GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it was pouring rain all day, I decided to tackle installation of my new belly pan today. The directions said it would take 10 minutes. Right.

First off, the belly pan had stamped slots, so it wasn't the kind that could slip over the bottom cover screws. It had to be fitted over the screws, which meant both lower covers had to come completely off the screws.

That was no huge deal, but it took me a good 30 minutes to figure out how to loosen the lower covers without bending them.

Then another few minutes to get the belly pan lined up and fitted over the screws.

The real fun started when I found out how hard it is to get the nuts back on. The engine cover screws aren't all that long, and with the belly pan installed, re-installing the washers and nuts turned into a frustrating, 30 minute job.

The whole thing is done, but the easy 10-minute install was an hour-long fight.

So much for quick and easy to install!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Sounded like a 2 tall glass of tea and 3 cigs to me...

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
As important as I think the belly pan is, it's a really cuz'en match :cus:everytime I have to remove mine and I never look forward to it,
or reinstalling it....................:?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Pain in the BELLY?

Shoulda bought a pan from Tulsa. I bought three and put two of them on in less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
They all fit the same..I bought a stainless one from Wingstuff and it was a snap to install. The stainless steel seems better than aluminum...IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got the Tulsa one delivered last Friday from Hal. It took me less than 10 minutes to put it on. Just loosen the 2 nuts on both sides and pull the panels out a bit. Then the pan slides right in. Follow the instructions. It really was easy. And fast.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tulsa Is the Answer

I am really poor with a wrench, but that Tulsa Belly Pan was simple to install;).

I guess you can tell that I am happy with it. Easy installation and those dents could have done damage, but didn't:p

TC

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Tin Can , I met a nice couple from Rockwall at the Shed not so long ago . Was that you and tour SO ? I was on a candy red 08 . I had just put some color matched parts on .

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Tulsa is the original source for these and I can place mine in less than 10 minutes EZ. I wonder why your manufacturer did not run the slots all the way out to the edge of the metal so that you could just slide them onto the loosened side cover bolts between the "headers" and the inside of the covers?

prs

·
Registered
471 Posts
I put mine on and off every time I take it in for a checkup and taking it off is worse than puting it on. I have also lost one of the bottom screws that hold it together. It's been completely ripped off from somewhere. Thats why I always keep a very small and short self tapping alum screw screwed up in the bottom as a backup to hold the two pieces together.........

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Quick and easy is neither

·
Registered
110 Posts
Before or after installing the pan if you mark with a magic marker where the 2 pieces go together it makes it easier to line up after a oil change.
This don't help with the whole installation, but it helped me line up the 2nd piece after a oil and filter change. (tulsa bellypan)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I stood and watched Bartman do it. He was quick. From my vantage point it was easy. Cost me lunch I think and I like him enough to buy him lunch anyway. Don't feel bad, I was confused on how to do it at all...so taking longer and finding it harder than expected is relative!:yes1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts