GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just installed the stainless steel belly pan on my new '14. Getting it fitted on there was difficult, but I got it done.

I had an aluminum one on my '08, and I don't remember installing it being nearly so difficult.

There are two drain hoses coming down near the rear of the area that the pan covers. Can't remember what they're for, but there's a hole in the belly pan for them to pass through. These hoses are running through a metal guide which, I'm assuming, is there to keep them in place. There is some slack, but not enough for them to go through the hole in the belly pan without bending them enough to kink them at least a little bit. I'm not even sure they would stay there if I did pull them through, which I tried.

So, does it matter if these drain hoses just drain onto the top of the pan? Or should I remove the belly pan and try and drill a new hole in the proper location so that they actually drain onto the ground?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
One is the coolant recovery tank over flow and the other is the spill line from the fuel filler cap box. That metal retainer is to keep them away from the heat of the O2 sensor and exhaust. I lengthened mine to come through the pan. You would not want spilled fuel puddled on the pan. Be careful to not spill.

prs

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. And how did you go about lengthening them?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Both hoses tend to become brittle with time/use and can be replaced with rubber fuel line from auto parts store. If not brittle, the auto parts stores have male to male tubing fittings that push into the tube ends and you add a little onto them.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts