GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the two-piece belly pan that Wing Stuff sells fit the 2012? I specifically asked when I ordered it and was assured it did, but the main belly section seems too wide for the mounting bolts (half inch or so). It's thin enough to bow to make it fit, but I would think that would defeat the streamlined airflow. Any ideas?

J.D.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i have the 03 and it did the same thing. had to slightly bow it to get it in properly

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just put mine on today! had to spring it a little but it fits fine. A small bow in it but it fits great. Thought I might have an issue with the front piece fitting but it went on perfectly.

Bob H

·
Registered
847 Posts
And today I have put on mine. Installed the louvered one. Took about 30 mins and I am NOT very mechanical. Sure wish I had a lift, or was about 50 lbs lighter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi folks, just for clarification, are any of these belly pan installs on a 2012 model? I called Wing Stuff again and Tom is adamant that it fits. I climbed under the bike again and for the life of me can't figure out how this fits. The side panels of the bike that the belly pan is supposed to fit under doesn't have holes drilled in it to remove the two nuts on each side. Each hole in the side panel is actually indented (like a small cup) with a hole drilled in it to let the bolt come through. I don't know how to remove or loosen the side panels to get the belly pan under it (it doesn't budge even with the nuts installed). I'm just about to give up... :shrug:

J.D.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I put one on a friends 12 Friday night. Fit fine. Installed identically to my 2010.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You remove the nuts using a socket wrench. Then gently pull the side panel out off of the bolts. It will move just enough for you to slide the edge of the belly pan between the side panel and the bolts so that the bolts go through the holes on the belly pan. Then just push the side panel back in onto the bolts and reattach the nuts. I did one side then the other. I then tightened the bolts all the way. Afterwards I attached the front piece by sliding the front into the front cowl the back attaches using the attached screws. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I don't know how to remove or loosen the side panels to get the belly pan under it (it doesn't budge even with the nuts installed). I'm just about to give up... :shrug:

J.D.

Good grief....... don't give up dude. It's a simple process, as described by Gary above. I'm not surprised you panels don't budge with the nuts installed... it shouldn't. REMOVE THEM. Pull the panel out some until the studs are out of the holes... this will take some force. It doesn't easily slide off the studs. Slide your belly pan between the studs and the panel you have pulled out some. It will fit fine.

Make sure you remove any protective plastic coating on the pan it may come with. Mine came with a slighly blue plastic protective shipping coating that fit so well I though that was just how it was... I put it on and engine heat subsequently showed me the stainless steel pan after some of the coating melted off... dang. Had to remove the pan and pull off the rest of this coating stuck to the steel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I appreciate the input. I'll get under the bike a third time and keep working it. The bolts seemed to have some type of locktite (green dry substance) on them. Hopefully it's not on the panels themselves. The panels wouldn't budge with the nuts off. Maybe a little gentle prying is in order. Thanks again...

J.D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts