GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread about belly pans got me curious (again) about just what they will do.

Stability in crosswinds? How much difference can this make?

Is that the only benefit?

I need enlightenment.

Pat

Brookfield, WI

·
Registered
939 Posts
The Tulsa belly pan is the first item I added to my 1800 when I got it home. I ordered it from Hal right after I purchased the bike. I can't speak for the effect it has in cross winds because I rode so little without it. My main reason for purchasing it is to protect the oilfilter and coolant reservior from getting punctured by road debris.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I rode for some time without the Tulsa pan while waiting for a backorder to fill, riding at least 1,500 miles on the new bike before it came in. I'd get the same sort of buffeting I was used to from semi-trucks and the like.

After putting the pan into place (easiest add-on installation I've encountered, BTW,) I noticed that the mild affect I would get from trucks had disappeared. More so, while riding through a rough dust storm in Idaho, winds that should have had me bouncing, had little affect at all.

When I add in the protection it provides for the radiator reserve, it comes down as the best addition to the bike I could make and I consider it a "no-brainer" at this point.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
When I first looked at the belly pan, I thought "I don't need no stinking belly pan". Last September, I kicked up a rock with the front tire. It ripped the oil filter in half, and dumped 4 quarts of Mobil-1 like right now! I'm lucky it was a straight stretch of road, because the back tire was covered in oil. had this happened on a bend, I might have gotten more intimate with the guard rail than I would like to be. Anyhow, I spent several hours stranded along the road until I could get somebody to pick me up, take me to Wal-mart where I bought a new filter and some oil, and had the pleasure of repairing the bike along the highway. If I had installed the Tulsa belly pan, it would have been just anothe nice Sunday ride. I can't verify either way if it affects cross wind stability, but it sure protects the onder side of the bike.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Pat-

Let me add some enlightenment.

I ran over a strap of metal with a bolt in the middle. I was on a freshly repaved blacktop highway at 1030 at night, going 50-55mph. I never saw it, the dirty metal blended in with the color of the pavement.

The front tire kicked it up, and the bolt lanced my oil filter. Instantly, the engine was laying down a strip of hot motor oil in front of my rear tire. This is not a good feeling. I was able to get the bike safely off the road and into the parking lot of a Honda car dealer...without losing control. I ended up dumping 2 quarts of oil, but the oil light never came on. Of course, I had changed the oil only 20 miles earlier.

I had to call for help, to get me back home so that I could grab a spare filter off of the shelf, and more oil. I replaced the filter in the parking lot, added more oil, and drove it back home very carefully.

I ended up with a bike that had its underside completely coated in oil. The rear tire and rim were drenched. The bike had oil spray (mist) all over the back end, even on the trunk lid. I had to take off many of the body panels, and clean the oil off behind them.

Later, I also discovered that my coolant overflow was also cracked from the strap. This whole incident cost me a trip to the Honda Homecoming... as well as scaring the crap out of me that night.

But I thought that these things never happen to me. Only happens to the other guy. Do I have a Tulsa belly pan on it now? You bet I do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the belly pan helps the crosswind problem great. My reason for buying it was to protect the underside of my motorcycle. Take a look underneath your bike, you'll be ordering one tomorrow.
Randy F.
'02 Silver GW

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Does the Tulsa belly pan interfeer with the use of a Sears type bike lift?

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Ted in ncal said:
Does the Tulsa belly pan interfeer with the use of a Sears type bike lift?
NO! You just end up with a few extra dents and creases in the belly pan. :(

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Some people like them and some dont.

I installed mine and it was very simple. I like the idea that I dont have to remove it to change the oil. I do not know if all of the others are like this. I ordered mine from Allen at Tulsa and when I encountered having the front section smashed. I gave them a call and only had to order the front half and have it sent out for under $20. Some people have brought up that it adds to the operating temp. of the engine. Since I have never had a digital readout of this on mine, I would say no. The needle never has went up because of this. It does offer protection for oil filter and collant reservoir and at the same time also to the actual block. I agree with others as I think it does help some form of assistance with crosswinds and when following a semi or something like that. Some others dont agree with this, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a belly pan. I lost a coolant tank and added one. If you look at the bottom of it it is obvious that it has safed a lot of abuse to the bike.

I'm not going to argue with those that claim cross wind stability. I'll just say I have over 120K mile on GL1800's, most with a belly pan. And if there is any improvement I can't notice it. Maybe I'm just not as in tune with my bike as the folks that can tell a difference.

I also only get about half of the life out of my cell phone battery than what most claim. But that is another issue. LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
White Wing said:
The thread about belly pans got me curious (again) about just what they will do.

Stability in crosswinds? How much difference can this make?

Is that the only benefit?

I need enlightenment.

Pat

Brookfield, WI
Pat,

I don't know about crosswinds (we don't get much wind down here), but the belly pan is worth it's weight in gold. I didn't think I'd need such a thing, but the second week of riding my new GL1800 I ripped the coolant resevour open on a speed bump in a restruant parking lot.

Since putting on the belly pan, I've hit several more of those nasty (narrow and high) speed bumps, with only few annoying scraping sounds to show for it.

HIGHLY recommended!

Ruben
Naples, FL

·
Registered
788 Posts
On a cross country trip from Savannah to Seattle last year, I picked up a crack in my oil filter and was blown all over the road from cross winds. I added the Tulsa Belly Pan and no more oil filter cracks and, best of all, no more being blown around by cross winds. The reduction of the cross wind effect was very dramatic. The Tulsa Belly Pan would be the last item that I would take off my GL1800. I’m 5’7” and I find that the belly pan really, really works for me in cross winds.

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
94,000 miles on 1800 with more than 1000 miles on gravel roads no belly pan no problem. The pan sure won't hurt, if you would feel better panned I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Like most of you, I put the Tulsa belly pan on to protect the coolant tank. I had read that it reduced wind buffeting, but that was not my reason for installing it. My bike had about 10K on it at the time of installation, and I noticed some pretty nasty scratches on the coolant tank already. On the first ride after installation, my wife mentioned that the bike seemed more stable in crosswinds and truck buffeting. She had no idea that the belly pan was supposed to help with this, so she had no preconceived ideas. to me, that was verification that it really works as advertised.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
The bottom of my present Tulsa BP looks as though it went through a metal re cycler. Pretty well gouged, nicked and bang. Still works great and no need for replacement just yet.

Wonder what would have happened had I not had a BP?

Best part is, I have never known that I ran over anything or that I was struck by something.

My best buddy Gary will attest to how much the overflow bottle costs and the aggravation it causes when you don't have a BP.

Bulldog

·
Registered
168 Posts
Custom Belly Pan

I know every one does not have the ability to get this kind of thing done but.... I went to a metal salvage yard and bought a small sheet of used stainless steel about 1/16 thick. Took it to a friend at a machine shop along with the dimensions of the Tulsa belly pan. He cut and bent and drilled me a pan from stainless. It is many times more durable than aluminum and installed just as easy. I dont see any nicks or dings in it. I can lift my bike with the lift and the stainless does not show any marks. I have had three wings and this is the first with belly pan. It does make a difference in crosswinds. I will not ride without one now.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just for laughs, I'll post too.
No Belly Pan.
No plans to add one.

But hey, if it helps that much in cross winds .... you might want to make one that sticks out even further and get airborne for FANTASTIC fuel mileage?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have seen and read enough. I just ordered one from Hal. The photo of the oil filter was all I needed.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
After my experience, which I detailed above. To those who think that they don't need one, I sincerely hope that you are right. I would not wish my experience off onto my worst enemy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This one topic alone proves the value of this board!

Hey, I wouldn't know that a BP was so helpful. I'm not that worried about cross winds -- but, with the unexpected trash on the road -- why take a chance? Really -- is $70 (or whatever it cost) gonna break the bank? I don't think so.

Sign me up! :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts