GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GL1800 has a two-piece belly pan with the smaller front piece having two twist-to-lock screws for secure attachment. Try as I might I cannot get one of them to relock. The other locks fine.

Any tips on getting this fastener to re-lock?

·
Registered
927 Posts
My GL1800 has a two-piece belly pan with the smaller front piece having two twist-to-lock screws for secure attachment. Try as I might I cannot get one of them to relock. The other locks fine.

Any tips on getting this fastener to re-lock?
Belly pans are thin, and generally not manufactured as a precision part. It's all too easy to distort them and have this problem.

If you can't simply get enough force going up to get the fastener bits aligned before turning, I'm afraid the solution may be to pull the pan, see what's going on, and fix it, maybe by bending something a bit. The good news is that once you've done that, you may understand well enough to avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have that same problem since my belly pan got bent from hitting a tire gator. Make sure the two pieces are flat and the holes line up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My old Marine Corps friend, and I spend forty minutes getting the front part of the belly pan from his Trike off. It had done it's job and was hanging from the two connectors on the back part. Talk about twisted metal. We were about three hours East of Fairbanks, Alaska. I love those pans. They are worth every penny. Lots of people stopped to talk as we kept working. Note to all riders in the rain, "Watch those water filled pot holes." They can be deep. It was nice that the rain stopped so we could work. Our wives just enjoyed the adventure.

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
The peg of the fastener has to enter the hole, be pushed in and then twisted a quarter turn. The layers may be seperated, thus, push in firmly before turning. It may help if you hold your tongue just right. A friend of mine said he put a little hair around the hole and that made it much easier to find.

prs

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Here's what to do: I've had mine off and on a hundred times. Fasten the one that is the easy one, then take two screwdrivers, one slotted stubby that fits the slot good and one long thinner driver. Lay on your side, point a flashlight into the area, push your bottom driver and turn fastener, use other driver to get behind the flexible upper metal tab ( the one that the screw has to seat into ) and push it down to meet the tip of the fastener. It does help to swear a little if you have to.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Try reversing the order in which you fasten them. If the pan is slightly out of whack, fastening the one side makes it near impossible to get the other side in. If the "bad" fastener won't fasten first, then you have more work to do to figure out why. Otherwise, just remember the correct order.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I have to take this thing completely off I am talking to the shop and have a nut tacked on the back so i can get thread a bolt into this damn thing.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll try some more techniques when it cools off this evening

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Dzus fasteners could be a pain. Your problem is with the figure 8 spring on the receiving part. It is most likely too far away for the slot on the dzus to catch. I would check the good side for depth and match the bad side by pushing down or pressing with a needle nose.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have the 2-piece Tulsa belly pan (paid for itself a year ago) and have the same issue. One side of the front piece fastens easily enough, but the other just hates to seat itself. After having only limited success with a long, flat bladed screwdriver in, I found that I can reach the dzus fastener female part with the tip of my index finger. I can push it down just a hair, but it's enough to give the male piece enough space to come all the way up and seat itself. Using a flashlight I could see that there is very limited space between the dzus faster female receiver and the bottom of the engine. If the belly pan is not perfectly flat, you run into these issues. It's a PIA, but you get used to it.

OTOH, I got my wife a one piece belly pan from Wingstuff, for her 1800 when she had it, and never had any problem putting it one or taking it off. Always worked well.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have the same pan and have had the same problem. No advice but to keep trying. I did try the problem one first and then the other and that did the trick.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
A drill and a couple of metal screws will solve the problem.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A drill and a couple of metal screws will solve the problem.
Get some long screws, go straight into engine case, it'll
be nice and solid then! :cool:

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dzus fasteners could be a pain. Your problem is with the figure 8 spring on the receiving part. It is most likely too far away for the slot on the dzus to catch. I would check the good side for depth and match the bad side by pushing down or pressing with a needle nose.
I removed the belly pan as it only has for nuts holding it and mine had only two since apparently the other two came off. Once removed it is easy to see the issue is exactly as you suggest, a very slight compression of the fastener solves the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts