter with the belly pan on than off in the summer. Cooler weather there was no difference.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My question - I have noticed my fans kick on more often than they used to, even before the summer heat wave. Sometimes the temperature gauge climbs a little, never in the red zone though, the fans kick on and do their job.

My question for those who may have experience with belly pans - does your engine seem to run hotter with them on ? My belly pan is the 2 piece, luvered type.

Dave
The one I had on for about 2yrs, did the same thing. If I stopped at a red light for over 30 seconds the fans would come on when the ambient temps were in the 90s. I took it off and rode around in the same temps and the fans did not come on nearly as quick. I would have to sit for over a minute for them to come on.
I then made a belly pan out of diamond plate aluminum and bent the sides up so they went in between the header pipes and the engine block. This really cut down on the fans cycling. I can ride all day in 95deg heat and they might come on 2 or 3 times at the most.
Belly pans covering the headers trap heat and heats up the oil in the sump as well as the overflow tank.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I took mine off and rode for a couple of days and didnt notice any difference in the frequency of the on/off of the fan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Haven't noticed any difference in mine. Temp gauge is always in the same spot no matter the outside temperature. Fans may run more often now that I think about it...

·
Registered
471 Posts
No difference in temp or fan running. I did however hit something in the road the other day that made a loud bang when it hit the pan. Did it protect anything? I dont really know but I was glad it was there.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My question for those who may have experience with belly pans - does your engine seem to run hotter with them on ?

Dave[/QUOTE]

No.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts