GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the installation of the Tulsa belly pan is easier as one piece, or should I take it apart and install it as two pieces? I went to Tulsa's website and they don't offer any info that I could find. Also, has anyone tried to paint one of these? Powdercoat? Just interested, it might look good. Thanx!

G

·
0 Posts
Did mine separated....seems like it would be kind of unwieldy to handle as one piece.

I just got the matched-paint lower side cowls and lower front cowl, so your question about painting the BP is interesting....I think it might not stand up too well to road debris (for that matter, my new lower cowls may not, either!)

Ron
:blw1: '03

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mark,
I tried doing it as a one piece once, when I took the front piece off for an oil change. It can be done, but you really have to bend and force it to fit. I'll stick to the two piece install, even though the dzus fasteners are a real :cus: to catch.
Their has got to be an easier way to attach the front section.
Take care, Eric

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do it in two.

As for the dzus fasteners, I found that if I slip a thin screwdriver up behind the dzus receiver on the main body and apply downward pressure toward the dzus screw head as I turn it (with a second screwdriver) that the little added pressure is enough to do the job and it goes together the first time, every time.

The flex in the main body is what seems to cause the dzus catch to miss the "ramps" inside the receiver.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The Dzus fasteners are one of those things that you have to learn to hold your tongue just right to get them to work.

I've taken pliers and collapsed the clips slightly. Seems to make them catch the stud (screw) easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts