GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing a BellyPan on my 2012 level three Gl1800.

Please post pros and cons, including louvered v non-louvered, aluminum v steel, or any other first hand experience. Uniformed opinons are also welcome!:lol:

Thanks.
bbc

·
Registered
267 Posts
which one you pick will be better than none at all.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have the heavy duty stainless louvered one. Easy to remove the front part to change the oil and so on.

The louvers also gain me an additional 15 horsepower.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
the small dings and dents they absorb would not hurt the engine anyway

if you get a really BIG WHAMMO
(enough to poke a hole in the engine case)
they don't do any good anyway and won't protect anything
.. and most small pokes or cracks in the engine case can be easily fixed with epoxy
(been there done that)

IMHO... belly pans...
they are of no real help
(unless your wallet is too fat and needs some "thinning")

IMHO...

fire suit on...
Dennis

·
Registered
993 Posts
:agree:with Kit... Except he wasted $$ on the louvers. Mine is smooth and I get 21.545hp more with the pan. Go for it! YMMV.

BTW, Dennis may still be recovering from his "All Answers" marathon dialog and hasn't caught his breath yet, therefor his answer may be skewed...:bow:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
:agree:with Kit... Except he wasted $$ on the louvers. Mine is smooth and I get 21.545hp more with the pan. Go for it! YMMV.

BTW, Dennis may still be recovering from his "All Answers" marathon dialog and hasn't caught his breath yet, therefor his answer may be skewed...:bow:
I polished my smooth one,and I get 21.546 more horsepower,but it does make the engine run hotter,without the holes in it:coffee1:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I 've had the "solid" one for several years or about 75,000 miles.

Don't know if it's done any real good or not. To be sure, there are plenty of battle scars on it. The extra protection seemed and seems to make sense, at least to me.

Can't speak about vented model. But I've never felt my bike ever ran hot.

Of course, the fact that I'm getting about 70 MPG doesn't hurt...

(for those with NO sense of humor, I'm kidding... about the MPG)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
MY wife had the single piece non-louvered belly pan on her 1800 and got 26 extra HP, never had to use a crush washer, and the air filter became a lifetime filter. No need to change. The biggest benefit was after installing the belly pan, her tires never cupped after that. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm the one that had the belly pan on and cracked both cases in the construction area....$6666.15 to repair. (I get it back tomorrow). I would call that first hand. I will be keeping the pan because it does protect the engine from minor damage. I like the smooth look. I am just the unlucky one to hit it just right and caused the major damage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got the smooth one for my Hannigan trike ............ but only because I felt the louvered one might scrub off too much reverse speed .......

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Oh my, this could get fun. I have the solid aluminum. Never noticed a difference with it other than the big gouges in it when I change the oil. I wonder what I have hit over time to get them. LOL

Anyhoo, the 2 piece is the only real deal breaker for me. Get the two piece, it takes a whole 2 minutes longer for the oil change.

Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a louvered pan.....it can't hurt and someday it may save some problems........I have a Titanium bike, the fastest color....makes up for the louvers.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sharp edges

I have the heavy duty stainless louvered one. Easy to remove the front part to change the oil and so on.

The louvers also gain me an additional 15 horsepower.
Same here. The only issues is the the pan edges are very sharp - be careful. I used a dremel tools and rounded off the edges.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
the small dings and dents they absorb would not hurt the engine anyway

if you get a really BIG WHAMMO
(enough to poke a hole in the engine case)
they don't do any good anyway and won't protect anything
.. and most small pokes or cracks in the engine case can be easily fixed with epoxy
(been there done that)

IMHO... belly pans...
they are of no real help
(unless your wallet is too fat and needs some "thinning")

IMHO...

fire suit on...
Dennis
:agree:eek:verall . The overflow bottle under there is only plastic so I think a mini belly shielding the bottom it might be a good idea. May add like 30hp and not all the weight:D

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Same here. The only issues is the the pan edges are very sharp - be careful. I used a dremel tools and rounded off the edges.
I am trying to teach myself to use gloves for work on the bike. I lay them on the tool bench, each time I forget and take off some more skin I remember to wear them.

I will get it figured out soon. Lol!

·
Registered
999 Posts
2 pc SS w/louvers - don't have to balance tires anymore.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just installed a 2piece louvered on my 2012. Easy install. I had the same type on my 2008 for 3 years, and you can definitely see that it takes some punishment that would normally be taken by the bottom of the engine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cannot believe that out of all these posts, only one member pointed out the reason for the belly pan. If I was to buy one to protect the bottom of the engine, I would say Honda better design a better set up. I would say they need a better set up for the coolant tank but they would not listen. The only reason for the belly pan is to prevent punctured to the coolant tank and make your bike more aerodynamic:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts