GL1800Riders Forums banner

Belly pan

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Kiwi 
#1 ·
It is obvious where the new belly pan should go but after I took off the (2) 10mm screws and loosened the 5mm Allen bolt from the lower faring (all on the sick stand side) the gray lower portion of the side panel won't budge. I am afraid to force it. Is there something else holding it on? What am I missing?
PP

#2 ·
It is obvious where the new belly pan should go but after I took off the (2) 10mm screws and loosened the 5mm Allen bolt from the lower faring (all on the sick stand side) the gray lower portion of the side panel won't budge. I am afraid to force it. Is there something else holding it on? What am I missing?
PP

Get a flashlight and look at it closely. They are studs sticking out and the sheet metal has to go over them to get it on correctly.

#3 ·
If you loosen the bolts, the pan should slide under the grey panel. There's a recessed area (for lack of a better word) for each bolt and the belly pan must go underneath the recesses. Look closely and you will see what I'm talking about.

I had a little trouble with that when I installed mine.

2W

#4 ·
Mine were stuck on pretty tight last time I pulled off the belly pan. It had been on a couple of years. I pulled out very carefully with my fingers near the bolts. You could probably pry very carefully with a screw driver close to the bolts. I also replaced the fiber washers. Damn, they're like $2.50 each from honda.

#6 ·
This is all new and I’m no mechanic but with your help the pan is installed. :excited: The problem was that I was trying to remove the lower side panel (I almost got the first side completely taken off before realizing that it just needed to be slipped on and held in place while the other side was pulled out just enough to get it over the pegs.
Tue when the dealer opens I will see if they have the fiber washer.
I need your help again; what is the purpose of the fiber washers?
In all the confusion I don’t remember if the washers go inside or outside of the panel or if the fiber faces in or out.
Thanx to all.

#7 ·
This is all new and I’m no mechanic but with your help the pan is installed. :excited: The problem was that I was trying to remove the lower side panel (I almost got the first side completely taken off before realizing that it just needed to be slipped on and held in place while the other side was pulled out just enough to get it over the pegs.
Tue when the dealer opens I will see if they have the fiber washer.
I need your help again; what is the purpose of the fiber washers?
In all the confusion I don’t remember if the washers go inside or outside of the panel or if the fiber faces in or out.
Thanx to all.
There are two fiber washers per bolt. One goes under the plastic panel and one goes on top of it. So, 4 per side or 8 total for the 4 bolts on both sides. You may not need them all. Like I said, they were over $2.00 each last time i bought them.

BTW, in my 05 service manual, they are listed as "new", so maybe earlier wings had something else. Anyway, they protect the plastic from heat, so I like having them there.

#9 ·
To install a belly pan.
1) remove the front lower engine cover.
2) remove the front exhaust sheilds.
- remove front bolt on each side and on each side there are 2 black nuts.
3) pull the shields down and out to clear the 2 studs where the nuts came from.
4) then pull the sheild forward to slide them off their mount tabs.

To reinstall, you may need 8 new "heat protection" washer like others are talking about above. And 8 new rubber covers for the mount tabs ... they get torn. Just order them and have them available. Your dealer will probably not stock them. I go through dozens of them.

Here is the link for a get togethe during WingDing for anyone on the board wanting to get together.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286007

wimpyhonda needs a head count

#10 ·
Ta for that Greg.

I have a Belly Pan to fit up.
The instructions are
1 Place on center stand.
2- Disassemble the B P into 2 pieces
3 – Unbolt side covers, so you can slip back a portion of the pan on to the bolts.
4 – Install the back portion of the pan behind the covers and tighten the bolts.
5 – Install the front portion etc
No mention of the washers

#11 ·
To install a belly pan.
1) remove the front lower engine cover.
2) remove the front exhaust sheilds.
- remove front bolt on each side and on each side there are 2 black nuts.
3) pull the shields down and out to clear the 2 studs where the nuts came from.
4) then pull the sheild forward to slide them off their mount tabs.

To reinstall, you may need 8 new "heat protection" washer like others are talking about above. And 8 new rubber covers for the mount tabs ... they get torn. Just order them and have them available. Your dealer will probably not stock them. I go through dozens of them.

Here is the link for a get togethe during WingDing for anyone on the board wanting to get together.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286007

wimpyhonda needs a head count
Number 1 and 2 are not required, at least not with the Tulsa.

#12 ·
I fitted the pan this morning. I removed the 4 bolts and managed to slip the pan under the cover, replaced the bolts to a loose fit, then slipped the pan as far forward as it would go, then tightened the bolts. The fibre washes were slightly crushed on inspection but in good condition, so I did not replace them. Also I was surprised how little torque was applied to the bolts when I removed them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.