GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
As usual, a great video. Your demonstration was just how I imagined it. One issue I have is I have the two-piece from Wing Stuff and it doesn't have slots going to the edge of the pan like the Tulsa pan. Mine just has holes. So I have to pull the side covers completely off the bolts to get it on. I'm going out right now to try again to get the side panels to pull away. I appreciate all your help and thanks again for posting the video so quickly...

J.D.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As usual, a great video. Your demonstration was just how I imagined it. One issue I have is I have the two-piece from Wing Stuff and it doesn't have slots going to the edge of the pan like the Tulsa pan. Mine just has holes. So I have to pull the side covers completely off the bolts to get it on. I'm going out right now to try again to get the side panels to pull away. I appreciate all your help and thanks again for posting the video so quickly...

J.D.
JD, if it were me, I would figure out a way to turn the holes into slots.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Turning the holes into slots with my Dremel Tool was plan B. Fortunately, Plan A worked this evening. I was able to pry the side covers off the bolts and get the belly pan on (finally - third attempt). Thinking about trying to install the Wig-Wag brake modulator again tomorrow. During the first attempt, I discovered the 2012 doesn't have the mounting strips covering the joint where the top and bottom trunk halves meet. The rear end is completely different as well (how do you remove the tail fin?) Well, I guess I'll see if I have the courage to attempt it in the morning. Thanks for all the help!

J.D.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I installed a belly pan as one of the first accessories on my GW1800. Believe it was the Tulsa brand one. Mine had the mounting holes, not the slots. I prefer the holes as (I believe) it lessens the chance of the pan falling down or off if the nuts become loose.

A little harder to install, but once you get the nuts off the studs, it really isn't that hard to slip the pan over the studs.

I like the Tulsa, but I doubt that I would order that one now as it comes with the slotted holes.

As for the claims of better gas mileage, reduce turbulence, cooler running, less felt heat, less crosswind effect, reduce hair loss, etc, didn't notice any of it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
This was also the very first mod I made to my bike. I installed the louvered one having read that it dissipated heat better and like the rider before I also have more confidence in the one with holes instead of slots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts