GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise on a Belley Pan. Which one has worked best with changing oil and also ease of removing.
2008 GL-1800

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was wondering the same thing so hopefully you get a lot of responses. I have a 2010 Wing.

Semper Paratus!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
All have the removable front part in the front which makes changing the oil easy - just 3 screws to take it off and the filter is exposed. I recommend the louvered model which seems to provide more ventilation.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I got the vented stainless steel model from Wingstuff, here:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/24485_gl1800_performance_stainless_2pc_belly_pan

(The picture on WingStuff makes it look like the pan is a dark grey color. It's not! It's a very bright and shiny stainless steel. Looks great.)

Great pan for a couple of reasons:

1. It's stainless steel, not aluminum, so it will protect from road debris much better.

2. It's 2-piece, so only the front piece needs to be removed for oil changes. Plus, the quick connectors on this one really work well. The are large and lock securely.

3. It's vented. Not a "cooling" issue for me, but an issue of being able to see if anything is leaking off the bottom of the engine. With the vents, a leak will become obvious much quiker than with a solid pan that holds in the leak much longer.

I'm really pleased with this belly pan. Very nice piece. The reviews on Wingstuff are all very positive. Some folks complained about the sharp edges during installation, but a quick pass on the edges with a metal file and that's a non-issue.

PS) Installation Note: I did have to make a small notch in the leading edge of the front (removable) piece. When you insert the leading edge of the removable piece on top of the lower front cowl on the bike, that edge might hit the bottom left-hand side of the large black cannister that is positioned there. On my bike the bottom of that cannister actually touches the lower front cowl, so I had to cut a notch in the belly pan leading edge so it would clear that cannister and slide foward all the way. This would be the same for any pan, since they all install in the same place.

Sorry for the long post, but if I'm gonna recommend something, I want to also cover any installation issues that may come up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the vented stainless steel model from Wingstuff, here:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/24485_gl1800_performance_stainless_2pc_belly_pan

(The picture on WingStuff makes it look like the pan is a dark grey color. It's not! It's a very bright and shiny stainless steel. Looks great.)

Great pan for a couple of reasons:

1. It's stainless steel, not aluminum, so it will protect from road debris much better.

2. It's 2-piece, so only the front piece needs to be removed for oil changes. Plus, the quick connectors on this one really work well. The are large and lock securely using just your fingers.

3. It's vented. Not a "cooling" issue for me, but an issue of being able to see if anything is leaking off the bottom of the engine. With the vents, a leak will become obvious much quiker than with a solid pan that holds in the leak much longer.

I'm really pleased with this belly pan. Very nice piece. The reviews on Wingstuff are all very positive. Some folks complained about the sharp edges during installation, but a quick pass on the edges with a metal file and that's a non-issue.

PS) Installation Note: I did have to make a small notch in the leading edge of the front (removable) piece. When you insert the leading edge of the removable piece on top of the lower front cowl on the bike, that edge might hit the bottom left-hand side of the large black cannister that is positioned there. On my bike the bottom of that cannister actually touches the lower front cowl, so I had to cut a notch in the belly pan leading edge so it would clear that cannister and slide foward all the way. This would be the same for any pan, since they all install in the same place.

Sorry for the long post, but if I'm gonna recommend something, I want to also cover any installation issues that may come up.

This sounds like the one I am looking for. The stainless is what I wanted and the vents. Thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
One correction:

The quick connectors do require a flat-blade screwdriver. Quarter of a turn and they are locked or unlocked.

I have a great memory, it's just a little short! :eek:4:

Sorry...

-

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One correction:

The quick connectors do require a flat-blade screwdriver. Quarter of a turn and they are locked or unlocked.

I have a great memory, it's just a little short! :eek:4:

Sorry...

-
I just ordered it. Thanks for all the info, it was a big help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The belly pan from wing stuff is the best one out there. Easy install easy to preform a oil change looks good too.:agree:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The belly pan from wing stuff is the best one out there. Easy install easy to preform a oil change looks good too.:agree:
The part is ordered. Thanks for the post. I was stationed down your way for a few years. Peanut Island WPB and Miami.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do the louvers get in the way when you lift the bike? Or does it damage any of the louvers when the lift hits them?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Do the louvers get in the way when you lift the bike? Or does it damage any of the louvers when the lift hits them?
I would imagine that will be a problem with any belly pan, louvers or not.

They all are positioned so that the bottom of the pan does NOT touch the bottom of the engine. So, if you put any kind of lift arm under the engine there, you are going to put a kink in the pan somewhere.

I have a talbe lift, so that's not an issue for me. Maybe others who have belly pans and lift their bikes with PitBull type side lifts will give you their experience with this.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Make sure you remove the protective film on both sides of the pan. The pan does get hot and it will melt the film and stink really bad. Don't ask me how I know this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts